What do you guys think about the 99-01 Super Duty w/7.3L?

Wow that's some great info! I have not bought anything just yet but appreciate any advice :)

I'd go for an '02 7.3 in a heartbeat.

If I didn't already have a 2002 Excursion 7.3 and didn't need an Excursion, I'd buy a 2002 crew cab shorty (and fit it with a bigger tank) I love my '02, and my 46 gallon tank. I love it. I've been very impressed with the towing, and that's bone stock. I know it would have more if I chipped it...but I've wanted to spend the $$ for a chip less than I want more power so I haven't yet. (kowe69, do I have the better tranny? build date is 11-01) Like mbryson, I can hold 70 over Soldier's pulling my scrambler on the trailer, and I run 295 tires.

Brett (former f*rd hater)

kowe69

wannabe
(kowe69, do I have the better tranny? build date is 11-01)
Brett (former f*rd hater)

The build dates for the affected transmissions range from 7/27/2000 - 3/23/01. The sticker in your door jam will only give you the build month and year, not the day. But you are safe! :D

Here is a pdf file of the Technical Service Bulletin that describes the problem and repair in a bit more detail.

Attachments

• tsb01-13-05.pdf
    87.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

smokenrocks

check into a dodge ram 2500 12v cummins perf 96-98... i have 260,000 on my 96 and it still runs like new... plus they come with rear d70 and front d60. and will out pull that ford anyday.. i have only had to adjust my valves and rebuildt my tranny 500 mi ago...they are somewhat easy to find and the prices seem to be very good... 98.5 and up go to the 24v and are not as reliable as earlier models and are pricey...

"out pull that f*rd" :rolleyes: C'mon, true or not, let's not go there. Enough magazine head-to-head tests have been done that show they are all pretty close in stock form. They are all great trucks. Mod any of them and they pull even harder. Maybe the Cummins is easier to mod but is that what this discussion is about?

Good point though, the '96-'98 cummins gives you a lot of bang for the buck, albeit with higher miles than the '99-'01 powerjoke.

btw, I'd love a juiced up '98 Cummins xcab shortbed on 35's...and before having a f*rd I didn't think I'd like a f*rd truck...I was actually looking at the Cummin's 600 (2005) quad cabs but decided on a 3rd row of seats instead and only the f*rd offered a diesel.

SnwMnkys

I love my 99 PSD Extended cab short box. Had it a little over 2 years and have put just over 50k on it, just turned 200k on the odometer last week. Never had any serious issues with it other then a huge tranny leak that was caused by a pan bolt coming loose (wanted to replace the filter and change the fluid anyway), a driveline going out, and replacing the glow plugs. Oh ya and a tree stump i was pulling out of the ground came flying into my tailgate. That doesnt really count but it still sucked.

The only real complaint i have with the truck is the crappy turning radius, and the power steering sucks, especially with 35" tires on it.

I was looking at the Dodge Ram at the same time i bought this truck and glad i didnt go with it after driving a few friends. The motor may be great, but the rest of the truck in my opinion is a joke, that front end design and steering box issue is ridiculous. The 4R100 tranny may not be the best, but its better then that Dodge turd.

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I just learnt that they are kinda grumpy humping a 9000lb. load from SLC to Strawberry. The truck handled it quite well, honestly, it just made me wish even more for a stick vs. an auto. I got screwed in the busy traffic more than once on Mtn. Dell and Lambs (had to hit my brakes to avoid rearending a big truck and dropped to about 25 mph--went over the top doing about 45 or so after that--the fact that it accelerated after that at all ought to say something).

Supposedly this load was 7K, but I weighed it when I got back to SLC. My truck's performance was not what I expected vs. my experience hauling my Jeep on a trailer (roughly 3000 lbs less). On the way back out of Heber, I was following a Stuper Duty V10, shortbed with at 30ish ft. fifth wheel and he DUSTED me. I decided to find out how heavy my load was at that moment. I'm curious what his trailer weighed?

I also learnt that the hill from Jeremy to Parleys is kinda brutal with the same load.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
... I was looking at the Dodge Ram at the same time i bought this truck and glad i didnt go with it after driving a few friends. The motor may be great, but the rest of the truck in my opinion is a joke, that front end design and steering box issue is ridiculous. The 4R100 tranny may not be the best, but its better then that Dodge turd.

In Dodges defense, the '03+ trucks have solved those steering issues. Our '03 is a night & day difference between my '99 and my recent '98. The brakes are a massive improvement too, which comforts me while pulling my car hauler w/o brakes.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
In Dodges defense, the '03+ trucks have solved those steering issues. Our '03 is a night & day difference between my '99 and my recent '98. The brakes are a massive improvement too, which comforts me while pulling my car hauler w/o brakes.

Those are SWEET trucks, IMHO. I don't dig the newer rigs ENORMOUS headlights, but the 2003-2005 units are NICE and seem like really solid rigs.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I have my 2004 2500 Hemi for sale BTW :) Its a sweet truck but I need to sell it due to our new addition to the family. See it over in the for sale section

SnwMnkys

Id buy an 03 and newer Dodge. I think they look awesome. They were just just a bit out of my price range.