Where do you go for gear install?

DToy

So where does everyone recommend going for ring and pinion and locker installation, specifically for Toyota 3rd members? Who does the best job at the best price? Thanks in advance.

Caleb

Well I dont know about for tyoys but I have heard nothing but good about JR at Ms. Conception Motorsports...he priced a complete rebuild on my front and rear 60s a couple thousand less than the competitor...FWIW

Also I would give matt at Rocky Mountain High 4x4 down there in your part of the valley(well hes in Provo) a call...heard good things about him too...

unfortunately neither of these recommendations are from experience just from other recommendations...goodluck

DToy

Yeah I usually go to Matt, but sometimes he's really busy. He does an excellent job though. I've probably got more confidence in him than anyone else as far as quality of installation goes, but this time of year he is totally swamped.

ErikS

You could also try six states in orem. I had a toy set up by them about 4 years ago and never had one prob. It was new gears and an ARB and a lockright. Can't remember what they charged on labor though. Oh and the famous air leaks of the ARB, not a single one and it was used at least every other day. Hey gotta have something to do while sluffing school.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I second Six States in Orem. I had them do the gears in the rear axle of my CJ, after I grenaded the old set. I pulled the axle and took it down and the cost was extremely low.

goin4xn

Jeepaholic
All 3 are grat places to have gears setup.

6 States is good but more money than the other two.

Since you've got 3rd members you can save some $$ by pulling the 3rd members yourself and bringing them to either Matt or JR. The problem is that you're about 3-4 weeks away from Safari so every shop is gonna be swamped. I'd try calling JR since you're close to him (at least I think you are???) and see what sort of a time frame he can give you. If you can drop off the 3rd members for a few days that would probably work out best for them since they can work on them as they have time here and there. Same goes for Matt at RMH4x4.

Again all are good shops and I've had very good results with all 3 shops. I wouldn't hesitate to go back to any of them to ahve work done.
Scott

humboldt

FYI

I just called Six States about getting 4.88 gears in my rear Toyota 4cyl differential.

They said:
install kit - $112
gears $200 (precision)
labor $175

Labor cost is just setting up gears, pull your own differential and drop it off for a few days.

Does this sound reasonable? Any comments on the quality of Precision gears?

MattL

dude go to J.R. i jut got quoted for alot cheaper for a dana 3o from 456 gear install
alot cheaper

DToy

I just had six states install 5.29 gears in a Toy 3rd that I just bought that had a Detroit and stock gears. The bearings were almost new, so I didn't need an install kit. They charged me $100 for labor and $20 for a new pinion seal. Even though they're packed with the pre-Moab rush, I left it with them for a week and they had it done when they said they would.

I've heard Precision gears are pretty good, probably better than the Genuine Gears I just had them put in, but I got two sets of 5.29's and the third with the Detroit for $500, so I guess I'll see how they hold up. I have Richmonds in the rear of my truck and I think they are the strongest, but that's just my opinion.

TheBigSgt

Rep Big Horn 4x4
Tuff call on this. Matt at RMH did a true trac in my front Dana 44 and a Detriot in my 91/4 rear. Never had a problem. JR is a great guy too. Six states sponser some of our motor sports events and has always done great work for me also. Also Scott at 4wheel Parts has done work for me. I would call all four and go with the best price. Call Scott and tell Matt Westrich From the U4UDA told you to call. Same with Matt, and JR. I would call Carl at 6States in SLC. Tell him the same.

humboldt

I've been calling around here's the quotes I've got so far. Again, this is for 4.88 in a toyota 4cyl rear diff.

Six States
Precision gears $200
Install kit $113
Labor $175
Total = $488

4Wheel Parts
Total = $480 with genuine gears

Jack-It
Genuine gears $192
Install kit ~$100
Labor $225 (1 year labor warranty)
Total ~$517

I have heard lots of bad experiences w/genuine gears, so I think I will get Precision gears. Do you guys think its worth $50 for labor to go with Jack-It and get a 1 year labor warranty? Anyone have any experience with Jack-It?

I can't find phone #'s for Rocky Mountain 4x4 or Ms. Conception Motorsports. Anyone know them?

4Wheel Parts says they will match anyone elses price also.

MattL

Just call 972-9232.
MS Conceptions

If you go there ask to look at the new stuff they have for the new drag links.
I saw it yesterday and about droped my jaw on the ground. I was talking to carl and he was saying he can put his highlift on it and jack up the whole vehicle. i think k he said it was 7/8 thick wall. .
IT IS BEEFY and I WANT IT!!!

humboldt

Matt at Rocky Mountain High 4x4 quoted me $400-$450 using genuine gears. Thats the lowest price I've gotten so far. Kind of far for me because I'll have to get a ride from someone.

I'm waiting for JR at MS Conception to get back to me.

I'm thinking Six States or 4WP since they are close to my house in SLC.

Six States will probably be the one I go with because their price is almost the same as 4WP but thats for Precision gears rather than Genuine.

Thanks for the advice and help.

TheBigSgt

Rep Big Horn 4x4
Talk to Scott there at 4WP and tell him what Matt gave you. Same with JR. I like to use high quality little guys. Like JR and Matt.