What are you watching?

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Slow Horses on Apple TV. Its hilarious. If you have ATV but haven't watched it, do it.

The new season just started but I decided to re-watch season 2 first. I'm only in a couple episodes but I'm sitting here smiling ear to ear and chuckling every few minutes. Gary Oldman is a dirty old man, grumpy, and openly disdains "his F-ups", but he still takes care of them and defends them. Its like the anti james bond spy show.
I've heard good things about this show, still need to get around to it.

On the topic of "anti-James Bond" shows, have you watched Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (the 1979 mini-series, not the atrocious 2011 movie) and its follow up, Smiley's People? Staring Alec Guinness and based on the books of the same name by John le Carre, these are absolutely brilliant if you're into spy thrillers.

Also, The Sandbaggers. Early 80's British show, magnificent, particularly the first season.

Tonkaman

Slow Horses on Apple TV. Its hilarious. If you have ATV but haven't watched it, do it.

The new season just started but I decided to re-watch season 2 first. I'm only in a couple episodes but I'm sitting here smiling ear to ear and chuckling every few minutes. Gary Oldman is a dirty old man, grumpy, and openly disdains "his F-ups", but he still takes care of them and defends them. Its like the anti james bond spy show.
Sounds great, added to the watch list!

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've heard good things about this show, still need to get around to it.

On the topic of "anti-James Bond" shows, have you watched Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (the 1979 mini-series, not the atrocious 2011 movie) and its follow up, Smiley's People? Staring Alec Guinness and based on the books of the same name by John le Carre, these are absolutely brilliant if you're into spy thrillers.

Also, The Sandbaggers. Early 80's British show, magnificent, particularly the first season.
I need to read some le Carre. They didn’t have color tv in ‘79 did they? I don’t watch shows in black and white. Sorry. 🙄

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I need to read some le Carre. They didn’t have color tv in ‘79 did they? I don’t watch shows in black and white. Sorry. 🙄
Its all in Technicolor, baby!

The 'Karla Trilogy' is le Carre's crowning achievement. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy , The Honourable Schoolboy, and Smiley's People. All part of my collection of first editions as well 😁

IMG_6717.jpeg

Stephen

Who Dares Wins

The 1983 World Rally Championship season is one of the most epic in not just WRC history, but any form of racing. The Lancia 037 vs. Audi Quattro battle is legendary. I've been excited about this movie for awhile now, but in 2020's Hollywood I have my reservations. Hopefully it delivers!

If you want a primer for the movie, The Grand Tour did a great bit on it years ago. But of course, the whole thing isn't on YouTube. Here are the two segments I could find, watch the rest on your Amazon Prime:

Last edited:

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I rewatched Silverado the other night:

Not only is this my favorite Western, it easily ranks as one of my favorite movies as well. The cast, the locations, the cinematography and perhaps above all, the music is just fantastic. Nothing ground breaking about the plot, but it always brings a smile to my face watching the good guys take out the bad guys.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Today is my annual Daddy's Home day. Hopefully I have time to watch both of them today whilst working.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
We watched this last night.

Best. Christmas. Ever! https://g.co/kgs/Uzg1wg

Worst. Christmas. Ever!

Holy ****ing terrible.

At the end, they fly in a solar powered hot air balloon. In the dark. That’s when I shut it off.
As a rule, I generally refuse to watch any Christmas movie made after about 2000. They are all pretty much horribly derivative, intentionally annoying as fvck (I'm looking at you Elf :cody:), or pushing The Message. If I'm going to waste precious holiday cheer time on a movie, it better be worth it!