what rear tire to run for the knolls race?

djgardner

People think I'm crazy-and I'm probably the only person on the start line that feels this way-but I'm not a fan of the desert IT, and love the Dunlop MX51's in the desert.

Every desert IT I've ever bought has chunked the knobbies off in a few rides. I've had great luck (great traction and great durability) with the MX51's though.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I agree about the desert IT. I chunked all the edge knobbies off two sets before I switched to something else. I've been running bridgestone race take offs but I wondered if something was better.

The MX51's look cool though.

Cascadia

Undecided
I've also been running mx51's on my bike. No knobbies have chunked off. I was considering going with an IT but with the luck I've had with my 51's I may just go with them again.

rholbrook

People think I'm crazy-and I'm probably the only person on the start line that feels this way-but I'm not a fan of the desert IT, and love the Dunlop MX51's in the desert.

Every desert IT I've ever bought has chunked the knobbies off in a few rides. I've had great luck (great traction and great durability) with the MX51's though.
I chunked the MX-51s and won't buy them again. I run the Desert ITs and have been happy with them. Go figure, everyone has a different opinion

Tonkaman

I've ran both and eventually switched to MX71. It's harder than 51 but will still flex unlike the desert IT. It's been my favorite do it all tire so far

djgardner

I don't usually put too much weight on someone's opinion (and you shouldn't put much stock in mine) about the durability or longevity of a tire...one mans worn out tire is another mans brand new tire.

I know guys that consider a tire worn out as soon as the sharp edges on the knobby are rounded...and other guys who run tires until they are almost slicks.

It's about traction and the tire not chunking for me...and that is why I like the MX51...it hooks up great in a wide variety of conditions an I have never had one chunk on me.

Last edited:

Caleb

An MX51 will only last me for one race and maybe a couple of rides.

Yep, I tried the MX51s on my last two bikes and have blown through them both in only a couple trail rides...and I ride like a *****. I like the Desert IT the best, the MX71 is a close second but needs to be broken in before it gets any kind of traction.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Dunlop has a new MX 52 coming out. Destry Abbott was running it when I was in Pheonix at the end of the year for his class. He really liked it.

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
I've enjoyed my Maxxis Desert ITs a lot (front and rear). Of course, I'm only comparing them to a Kenda DOT rear that was worn to the bones and a Kenda TrackMaster front that had about 25% tread left.

I can't remember where, but when I was researching which tire to buy I heard a few folks say that the Desert ITs will chunk if they aren't broken in just a little before being ridden really hard. Mine have not chunked at all with about 200 fairly hard recreational dirt miles. One thing I noticed is that the rear tends to drift out a little on harder-pack corners under mid to full throttle, but not slip out suddenly. Durable, pretty predictable, and good in sand.

Jared

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
It must be where I ride, but all tires chunk out on me, and it seems like they all wear out fast if I accelerate hard on pavement before they are hardend, Ive had the best luck with maxxis, that said, they dont have enough sidewall support to get out of first gear if you loose a steer tire trying to get back to the pits, but I think that is what gives me good feedback on how it is grabbing the terain.

as far as when a tire for me is too worn, when the back tire has half tread I pull it off, and when the steer tire doesnt look brand new anymore I pull it off. Im old with a mortgage and I need to have confidence in my tires.

Tonkaman

Tire wear has a lot to do with riding style as well. I personally trash tires fast compared to the people I ride with. I depend more on instant torque vs high revving

D

Deleted member 12904

Tire wear has a lot to do with riding style as well. I personally trash tires fast compared to the people I ride with. I depend more on instant torque vs high revving

And this is why I usually get at least a full season on a rear tire because I ride like a *****. :)