Were you doing algebra in 3rd grade?

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
I was one of those smart kids who started algebra in middle school and read the encyclopedia for fun, I guess it comes with being the son of a teacher. If I hadn't discovered skiing, girls, and partying I likely would have went to a top school in the northeast like MIT instead of joining the Army.

Ahh don't be so hard on yourself.. here, let me pour you another one... :rofl:

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
In the dark ages when I was in school we didn't get to learn algebra till junior high. My dad taught shop and I still get a kick out of his interesting "builder tricks" for cutting wood which are just simple ways to do geometry without calling it math. My kids got algebra problems in elementary but they didn't teach them any algebra to help them out, they just expected the kids to trial and error the solution. When my daughter got those impossible take home math problems I taught her algebra, vector math, and geometry which helped her be one of the only kids to get the problems correct. I was worried that one day she would have to explain how she came up with the answers when she was the only one who got it right. One day the teacher had her get in front of the class and draw up the answer to one of the problems that only she got right and luckily the teaching had sunk in and she drew up the vector math solution to the problem for the class. It was interesting to see the difference in kids, my oldest daughter picked it right up right away and my second daughter never could figure it out.

Last edited:

DAA

Supporting Member
Same with my kids - they brought home the algebra type homework problems in elementary, but nobody had said boo to them about how the hell they were supposed to do them. Son truly loves math. I mean, loves it. Second year at the U in engineering now and taking all the math they will let him - those non linear, differential, quadratic, whatever the heck, that's his favorite class. Baby girl, I think she might actually be "smarter", but she hates math and struggles with it every year. Just the differences between them, like you said.

I only have an eighth grade education, myself, so the math my daughter is doing now in sixth grade is pretty close to as far as I got. Glad my son is around to help with homework next year!

- DAA

blznnp

Same with my kids - they brought home the algebra type homework problems in elementary, but nobody had said boo to them about how the hell they were supposed to do them. Son truly loves math. I mean, loves it. Second year at the U in engineering now and taking all the math they will let him - those non linear, differential, quadratic, whatever the heck, that's his favorite class. Baby girl, I think she might actually be "smarter", but she hates math and struggles with it every year. Just the differences between them, like you said.

I only have an eighth grade education, myself, so the math my daughter is doing now in sixth grade is pretty close to as far as I got. Glad my son is around to help with homework next year!

- DAA
man if your son loves doing that math, I'm sure he will continue to do good for the rest of his engineering classes. I am about to go to the U for engineering and man was I happy to be done with those math classes and pass, not with A's but I passed. not looking forward to the next math class at the U

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
man if your son loves doing that math, I'm sure he will continue to do good for the rest of his engineering classes. I am about to go to the U for engineering and man was I happy to be done with those math classes and pass, not with A's but I passed. not looking forward to the next math class at the U

Remember B's and C's get degrees. I didn't really feel like the math got much more difficult rather just cascaded upon the earlier concepts. I went through the U's Mechanical Engineering program from 04-06. Fantastic experience even if the math sucked :)

blznnp

Remember B's and C's get degrees. I didn't really feel like the math got much more difficult rather just cascaded upon the earlier concepts. I went through the U's Mechanical Engineering program from 04-06. Fantastic experience even if the math sucked :)
Oh I know, that's all I keep telling myself with b's and c's. I have a fair amount of a's also. I guess what I meant was that understanding all the concepts and all the different ways of solving problems for the math, will probably help him the. In the highere classes to problem solve and bring the different formulas together or using derivatives to pretty much solve for anything. Me personally, I need the formulas and not huge derivations, but that also depends on the teacher and if the method they use.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
This doesn't make sense. You discovered girls and partying so instead of college you went to the army.
College=girls
Army=dudes
College=party
Army=daily inspections

Sounds like you should have studied common sense in middle school.

I killed any chance of getting a scholarship and the Army would pay for college, live and learn. But a 2 1/2 year paid for by the Army "vacation" in Europe wasn't so bad though, plenty to see and do.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I killed any chance of getting a scholarship and the Army would pay for college, live and learn. But a 2 1/2 year paid for by the Army "vacation" in Europe wasn't so bad though, plenty to see and do.

Oh. You thought you were going to go to MIT on a scholarship. I get it…..sort of.

DAA

Supporting Member
So, my son got offered Presidential scholarships from several schools, is attending the U on an Honors On Entry academic scholarship, has another scholarship for completing his Associates while still in high school, he's a lifetime 4.0 (his Associates degree - graduated with High Honors and first 3 semesters at the U included - engineering school Deans list etc.). Has a good extracurricular resume. Etc., etc. He applied for several ivy league schools including MIT and wasn't even accepted at any of them - at all. Not talking scholarship, just simply being accepted to pay his own way.

Flip side of course, is a kid I hung out with long ago, party animal, below average student, skipped class to party almost as much as I did, several scrapes with the law had been in DT, etc. Heck, he wasn't even a citizen, he was Columbian and here on an expired diplomatic visa. Super rich Dad. He went to Stanford, took it for granted that he could go to any school he wanted - money talks.

- DAA

mesha

By endurance we conquer
So, my son got offered Presidential scholarships from several schools, is attending the U on an Honors On Entry academic scholarship, has another scholarship for completing his Associates while still in high school, he's a lifetime 4.0 (his Associates degree - graduated with High Honors and first 3 semesters at the U included - engineering school Deans list etc.). Has a good extracurricular resume. Etc., etc. He applied for several ivy league schools including MIT and wasn't even accepted at any of them - at all. Not talking scholarship, just simply being accepted to pay his own way.

Flip side of course, is a kid I hung out with long ago, party animal, below average student, skipped class to party almost as much as I did, several scrapes with the law had been in DT, etc. Heck, he wasn't even a citizen, he was Columbian and here on an expired diplomatic visa. Super rich Dad. He went to Stanford, took it for granted that he could go to any school he wanted - money talks.

- DAA

People don't understand how hard it is to get into MIT etc. if you are a middle america type person. If admission is that hard imagine a scholarship.

p.s. if your son is looking for a close to campus job at the U I might have a spot open for him. Most of the tutors we use are from the U and in science or engineering. The pay is REALLY good for a part time college job. PM me if he is interested.

Last edited:

DAA

Supporting Member
Yup.

It's the real Golden Ticket if you can get there though. You'll be meeting future senators and CEO's every day. Later, those contacts can provide access to the privileged America, where you can afford justice etc.

- DAA