what kind of winch would you get, besides Warn & Ramsey?

What winch would you get, besides a Warn or a Ramsey?

• Superwinch

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • MileMarker

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • T-Maxx

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • as cheap as possible (Chicago Electric)

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • other, please specify in post....

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters

Cherokeester

Mile Marker

Well going against the grain is what I seem to do on this board, I have had zero issues with my Mile Marker (aka harbor freight special) Granted I haven't used it for years but I would venture a guess that most winches are made in the same factory, or at least the motors are. Brand names cost more to cover advertising and promotions and such and a lot of those come from the same factories. I am not dissing Warn, they are awesome, but I am not sold on them being the one and only holy grail of winches. I'm sure a lot of people would be shocked (pun intended) to know there are very few actual shock manufacturers, but there are a heck of a lot of shock companies.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
Ramsey lover

I have a Ramsey REP 12000 on my expedition and its been there since 1998 when I got the expedition... I have used it to pull everything from my expedition to a semi stuck in a snow bank.... it has never failed me... I have broken the mounting hardware but that was cause I bought cheap bolts instead of grade 8 stuff....

Sure its slow (7 fpm) but it will lift my 7000 lb expedition off the ground if I needed to... and it doesn't kill my alternator when heavy winching!

The army hummers are using milemarker winches and they suck... I had a hummer stuck in a ditch and we had to call a wrecker to pull it out cause the milemarker wouldn't pull it out....

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
I have a MM 9000 and I have had no problems with it what so ever. The lock/free spooling mechanism isn't the greatest but it is a good winch. There are people on this board who can testify to it's use too. I pulled a full size bronco up a hill for almost 1 hour and it didn't overheat and it worked flawlessly the whole time. Do I wish I had a Warn... yeah, but this MM does what I want so it's A-OK with me. BTW it is the electric.

It hasn't left me stranded yet! I don't use it more than a dozen times per year though...

That's my tidbit of information.

Edit:

I wish I had a Warn because I have seen the speed at which they pull and the lock/free spool mechanism is easier to use. Other than that my MM has done everything I have needed it to do.

Last edited:

marc olivares

Limey Lover
i have all the confidence in my Superwinch EP9
it's yanked my 6K lb landrover over tons of stuff (rockpile included) and it has yet to let me down. great line speed, low amp draw, does not heat drum when spooling out so it's synthetic line safe, freespools nicely (even w/ synthetic line).

i didn't want a Warn cause it's such a "JEEP" thing...LOL