Where my detectors at??

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Pulled a 1919 Merc yesterday. Place that is supposed to be cleaned out by other detectors long ago. Apparently not quite... This new machine seems to have a thing for deep silver. Based on the tones, and how faint the signal was, I was pretty sure a deep silver dime was what I was digging, and it was.

untitled-5W.jpg

- DAA
Not a lot of wear on that one. Made my dad’s night.

1637635984106.png

Last edited:

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
I'm in the process of buying a 1.1 acre lot and I need to go out and find the property boundary pins. @DAA seems to be finding some really cool stuff with that nice machine but at over $1000 seems a bit much for the simple task I have to accomplish. I know the pins are out there but they haven't been uncovered since September of 2013 (last survey conducted), thus plenty of forest debris covering them. As the lot is completly surrounded on 3 sides by state park land, and the fourth is road frontage I have little to go off of for even starting my search.

Thus, my question for this thread - is there another recommendation for a decent detector that won't set me back a grand?

As FYI, I was quoted $2500 for a 'new' survey which pretty much would just go out and find those pins that already exist.

DAA

Pretty much any machine ever made can get that done. Look for a used one, even. Since you have a big area, the bigger the coil you can get the easier it will be to cover it.

One headache I hope you don't run into, is the potential for other targets. If there is a lot of metal in the ground, you'll be finding it all and that could really slow down the process of finding "the" targets you are after. But unless you know, for example, the markers are brass (they are on my lot), a machine with decent target id won't really help - you'll have to investigate everything shallow.

But, bottom line, any machine can do what you need. Even a Bounty Hunter or something like that.

- DAA

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Pretty much any machine ever made can get that done. Look for a used one, even. Since you have a big area, the bigger the coil you can get the easier it will be to cover it.

One headache I hope you don't run into, is the potential for other targets. If there is a lot of metal in the ground, you'll be finding it all and that could really slow down the process of finding "the" targets you are after. But unless you know, for example, the markers are brass (they are on my lot), a machine with decent target id won't really help - you'll have to investigate everything shallow.

But, bottom line, any machine can do what you need. Even a Bounty Hunter or something like that.

- DAA
From the previous survey the pins appear to be iron - they're labeled as "Iron pin found". Seems like it would benefit me to dig a bit more into the different models so I can get a better sense of the features and coil sizes.

As the surrounding property is state park, I don't believe detecting is allowed (on the park property). That doesn't mean it wouldn't be fun to dig up some stuff on my own property. I'll have to check into that a bit more but I have seen some signs recently that indicate no detecting. Can't recall if they were in state parks or somewhere else. I'm in South Carolina so rules could be different here from State Parks in Utah.

Reactions: DAA

Tonkaman

I'm in the process of buying a 1.1 acre lot and I need to go out and find the property boundary pins. @DAA seems to be finding some really cool stuff with that nice machine but at over $1000 seems a bit much for the simple task I have to accomplish. I know the pins are out there but they haven't been uncovered since September of 2013 (last survey conducted), thus plenty of forest debris covering them. As the lot is completly surrounded on 3 sides by state park land, and the fourth is road frontage I have little to go off of for even starting my search.

Thus, my question for this thread - is there another recommendation for a decent detector that won't set me back a grand?

As FYI, I was quoted $2500 for a 'new' survey which pretty much would just go out and find those pins that already exist.
Do you know any excavators? The foreman usually has one kicking around in their truck. They use them to locate valves after they get covered by road base or pavement.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Do you know any excavators? The foreman usually has one kicking around in their truck. They use them to locate valves after they get covered by road base or pavement.
I posted on FB asking my friends if anyone has one and I got a couple of replies. Dave had also pointed me to a forum with some used stuff for sale. I think I have enough to make steps forward. Thanks.

Reactions: DAA

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Reading that article makes me wonder what would be something valuable that someone here, stateside could expect, or hope to find. I wouldn't think there would be anything more than a couple hundred of years old here in Utah to detect. Obviously going back east you could expand that a few more hundred years but still, I wouldn't think anyone could realistically hope to detect old treasure like that. Maybe I'm wrong? Are you guys mostly dreaming of a huge diamond attached to that ring in the ground that is beeping and begging to be dug up?

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
So I bought a used detector and went up on the property yesterday. Managed to find one of the corner posts! Three more to go!
FA47FCBE-13A9-46CE-90CF-E24231988465.jpeg

I also found a couple of cool old bottles with metal caps. The detector was picking up all kinds of signals but I was focused on finding the post so I didn’t dig up everything. Once I find all the posts I’ll be able to play around a bit to seek some treasure!