Welding the rear end of a toyota

toyotajunk2

I know this has been talked about before. People for welding the rear and people against it. Here is my question. I am getting 5:29 gears for my Toy. If I weld the rear and it breaks what does it actually tear up. Do I need to replace gears again if it breaks or are they okay? So worst case scenario. Is it cheaper to buy an actual locker now or to fix a broken weld later?

toyotajunk2

I have heard good things about the Aussie locker. If I do get one it will probably be an Aussie. But between gears and a locker I am looking at over $500. So I wonder, welding is cheap but is it going to cost me more in the end. I have learned from experience do it right the first time, its cheaper. But I have heard good things about welding, but there is bad.

O'neal

?????????
toyotajunk2 said:
I know this has been talked about before. People for welding the rear and people against it. Here is my question. I am getting 5:29 gears for my Toy. If I weld the rear and it breaks what does it actually tear up. Do I need to replace gears again if it breaks or are they okay? So worst case scenario. Is it cheaper to buy an actual locker now or to fix a broken weld later?
If I was running new gear's,I would put a locker in also.

toyotajunk2

So welding is really only worth it if you don't care about what happens in the third member? If the weld breaks its all pretty much shot?

O'neal

?????????
toyotajunk2 said:
So welding is really only worth it if you don't care about what happens in the third member? If the weld breaks its all pretty much shot?
I'm just saying that if your running new gear's you might as well put in a locker.Both my diff's are welded and are solid,never had any problem's other than alittle more tire wear and beside's 4:10 diff's are everywhere in my garage:rofl: .If they are welded right,they wont break and if you do weld them I'd get the gear's good and broke in,pull the diff,clean real well and make sure you dont get any goober's/slag and such on your ring and pinion or in the spline's and use wet rag's in place's to keep everything out.

offroaddave

It's just one term!
84toy said:
I'm just saying that if your running new gear's you might as well put in a locker.Both my diff's are welded and are solid,never had any problem's other than alittle more tire wear and beside's 4:10 diff's are everywhere in my garage:rofl: .If they are welded right,they wont break and if you do weld them I'd get the gear's good and broke in,pull the diff,clean real well and make sure you dont get any goober's/slag and such on your ring and pinion or in the spline's and use wet rag's in place's to keep everything out.

AGREED!!!!
I'm also weled in my toy. screwed it up the first time and it cost WAY more than a locker. bought a new third for $4oo. (ouch, 4.30 gears?) And now i have spare spiders if it breaks, But thev'e held up for about three years so far.

Floppy Hat

mbryson's hairdresser
There really isn't any way to be sure what all will break if the welds fail. It could range from needing new spriders to having to replace the entire third member. But $50 aside each month for the next 5 months and do both the gears and the Aussie.

DToy

I put a spool in the rear of my 4Runner about a year and a half ago. Even though I rarely drive it on the street I still don't really like the spool. It's harder on tires, noisy, and tons of body roll when turning corners on the road. It really tweaks the suspension from side to side. I would love to replace it with an Aussie - anyone got a spare Toy V-6 carrier laying around?

There's a 95% chance you won't like it welded whether it holds up or not. I would flip for an Aussie at a minimum.

Hilux Guy

Klune-V builder
Chunks

Your worst worry with a welded rear is that , upon failure , Chunks of what used to be your sides and spiders can become lodged in your ring and pinion , taking them out with 'em. For the price of a spool , I'd go that route instead