well, the verdict is in...wife's upcoming ride

X

XT Utah

I just now saw this thread so here is my 2 cents...

I have a 2004 Xterra. It has the 3.3L non-supercharged motor and it has NO BALLS. It does not really meet my needs but I still think it's a great vehicle.

2005 and later have the 4.0L motor which has a lot more power. Also, 2005 and later have the knob instead of the transfer case lever. Depending on which model you get, it comes with an electric rear locker. I think it's the "Off-Road" version that has the locker.

Now if you want to some more than mild wheeling in it, say, when the wife is on vacation or something :p then expect to break off plastic things (like you see on the pics from previous posts). Also, anticipate dents just under the doors unless you put on rock sliders.

If you want to do hardcore wheeling, plan on other more $$$ stuff happening on the trail. For example, CV's, hubs, rings and pinions, transfer cases, etc. There has even been reports of the rear diff coming apart in the xterras with the e-locker. Supposedly this is because to accomodate the locker unit in the existing axle, the ring is thinner than what you would find in the non-locked Xterra rear axle.

A great source for information is on xterraownersclub.com. Here's a great thread from that site discussing the "Off Road" vs. the "S" Xterra:

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=78;t=000400

Also there is some good aftermarket stuff available.

ARB -- Bumpers, snorkel and more
Warn -- Winch, of course! :)
Calmini -- Bumpers, lift, rock sliders, skidplates and more
Shrockworks -- Bumpers, rock sliders, skidplates

I think your wife will love the Xterra. It's reliable, comfortable, great for camping and exploring and it's pretty cabable.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Like I said, sis and hubs love their Xterra. He put 32's on it, may bring it to Moab this year. Don't some of those come with a rear locker?

my father in law has an '07 xterra and loves it! he does some mild wheeling with it... pretty sure it has f/r limited slip

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I've got about a 1,000 miles on my JK now. You know where I work, I'll let you take it for a spin.

....and after that, drive the red softtop model, it has a Unichip in it and an intake. No blower, no radical cool stuff, just an Airaid intake and the chip. It also has crappy 3.73 gears, but it's still pretty fast-like, on 35's.

good trucks Nissans. I have a 2000 frontier crew cab as my DD. Bought it new and have nearly 90,000 miles on it now. It has been the best pick up I have ever owned. I have had 0 problems with this truck. It is my understanding that the xterra is basicly the same truck.
So last year we needed a new tow rig/family ride for the wife. anyway we went with the Armada. It is an outstanding truck, plenty of room and the Wife loves it(traded her 03 h2 off for it). It towwes my 18 ft car hauler with my crawler (about 8700 lbs) like its not even there. Next year I will be replaceing the frontier with a Titan. I will never by a new truck that isn't a Nissan.
Enjoy the xterra.

redbulltj

I'm a cutter
for what it is worth.....I will never buy a new vehicle again. If I bought a used vehicle from a dealer....there is only one I trust....Carmax.

My last two vehicles were purchased there with a 3 year warranty. Hands down the best service! No pressure sales and no questions warranty service.

Impressive company and hopefully future employer.

just my three cents.

TK1

Full Mall Crawler Status
The drivetrain is stronger in the first gen Xterras (pre 05) but the 4.0 motor is much better. The Nissan axles are much sronger than the Dana axles in the new ones. I have beat the tar out of my 2002 and have not broken anything, I don't wheel it any more because dirtbikes are waaaaaaay more fun than wheeling.

We had a rental 08 liberty for a month while my wifes car was getting fixed and it was a nice ride just way too small in the back to carry anything.

RuggedH2

Just doing my thing.
There is much to admire in the new JK, I think Jeep did a great job with that rig.

The engine has plenty of torque for the rocks, dirt and mud. On road however......lacking.

The H3 has taken tons of abuse for it's lack of power.....mostly from people that don't go off road. GM put a bigger engine in the base model and then brought an optional V8.

The JK suffers from the same problem. Driving home with my friend, from Moab (to SLC) the H2 walks away from the JK up every hill in cruise control, and the H2 is around 8000 pounds.

I have friends with both 35's and 37's on JK's (both have also re-geared) and both have mentioned the lack of power on the road.....they are fine off road, but for city driving....I'm sure the Nissan moves out better.

Last edited:

STPPINZ

Just another grocery getter -

DSC07688.jpg

DSC04890.jpg

Last edited:

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I just now saw this thread so here is my 2 cents...

I have a 2004 Xterra. It has the 3.3L non-supercharged motor and it has NO BALLS. It does not really meet my needs but I still think it's a great vehicle.

2005 and later have the 4.0L motor which has a lot more power. Also, 2005 and later have the knob instead of the transfer case lever. Depending on which model you get, it comes with an electric rear locker. I think it's the "Off-Road" version that has the locker.

Now if you want to some more than mild wheeling in it, say, when the wife is on vacation or something :p then expect to break off plastic things (like you see on the pics from previous posts). Also, anticipate dents just under the doors unless you put on rock sliders.

If you want to do hardcore wheeling, plan on other more $$$ stuff happening on the trail. For example, CV's, hubs, rings and pinions, transfer cases, etc. There has even been reports of the rear diff coming apart in the xterras with the e-locker. Supposedly this is because to accomodate the locker unit in the existing axle, the ring is thinner than what you would find in the non-locked Xterra rear axle.

A great source for information is on xterraownersclub.com. Here's a great thread from that site discussing the "Off Road" vs. the "S" Xterra:

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=78;t=000400

Also there is some good aftermarket stuff available.

ARB -- Bumpers, snorkel and more
Warn -- Winch, of course! :)
Calmini -- Bumpers, lift, rock sliders, skidplates and more
Shrockworks -- Bumpers, rock sliders, skidplates

I think your wife will love the Xterra. It's reliable, comfortable, great for camping and exploring and it's pretty cabable.

I hope this helps!

You forgot some of the other things you have broken like wheel studs, motor mounts, body sheet metal cracks, etc.... John is nuts and probably pushes his X harder than 99.999% of any SUV owners. It always amazes me how he can get it places no semi-stock righ should ever go.

I'm not a big fan of the H3 but with the bigger engine it seems like it would be a capable DD/weekend wheeler with its off road package (rear locker, 4:1, 32" tires). The same goes for the new FJ crusier but I hear that both the H3 and the Crusier have shat for visibility. Its like driving a WWII pill box.