What's in your 72 hour/survival kit?

sixstringsteve

If you had to evacuate your house for 72 hours, what would you take? I'm trying to be more prepared for emergencies and I'm looking for items I may have forgotten.

My kit has:

- Bottled water
- food
- emergency blanket
- first aid kit
- glow stick
- gun (obviously)

And I have TONS of camping gear, but none of it consolidated in one quick grab n go solution. The Red Cross recently did a "stay at the red cross for 24 hours to test your 72-hour kit." I wasn't able to make it, but I think it might be good preparation someday.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I have :

water filter
dried food
fire starter
flashlight
blankets
gun
knife

fits mostly in a backpack. The trucks have tarps and blankets in them, as well.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I was glad kami had all of our important docs in one place. Car titles, marriage license, etc. Not critical stuff but it would be a pain to replace.

XJEEPER

In addition to above, add $30 in small bills to your kit, along with basic first aid stuff.

I like the water filter idea. Safety deposit box is where I keep all the important papers. We've outfitted our rigs with emergency and first aid kits in backbacks, plus we have 4 backpacks with MRE food, water, emerg. blanket and light and fire makers in the garage so they can be grabbed in an emergency scenario.

You can spend $$$ on this and go way overboard, keep in mind basis survival away from home in an emergency, not a long term "adventure".

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I used to worry about our important documents, but they're in a fireproof box in a cool place. I think I'll make a backpack for each vehicle, and each of us too. Just in case. NO ONE expects the Spanish Inquisition, and yet... Fukushima. San Fransisco. NYC. Etc.

TScott27

Water would be of utmost importance for me. A couple of canned goods. Knife, flashlight, match, blanket, mobile phones, dried foods, money and credit card. I haven't actually prepared this bag, but now that you have mentioned it, I will go about to preparing it. You'll never know what happens tomorrow (not that I'm wishing it). Better be prepared than be sorry.

MOODY

Bald Guy
A couple packs of smokes, and a bunch of mini bottles of Jack Daniels allows you to fill in any holes in your kits really quick in an emergency.

Some good ideas, we need to update ours.

I don't remember what's in ours, but I know the kids have all grown several inches since we packed it. Hmmm, the 9yo will be able to wear the 13yo's clothes, he'll be able to wear the 16yo's clothes, he'll be able to wear my clothes, and I have extra stuff in the truck. Hmmm, maybe not so bad. The 21yo isn't any taller, but much bigger...gonna need some stuff for him.

Got a CERT bag in the X, along with other first aid/tools/stuff. Definitely need to keep water in there.

Caleb

Depends on the Emergency. If it was like the fires right now and I was evacuated, I'd hitch up to my trailer which has EVERYTHING I need in it for my family to survive for a long time. If it was a bug out situation, We put together some good back packs that would last us for atleast 72 hours with food, clothes, emergency blankets, first-aid kits, etc but it's been a few years and we should probably re-evaluate what's in there.

KWight

I have:
Food
Pans, dishes, cooking/eating utensils
3 different fire starting implements
Water Filter
First Aid kit
Emergency Blankets
Large Tarp
Heater packs (which I should take out as they seem worthless)
Gum and hot drinks
Coleman dual fuel backpacking stove (with year old gas that still worked a couple weekends ago)

If something ever happened I would prefer to hook up the trailer first. If it was something big I would use the bag that stays in my truck.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
The majority of what I have has already been listed. My kit is more of a outdoor survival pack/hiking pack, but something unusual I like to carry that others might find useful is one of those bright/reflective lightweight orange construction vests and a whistle. Both would come in handy if you became lost or separated from a group in the wilderness and needed to be spotted more easily. While the vest might not do a whole lot during hunting season (LOL) if your friends and family know you have one and know you'll be wearing it should disaster strike they will have a much easier time spotting you wearing bright colors vs. neutral colors.

Also if you're vision impaired like me an extra pair of prescription glasses could save your life :cool:

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Since this popped up after the last round of fires about the only thing I would add is my portable hard drive, I can replace most other material things but old pictures/documents are a little harder to acquire.

KWight

The majority of what I have has already been listed. My kit is more of a outdoor survival pack/hiking pack, but something unusual I like to carry that others might find useful is one of those bright/reflective lightweight orange construction vests and a whistle.

That reminds me of one thing I forgot to include.

I have a Purple vest with a name placard on it for being a Emergency Mental Health First Responder.

The training stressed the importance of caring for your own family first then helping others if you are able.

Kevin

neagtea

Supporting Member
mre's with heaters 1 case
H2o
H2o purifier
Weapons
Crown royal (for medicinal purposes)
First responder bag with o2 bottle
Motor home with full gas and propane tanks