What cleanes/degreasers/solvents do you use?

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
What cleaners/degreasers/solvents do you use?

Ok,

What types of cleaning agents does everyone use? It seems like I am in a constant state of metamorphasis looking for the ideal degreaser.

Today I used some typical cheapie engine degreaser on our Mazda, followed up with the pressurewasher. Worked real well. Brake cleaner on a rag of course is a staple. I have tried using various brands of citrus degreasers with varying success.

What is this all about? Well for one, the wife gets pissed everytime I spray one little shot of brake cleaner. She has a hypersensitive nose....I want something non toxic if possible. I like the citrus smell of that type of cleaner...but can't seem to find any that is as effective as brake cleaner in getting off the grime.

What do you use? What works? Everything from wiping off the oil film on new steel before you paint it, to cleaning off oil soaked engine parts, to cleaning axles before a new coat of paint.

EZ

Last edited:

Caleb

if its smaller parts you can get the gallon can of parts cleaner at autozone...I used to use that for cleaning carbs and it worked amazingly well...you just put the part in the little basket dip it and let it sit for a little while, when you pull it out you may have a few spots that you have to scrape off (not much though) but most of it you dont even have to touch:cool:

using brake cleaner/carb cleaner is good but it does get spendy...

JeeperG

Toothbrush and Spit?

Or are you trying to clean up Cement? ;)

(Off Topic here but my brother used that new Mr Clean Auto Dry stuff on his Avalanche and Cavalier and that stuff does kick butt)

JeeperG

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
I wouldnt be able to live without simple green, that stuff is amazing. it cleans tires, carpets greasy motors hands and arms. I only buy it from home depot though, it is 8 bucks a gallon there and at walmart or someplace else it will be like 6 or 7 for a half a gallon.

fjcruisin

I use the Kirkland Degreaser....put in a spray bottle. It works as good as any "spray" degreaser. Plus, its environment frienldly :cool:

I buy Wal Mart carb cleaner by the box. It's like .70 cents a can or something like that.
I steam cleaned my bike yesterday. I don't know what chemical they use but this stuff was amazing, just spray it on, leave it a few minutes and everything comes right off.
I should find out what that was.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
simple green and a brush and waterhose.

simple green and a pressure washer for the really bad stuff.

brake cleaner for the little stuff.

chans

Simple Green works really well. For grease and oil on engines and cement I use Oil Eater which they sell at auto parts stores.

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll try some Simple Green (never tried it), and try to find some Zep orange. Hmmmmm Costco Kirkland Degreaser, ay?

EZ

JeeperG

I agree with some simple green, haven't used it for awhile but I did notice a bottle of Castrol degreaser (big purple bottle) in my shed today. But I have yet to use it on a engine or something... Just my driveway and it worked good...

frankenfab

I use mineral spirits in my 20 gallon parts washer. For larger stuff, castrol degreaser is the best. I use it with a brush and a pressure washer.

bottle_superClean_forToughC.jpg