What dual sport/dirt gear do you use.

jentzschman

Well, my CBR is sold, or will be sold tomorrow if all goes well. So now its time to start really looking at my dirt bike. I for sure know that it has to be street legal as well....But I digress....

I bought the best gear I could when I got my cbr. Not to say it is bad, but I spent a ton of money on it and could have saved many hounded dollars buying less expensive gear.

Now, I now that may sound bad, but lets face it. Much of the gear out there that is less in price will work just fine, as least IMHO I think so....

So I was wondering if you guys could point out some good gear that is still nice and protective, but not crazy pricey either.

Thanks for any help.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Congrats!

I'm a fan of Six Six One pressure suit's and that's what I ride with. Pressure suits combine back, chest, elbow and shoulder protection, plus a kidney belt. You can remove the back protection on most of them, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Good boots are wise, I have a pair of Fox's that I wore out and really liked. I picked up a pair of ARC boots from RMATV and haven't really cared for them. Alpinestars are great boots, I would love a pair.

Get a good helmet for sure, but you don't have to spend $400 unless you really want to. I recently picked up a Bell helmet and have been very pleased with the fit, quality and price.

Other than that, pants, gloves and shirts are easy enough to pick out.

sixstringsteve

From a strictly dirt/trail bike perspective:

helmet
knee/shin guards
boots
gloves
goggles (I prefer clear)
some sort of chest/upper body protection. I have a Troy Lee Designs suit that I absolutely love.

Caleb

Congrats!

I'm a fan of Six Six One pressure suit's and that's what I ride with. Pressure suits combine back, chest, elbow and shoulder protection, plus a kidney belt. You can remove the back protection on most of them, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Good boots are wise, I have a pair of Fox's that I wore out and really liked. I picked up a pair of ARC boots from RMATV and haven't really cared for them. Alpinestars are great boots, I would love a pair.

Get a good helmet for sure, but you don't have to spend $400 unless you really want to. I recently picked up a Bell helmet and have been very pleased with the fit, quality and price.

Other than that, pants, gloves and shirts are easy enough to pick out.

This!

My advice, and you may already know this coming from street bikes, is to go try on tons of helmets. They all fit different people different. I'm with Greg, the Bell felt great, I've talked to guys that can't stand the fit of the Bell though. I currently have a Fox helmet and love it. I'll probably get a new helmet next year (this one will be going on it's third year). Pressure suits are a must, I used to not use one and got bruised and cut up quite a bit, now with it I've wrecked harder but have fewer scratches or bruises to show for it.

Get some good boots. I'm using same cheapo O'Neal boots and have broke my foot once in them. I thought it was bad luck. A couple weeks ago, we were out riding and had a new guy (to our group) riding with us that had my same boots. He wrecked and broke his foot as well. I'll be replacing mine soon. I'd love to do a pair of Sidi Crossfires.

D

Deleted member 12904

I say spend money on quality helmet smell m2010 rated, nice boots I like alpinestars, and chest roost guard I like the fox airframe but these are much more of a what fits you best item. The rest of my gear is all clearance stuff from rocky mountain atv. 1 thing to remember when riding dirt bikes is you will crash them and with the right equipment most the time it's not a bigger issue than picking up and keep going.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
I agree Sidi's are great! Alpinestar Tech 8-10's are great boots as well :cool:

Boots are something you don't want to go cheap on. I broke my big toe in a pair of FLY boots two years ago and I'm lucky that is all that happened. My tennis shoes offered more toe protection than those boots did! :ugh: Look on Ebay or KSL you can pick up a good quality boot for a great price slightly used.

Also you probably already know but you want your helmet to feel fairly tight at first because they will break in over time.

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Great info here, I'm looking for some gear for some off road riding as well.
I am curious, Are the pressure suits to be worn inside a shell or not? or would that be dependant on weather.
All of this will be a first time purchase other than a helmet.
Are shin pads a pain in the butt to wear all day, I'm certain they wouldn't be IF you took a tree limb to the shin, But otherwise, Needed? Looking into some boots and gloves as well.
Thanks!

sixstringsteve

most mx boots are meant for a knee/shin guard to be worn with them. They're wider at the top of the boot to accomodate them. Riding without the knee/shin guards is more uncomfortable than riding with them. I don't even realize they're there, and I've used them plenty of times.

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
most mx boots are meant for a knee/shin guard to be worn with them. They're wider at the top of the boot to accomodate them. Riding without the knee/shin guards is more uncomfortable than riding with them. I don't even realize they're there, and I've used them plenty of times.

