What are you listening to?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Over the weekend, the wife and I headed down to Vegas to catch a show at the MGM Grand Arena.

The opening act was a relatively new band from Atlanta called The Funeral Portrait.
Concert1TFP.jpg
Based on their FB page, they seem to be aiming for some sort of evil/death/satanic persona. I'm not really hip to that, but their music was on point and (we both thought) they sounded really good.

After them was a Russian deathcore band called Slaughter To Prevail.
Concert2STP.jpg
These guys are complete followers of the death metal tradition--guttural lyrics backed by just a bunch of noise. Seriously, I was complaining about them right off the bat. Even when listening carefully, I couldn't pick out a single actual melody. They weren't playing instruments so much as simply trying to make them produce constant, non-stop noise. It was extremely grating, and it could not end soon enough for me.

Following them was some weirdo named Marilyn Manson (whose hella bright lights made it almost impossible to get a photo).
Concert3MM.jpg
MM is widely known, and I'm sure you already have your own opinions of his music. I'll just say he isn't my cup of tea, but at least I respect him and his group musically, Particularly after the last group, it was refreshing to hear actual music being played. He does lose points for his light show, as it included many LED light bars that were blindingly, headache-inducingly bright. Most of the lights were okay, so you'd be watching him perform and suddenly all the really bright lights would simultaneously go super nova and sear your retinas. For much of his set, I just sat down and looked away from the stage. Seriously.

And then--finally--came the main event and my wife's favorite band: Five Finger Death Punch.
Concert4FFDP1.jpg

These guys pretty much redefined what a light show can be (absent any drugs and/or Pink Floyd music)... and they didn't burn your eyes out.
Concert4FFDP2.jpg

Concert4FFDP3.jpg

Concert4FFDP4.jpg
Their lights alternated between many colors depending on the song--blue, green, red, and so on. Sorry I didn't photograph a lot of variety.

Oh, did I mention lasers? They had a full array of those, too, also in a multitude of colors which were different for each song that featured them.
Concert4FFDP5.jpg

Concert4FFDP6.jpg
Again, sorry for not photographing some of the other colors.

All in all, it was a great show.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Over the weekend, the wife and I headed down to Vegas to catch a show at the MGM Grand Arena.

The opening act was a relatively new band from Atlanta called The Funeral Portrait.
View attachment 176204
Based on their FB page, they seem to be aiming for some sort of evil/death/satanic persona. I'm not really hip to that, but their music was on point and (we both thought) they sounded really good.

View attachment 176205
These guys are complete followers of the death metal tradition--guttural lyrics backed by just a bunch of noise. Seriously, I was complaining about them right off the bat. Even when listening carefully, I couldn't pick out a single actual melody. They weren't playing instruments so much as simply trying to make them produce constant, non-stop noise. It was extremely grating, and it could not end soon enough for me.

Following them was some weirdo named Marilyn Manson (whose hella bright lights made it almost impossible to get a photo).
View attachment 176206
MM is widely known, and I'm sure you already have your own opinions of his music. I'll just say he isn't my cup of tea, but at least I respect him and his group musically, Particularly after the last group, it was refreshing to hear actual music being played. He does lose points for his light show, as it included many LED light bars that were blindingly, headache-inducingly bright. Most of the lights were okay, so you'd be watching him perform and suddenly all the really bright lights would simultaneously go super nova and sear your retinas. For much of his set, I just sat down and looked away from the stage. Seriously.

And then--finally--came the main event and my wife's favorite band: Five Finger Death Punch.
View attachment 176207

These guys pretty much redefined what a light show can be (absent any drugs and/or Pink Floyd music)... and they didn't burn your eyes out.
View attachment 176208

View attachment 176209

View attachment 176210
Their lights alternated between many colors depending on the song--blue, green, red, and so on. Sorry I didn't photograph a lot of variety.

Oh, did I mention lasers? They had a full array of those, too, also in a multitude of colors which were different for each song that featured them.
View attachment 176211

View attachment 176212

I'd go to that show!

Tonkaman

View attachment 176204

View attachment 176205

View attachment 176206

View attachment 176207

View attachment 176208

View attachment 176209

View attachment 176210

View attachment 176211

View attachment 176212

Wow that looks incredible! I did not know the first band, but I listen to all of the others.