What musical artist do you feel fortunate to have seen before they became famous

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I'll start:

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Saw him in clubs in Austin maybe 15 times from 1978'ish to 1982 or so when he did the guitar work for David Bowie on "Cat People"

next

Pile of parts

Nice! Would have loved to see him before or after. Talked to a guy that saw Kiss in clubs in New York before they made it. Neighbor across the street was a police officer in Massachusetts and had several talks with Steven Tyler and Joe Perry before they made it. All I have is other people's stories but still entertaining.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
While I was on vacation, I saw Sublime in San Diego in the early 90's when they were playing a bar on Mission Bay. It was about 2 years before they hit it big.

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I saw Blink182 in 1998 in the warehouse by Harborfreight. I think it was like $10.
I saw lots of "punk" bands like that before they "sold out"

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I used to see modest mouse at a community college outside auburn washington, when they only got played by that college station in the mid 90's

Thursty

Saw Toby Keith at the Utah State Fair in '98 or '99. He'd been around a few years but hadn't "hit the big time" yet. It was a great concert and he really got to know his audience. That didn't change after he became famous.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
TSO! They put on one of the most intertaining concerts you can still see. Even if you don't care for Christmas music it is still just a cool old school show with smoke and lasers. November 19 this year. My kids will be head banging nonstop the entire show. It's pretty cool to watch.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Jim Huish of Ambers drive

They aren't famous yet, but they will be :)

Super cool guys and Jim wheels hardcore!

ZUKEYPR

1973- The Who - Quadrophenia Tour, with an unknown band called Lynyrd Skynyrd. First Concert, only 11 years old. I had a cool older sister.
1976 - The Who - The Who by Numbers Tour
2003- The Allman Brothers Tour - Hittin the Notes
BB King - To many times to list
Buddy Guy - to many times to list, most recently in September at the Telluride Blues Festival. At 78he blew the doors off of all the acts
Joe Bonamassa in SLC at Abrevenal Hall a few years ago...my ears are still ringing.
The Outlaws in the late 70's in Pittsburgh, opening up for Molly Hatchet....The Outlaws stole the show with their six guitar Army lined up shoulder to shoulder whaling "Green Grass and High Tides for just under 30 minutes.

A better question might be who do you still need to see that are still performing.
Beth Hart Solo, Beth Hart w/Joe Bonamassa, Bob Seger, Neil Young

DAA

Supporting Member
I got drunk with Chis LeDoux once, in a bar in Kaycee Wyoming. Own a handful of his albums, but never saw him perform live.

Speaking of seeing them while they are alive though - don't miss a chance to go see Willy. He can't have too many years performing left.

- DAA

AaronPaige

I got to play cards with Willy in wendover two years ago but I'm glad to say I've seen crue every summer for the last ten years now they say there done... Well see

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
A better question might be who do you still need to see that are still performing.
Beth Hart Solo, Beth Hart w/Joe Bonamassa, Bob Seger, Neil Young

BoB Seger is going on final tour this upcoming year.. you better get ready!

I use to see Chris Leduox at Lagoon many times. Saw Jason Ail Dean a few times at the outlaw in Ogden.
My first concert was Heart with firefall back in 74