Water in Basement solutions

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I have an issue with water making its way into my basement. It comes from the sprinklers and sometimes when the ground is super saturated from rain. Anyone have a contact, or experience with a company that can give me some options to identify and fix the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Make is a swimming pool!

Finished or unfinished basement?

Does the ground outside slope towards the house by the wet spot?

Is it by a window?

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Make is a swimming pool!

Finished or unfinished basement?

Does the ground outside slope towards the house by the wet spot?

Is it by a window?

Finished, grade away from house, yes by a window, but the window is above grade.

ID Bronco

I had a similar problem. Here is what finally (fingers crossed) worked

1. Dug huge hole, patched crack in foundation, put some fancy foundation coat stuff on it.
2. Filled hole and graded more steeply away from the house.
3. Put rain gutters above it.

With all of that we have been water free for a couple of years. (knocking on wood)

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
We moved into our house in Draper June of 2011 after a winter with huge snow falls.
The finished basement started taking on water the day we moved in. Not a happy camper.
Our solution was to knock a hole in the floor and put in a large 2" sewage/sump pump in a 36" deep sump.
I calculated from the dimensions that every time the pump ran it would pump out 32 gallons and that spring, the pump would come on every 45 sec.
I've since added a second 12v backup pump and deep cycle battery.
A couple years back, they redid the drainage in conjunction with the new Draper High School and the pump hasn't run a single time since.
Bottom line, if there is positive pressure from water outside the structure, it will find a way in. Removing the water is the best solution.

edit: I had a local plumber put the pump in, core drill the foundation wall and curb, and run the drain line to dump into the street for 2K$

Last edited:

ricsrx

funny you should bring this up....after the rain last week, it saturated the ground and then the sprinklers added enough to flood my basement, we didn't notice it until Sunday afternoon, spend the day digging up my grass for the sprinkler lines thinking i had a busted line but no, it was just the right amount of water from my heads....

Tonkaman

I would start by cutting through the drywall inside where you suspect the leak to be. Then you should be able to identify where it's coming in from. Most likely from the window above or a crack in the concrete. Either option is a simple fix. You will also be able to verify any water damage inside the wall

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to call the company listed above and get a quote before moving forward. I don't have a lot of time to tackle the repair unless it's going to be more than a few $k.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Check the seal around your windows. In my old house the basement windows had no calk between them and the concrete. Water ran right through the gaps on two windows. I had to rip out the walls around the windows and replace everything. I then calked every basement window I had. No issues after that.