Good to know as I have never worn MX boots, I may need to wander over and try some on tomorrow.
I also wonder if I should simply look into more MX style gear for my newb riding skill's Most "adventure" equipment seems to demand a premium

sixstringsteve

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
I'm no expert, but I'm very happy with my setup. This is the gear I wear from the waist down. I just wear shorts over them because I prefer the mobility. Be sure to buy from Caleb to save $$$.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/-/439/712/-/19810/Fox-Racing-Comp-5-Offroad-Boots/

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/-/203/832/-/7602/A.R.C.-MX-Socks/SOCKS

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...acing-Titan-Race-Knee-Shin-Guards/KNEE%2FSHIN

Caleb?
Otherwise looks very doable

sixstringsteve

he owns anarchymotorsports. Shoot him a PM with what you are interested in, and he will get a price quote to you. Rockymountainatvmc is very cheap, but he is a dealer for them, and he'll get it even cheaper. Plus you'll get it in the mail the next day.

For clarification purposes, I don't ride dual-sport, I only ride offroad. but that's the gear I wear when I ride offroad.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Good to know as I have never worn MX boots, I may need to wander over and try some on tomorrow.
I also wonder if I should simply look into more MX style gear for my newb riding skill's Most "adventure" equipment seems to demand a premium

I ride both dirt and "Adventure" bikes, I guess... seems like 'Adventure' is becoming very much like 'Expo', if you follow what I'm saying. Much of the gear for MX can cross over, it really depends on what you like to ride in and how comfortable you want to be. If I'm doing mellow dual sport ride with little technical riding, then a good riding jacket with ventilation and built in armor is usually what I will wear, instead of a compression suit. I have a couple riding jackets, my favorite is a Joe Rocket 'Alter Ego' jacket. I also have a pair of Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants, they have a removable vent that crosses up the outside of the legs and over your rear end. Ventilation is very good...

Matter of fact, here's that jacket and pant from my big street ride on the (now sold) V-Strom...

P5070220-Medium-L.jpg

Boots are very wise, especially if you're doing any offroad riding, the support and protection you get from a real, quality riding boot is very needed. I nearly broke a few toes many years ago riding with hiking boots. Lesson learned, riding boots are a no-question-asked item for me when riding. Offroad, you may need to dab while at speed, clip a rock or lay your bike down on your leg... good boots will save you're leg, feet and ankle when something goes wrong. Same with good boots on the street.

I like a helmet with a flip down visor for dual sport riding and a dirt helmet with a goggles for dirt.

Just because you're 'adventure riding' doesn't mean you need the latest and most expensive whale foreskin-lined BWM riding suit... ;)

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
sixstringsteve said:
he owns anarchymotorsports. Shoot him a PM with what you are interested in, and he will get a price quote to you. Rockymountainatvmc is very cheap, but he is a dealer for them, and he'll get it even cheaper. Plus you'll get it in the mail the next day.

For clarification purposes, I don't ride dual-sport, I only ride offroad. but that's the gear I wear when I ride offroad.

Excellent!
I will see what I can find and give him a shot.
Thanks!

I ride both dirt and "Adventure" bikes, I guess... seems like 'Adventure' is becoming very much like 'Expo', if you follow what I'm saying. Much of the gear for MX can cross over, it really depends on what you like to ride in and how comfortable you want to be. If I'm doing mellow dual sport ride with little technical riding, then a good riding jacket with ventilation and built in armor is usually what I will wear, instead of a compression suit. I have a couple riding jackets, my favorite is a Joe Rocket 'Alter Ego' jacket. I also have a pair of Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants, they have a removable vent that crosses up the outside of the legs and over your rear end. Ventilation is very good...

Matter of fact, here's that jacket and pant from my big street ride on the (now sold) V-Strom...

P5070220-Medium-L.jpg

Boots are very wise, especially if you're doing any offroad riding, the support and protection you get from a real, quality riding boot is very needed. I nearly broke a few toes many years ago riding with hiking boots. Lesson learned, riding boots are a no-question-asked item for me when riding. Offroad, you may need to dab while at speed, clip a rock or lay your bike down on your leg... good boots will save you're leg, feet and ankle when something goes wrong. Same with good boots on the street.

I like a helmet with a flip down visor for dual sport riding and a dirt helmet with a goggles for dirt.

Just because you're 'adventure riding' doesn't mean you need the latest and most expensive whale foreskin-lined BWM riding suit... ;)

Very good info, Thanks!

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have found alpinestar tech 3 boots to be the most comfy with good support for the best price. I'm hard on boots. I'm on my third pair of these and will keep buying them as long as they are available. They are under $200 from RMATV, probably much less from Caleb. As for gear, I don't think you can beat MSR for value. Their stuff last forever and is pretty cheap. It's not the most flashy but it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caleb

I have found alpinestar tech 3 boots to be the most comfy with good support for the best price. I'm hard on boots. I'm on my third pair of these and will keep buying them as long as they are available. They are under $200 from RMATV, probably much less from Caleb. As for gear, I don't think you can beat MSR for value. Their stuff last forever and is pretty cheap. It's not the most flashy but it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Tech 3 boots are a great value. Unfortunately, Alpine Stars is one of the brands I don't get anything off on. They're still worth the $200 though.