What's this thing?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Working on my kid's car....1987 Fiero 2.8 V6. Needs a clutch. While it's out, we want to fix some leaks. I got a rear main seal already, but it also looks like the oil pan gasket is kinda squished out right in the middle. What is the 3 bolt cover right above the crank? It looks like it's leaking also. 20230228_111249.jpg

Agility Customs

Vendor
Working on my kid's car....1987 Fiero 2.8 V6. Needs a clutch. While it's out, we want to fix some leaks. I got a rear main seal already, but it also looks like the oil pan gasket is kinda squished out right in the middle. What is the 3 bolt cover right above the crank? It looks like it's leaking also. View attachment 157396
Some kind of cam access would be my guess

Reactions: DAA

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
He got a Fiero? Heck yes!
I thought the same thing. Always liked the Fiero, particularly the Formula trim:

iu

Thursty

I thought the same thing. Always liked the Fiero, particularly the Formula trim:

iu
I had a white Formula for my daily in college. It was an auto so it definitely needed another gear for anything above 60mph. You couldn’t keep the thing cool in the summer and winter driving was sketchy due to the weight balance front to back. Do I want that car back? Heck yes!!

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I had a white Formula for my daily in college. It was an auto so it definitely needed another gear for anything above 60mph. You couldn’t keep the thing cool in the summer and winter driving was sketchy due to the weight balance front to back. Do I want that car back? Heck yes!!
The story of the Fiero is a tragic one. The concept was to be a revolutionary mid-engine performance car on the cheap. But the GM exec's didn't like the idea of Pontiac building something that would compete with, and likely outperform and out sell the Corvette. So compromises were made and the Fiero never lived up to it's promise. Many people think that had it lived for a few years longer, they may have been able to dial it in to being a competent little sports car, but it never happened.

Kill Your Darlings: The Birth and Death of the Pontiac Fiero

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I had that cam cover on a 2.8L leak oil on a clutch before; highly recommend RTV
This clutch was slippery, and since everything is oil-soaked I'm thinking it was that, versus being worn.
LS4 would be sweet in that thing.
That's been talked about. :rofl: But that would also cost probably 5x what the car cost....and on a high-schooler's budget that ain't gonna happen. It just needs to get driveable for a while.

This is it, for those who are curious:
20230217_151732.jpg