What trails is this!?! (Wasatch front).

gilg2533

Ok i was searching the internet and came across this website for a guy doing jeep tours our of park city. One of the trails he talks about running he calls brighton switchbacks and claims it is 4-4.5 rated? I can find no additional information on this anywhere, nor has he returned any of my emails. Here is the link to the description he gives: http://www.jeeptoursparkcity.com/BrightonSwitchbacks.html

Any idea as to what this might be/legality?

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Almost sounds like the NF-70421 off the snake creek trail. Except the NF-70421 doesn't drop into the Brighton side, it just ends at the top at 10,000 feet.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Almost sounds like the NF-70421 off the snake creek trail. Except the NF-70421 doesn't drop into the Brighton side, it just ends at the top at 10,000 feet.

This is probably it - Brighton is on the other side of that ridge that it stops at, and the website seems to be referring more to a dropoff as opposed to a dropin.

Have you been on that trail? Would you call it a 4?

lewis

Fight Till You Die
This is probably it - Brighton is on the other side of that ridge that it stops at, and the website seems to be referring more to a dropoff as opposed to a dropin.

Have you been on that trail? Would you call it a 4?

No, although it was a little nerve racking cause of the steepness and drop offs. It required no lockers and I don't know that I ever even put it into 4 wheel drive. The switchbacks are tight though and required backing up some since there was no room to turn. Also the trail is overgrown so lots of rocky mountain pin stripping.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
No, although it was a little nerve racking cause of the steepness and drop offs. It required no lockers and I don't know that I ever even put it into 4 wheel drive. The switchbacks are tight though and required backing up some since there was no room to turn. Also the trail is overgrown so lots of rocky mountain pin stripping.

So, technical difficulty = low, pucker factor = high?

Sounds like a good date trail. :D

theferg

DD for Life

"There's not enough room to park nor turn your truck around up there." :rolleyes: :-\

hehe

I would agree, it does sound like that trail. And I agree, not really that difficult, but def some spots with high pucker factor. The hardest part (and prob the highest pucker factor part) was prob the super-tight z-turn that pretty much requires you to take 50 yds in reverse.

-Ferg-:-\

gilg2533

Pretty much what i figured as well, guy seems to not really know what he is doing lol. Anywho im still fairly new to the area and just moved to Midway. American fork canyon is starting to bore me and I am looking for more challenging trails in the unita area. Anyone know of any that are up here?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Looks like Snake Creek to me. Does anybody know Tim Tom? I would love to chat with them about their business. Right now it is almost impossible to get a guide/outfitter permit in the Pleasant Grove forest district and they may be open to 'sub-contracting' their permit/insurance for other events.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
. Right now it is almost impossible to get a guide/outfitter permit in the Pleasant Grove forest district and they may be open to 'sub-contracting' their permit/insurance for other events.

If they are fully on the up and up I will eat my boots :eek:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
If they are fully on the up and up I will eat my boots :eek:

I agree, doubt there is any permits in place.

Ah good point, that didn't even initially cross my mind. They may as there are a handful of outfitters/guides that had them in place before 07? when the Forest Service enacted a moratorium on new permits as they don't have the staff to process new ones. I'll drop Tim Tom an email and see if it is something we can work out.

gilg2533

Considering I have lived up here for two years, have never seen or heard of this guy before stumbling on this website yesterday id be willing to be that not only does he not have a permit, but that this is something brand new he is just starting to try and do.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Considering I have lived up here for two years, have never seen or heard of this guy before stumbling on this website yesterday id be willing to be that not only does he not have a permit, but that this is something brand new he is just starting to try and do.

You could very well be right. I couldn't find any email information on their site so I'll try calling tomorrow. We have the insurance lined up that is required for guided trips on all BLM, Forest Service and State lands but some areas such are not accepting outfitter applications. However we could theoretically have 'x' company handle 'y' area for a fee of course and we focus on other areas if that makes sense?

In the meantime if anyone knows these guys or has done business with them, let me know.

gilg2533

If you actually get ahold of him let me know ive called and left several messages as well and he has never responded -_-

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
The way he desribes this trail, (being able to drop in to the brighten side)
makes it sound like the the great western trail or ridge trail.
I was up there sat. on my dirt bike, (single track trail)

Attachments

• DSCF0581b.jpg
    DSCF0581b.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 23

00harpdawg

i actually know tim really well and he is actually a member of another club that i am in and he is actually a very good guy Im sure like you guys have said he probably doesnt have any permits but i'll talk to him and i can give you his info to contact him if you need