WHat's everyone using to deflate their tires?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Parks 4x4 did a deflator comparison a few years back, the EZ-Deflator (which ARB sells under their name) was actually faster to air down 4 tires than the Stauns, not by much but about a minute. I had a set of Stauns and I like them... however I ended up setting two at 12 psi and two at 20 psi, which doubled my air down time and still left me with only two options. With faster speeds and infinite air down pressures, the EZ-Deflator is a winner for me. The Oasis deflators are hands down the fastest as you can drive with them installed so you screw them on in the parking area and pull them off when you get to the first obstacle.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I use Trailhead automatic deflators, nothing bad to say about them yet. Speed hasn't been an issue. I don't generally drive around while I'm airing down, but I could if I wanted.

Last edited:

Hatewagon

Using some crappy rugged ridge ones. The locking caps kept loosening so i pitched them and just let them deflate on its own.

Sent from the Hatewagon chop shop....

SpeedyVic

Just read through the article. Great info! The old deflators that I had were very similar to the Tera's in this article. So maybe they weren't made by Staun(?)

So far, I'm leaning towards the ARB or the Currie. I'm currently a Quality Engineering Tech and am pretty anal about collecting data. I like the thought of having the gage on the tool so that I could get all the tires to the right pressure. I know that having a tire slightly lower in psi than the others isn't going to make a huge difference, but it what I do! :)

Thanks Everyone! Now I gotta see if anyone in or around Logan sells one of these. BTW, does the ARB work as a regular tire gage for when you are putting air back in?

I notice the ARB EZ gauge goes all the way to 60psi.... How accurately does it read low pressures? Read: I air down to 4-6psi, is this gauge going to accurately show that pressure or is it a matter of guessing which line the needle is closer to?

Any chance they make a low pressure version?

sixstringsteve

cruiseroutfit on here sells the ARB ones. He can ship it to you, or maybe you can come to the Freeze Your Tail Off run and he can bring it.

I drive with the Stauns on til the big tires are down where they need to be. They do need to be cleaned and adjusted occasionally, but they are definitely well made.

thenag

Mine is more for airing up but it works for down pretty well too.

I used two of these;
http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/r...aign=product&gclid=CIOkjqGm_LMCFc5cMgod7i8AIQ

some air fittings, an air gauge and a ball valve. I hook up to the rear tires let the air out, periodically check the pressure by shutting the valve when it gets to the desired pressure I move on to the front. In theory you could rig something to hook it to the suction side of a york OBA setup but it goes quick enough.

It also deflates/inflates two tires to the same pressure which is nice for the detriot in the rear.

similar to this setup
http://www.jk-forum.com/jk-write-up...-pressure-equallizer-2-tires-same-time-34126/

my only complaint is that is hard to find good air gauges that have 1 or 2 psi marks, I have to buy a new gauge every couple of years since they get banged around etc.

Nathan

(edit)
I used to remove my valve stems but one time had one that I couldn't get to seal anymore, plus you probably ought to carry extras, I have had to find one in the dirt. (almost had to pull one from my spare tire but found it before giving up)

Last edited:

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
The ARB deflator isn't really a good candidate to use as gauge when airing back up because you have to unscrew the valve core for it to read the pressure.

As far as low pressure accuracy I've never had any complaints, I'll take my tires down to 8psi sometimes and it reads it just fine, no guessing. The lines are plenty far enough apart that it's easy to read.