Wanted Well I'm in scouts again... I need gear!

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
It's been over ten years since I've been a scout leader now I guess it's my turn again. I'd like some great condition gear if you guys have any. I'd like a two man tent that's is packable and can be pretty much put up anywhere with ease. I'd also like a sleeping mat of some sort. I think it would be cool to have one of those cots with a built in tent for camps close to the truck.
What else do the cool scout leaders have these days? I'm so out of touch on this kind of camping it's scary. I'm sure these 12 year olds will be schooling me big time.

First camp out is Friday so I need some stuff soon.

Thanks.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I have a 4 man Coleman tent that is easy to setup. I'd let it go for $40. Recreation outlet has some pad for relatively cheap. They also have cots that aren't too expensive.

Another cool thing to have around is a long, small diameter pipe to use to blow concentrated air in the fire. I cut the ends off an old ski pole and it works great.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Back in the day we used to pack as many boys and leaders into tents as possible. I guess that's not cool now as they all seem to use their own tents. Most of my gear now is based around my family, so I have a large tent and air mattresses already. Just looking for smaller one man type stuff.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I was hoping to be put into scouts but it didn't happen. :(

Every scout leader needs a good fire poker. (stolen picture) I'm sure you could whip up something slick.

CFW2013045_crop.jpg

Troop92

Every scout leader needs a good fire poker. (stolen picture) I'm sure you could whip up something slick.

Yep, but ONLY to be used by the scout leader. Our boys are forbidden to touch the fire, unless they're getting it going or putting a log on. Too many burns, things melted, etc.

Scour KSL for deals.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Congrats. But that is my worst nitemare. I'm over the Teachers. We only go 4 times a year and that is enough for me with other people's kids. Our ward makes the deacons get their eagle and all scouting finished before they turn 14.

I have a nice ground tent. I think its a coleman. I've only used it a few times. I just got a roof top tent, so I doubt I'll ever use it again. I think its a 4 person. it sets up pretty easily. I'll let it go, but you'd have to come up to Layton to get it.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I stopped by Backcountry on my way home from work and ending up getting a Eureka Apex 2xt tent. 20% off put it about $120. I think it should meet my needs ok. I also picked up a Klymit static v2 sleeping pad.

I'm pretty happy about how small the pad packs. Little bigger than a can of soda. I'd like the tent to pack a bit smaller. I could get a compression bag to help with that.

If you guys have used this stuff, tell me your thoughts on it. If they are junk I can return them.

I'd also like a pack to put this stuff in and now I'm thinking about a new sleeping bag. Mine is really good (I really don't know any better) but I think I'd like one that packs smaller to fit the new pack, if I get one. Each of these would need to be in the $100 range. Any recommendations?

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I bought my bag and mattress at smith and edwards. Its a 0 degree mummy bag for $45. It comes with a nice compression sack and is pretty warm. I also got a self-inflating pad. it was about $65 but worth it. When I get back I can see what brands they were.

ID Bronco

I miss scouts, I end up going with my 12 year old about half the time. It's nice being there as a dad and not having the responsibility. I really enjoyed scoutmaster though. Embrace it and you can have a great impact on the boys. Show them things they would never see or do otherwise.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I don'd miss scouts at all :) scout master for 4ish years..
I have vowed to not ever go back, which may get complicated when my boy gets older..

Edit: But I should mention I think that the ideas and teaching, especially at local levels, are wise and important to our youth, especially in the area I previously lived.

you will be an awesome scout leader!

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I stopped by Backcountry on my way home from work and ending up getting a Eureka Apex 2xt tent. 20% off put it about $120. I think it should meet my needs ok. I also picked up a Klymit static v2 sleeping pad.

I'm pretty happy about how small the pad packs. Little bigger than a can of soda. I'd like the tent to pack a bit smaller. I could get a compression bag to help with that.

If you guys have used this stuff, tell me your thoughts on it. If they are junk I can return them.

I'd also like a pack to put this stuff in and now I'm thinking about a new sleeping bag. Mine is really good (I really don't know any better) but I think I'd like one that packs smaller to fit the new pack, if I get one. Each of these would need to be in the $100 range. Any recommendations?

I have a Klymit Static V, it like it a lot. It's hard to find a pad in that price range that keeps my fat butt off the ground all night.

How big a pack are you needing? You need to know how much room you need before you can shop a pack. I have a couple in some different sizes you're welcome to put your stuff in and see how it fits.