wheel spacers on a blazer S-10

justin3979

I have decided to try and make room for 33 x 12.5 bfgs on my stock blazer by adding a 2 or 3 in body lift and trimming like hell the fenders and any other sheet metal that is in the way. Im sure i will still have problems with the tires rubbing during a sharp turn. I am thinking about putting wheel spacers up front to counter this. I'd like to know if annyone has had any problems with this mechanically, ie CV joints axyl shafts etc.

spiderman

Amish dude
You won't have any problems with the axles or cv joints becuase it doesn't affect their angles. But by moving the tires point of contact further out, you add more leverage against ball joints, so they might fail early. Some vehicles also have problems with bearings when you use wheel spacers due to the extra stress.

Rather than using wheel spacers, you may want to look at some custom backspaced wheels. They would accomplish the same thing, would be stronger, and would probably cost less than getting new wheels plus the spacers.

That is unless you plan on using the stock wheels. I don't know if they will work; if I remember correctly, they were kind of skinny. (But if you didn't keep them, you could sell them to recover some of the cost.)

justin3979

wouldnt back-spaced wheels have the same effect as spacers because they would ultimately put the wheels the same distance out away from the ball joints, having the same leverage effect as having spacers? and how much can you really get for a set of stock blazer rims?

spiderman

Amish dude
wouldnt back-spaced wheels have the same effect as spacers because they would ultimately put the wheels the same distance out away from the ball joints, having the same leverage effect as having spacers? and how much can you really get for a set of stock blazer rims?

Yes, you would be adding the same stress, but using fewer parts. Fewer parts=fewer parts to have problems. It would be cheaper to get custom wheels than to buy new wheels and spacers. As far as selling the rims, they are (at least were) in good shape, and are aluminum that can be shined up. It's all a matter of finding the right buyer.