Which 4x4 to buy?

Cherokeester

My friends told me that if I go for Jeep Cherokee it would be not a good decision as in rock crawling your vehicle parts are going to be damage is normal and in Cherokee you have to replace the shrouds if there will be any damage. :confused:
Does anybody have anything to add to this?

Ok look, whatever you drive on the trail something is going to break sometime, it is just part of owning a off road machine. Heck, regular cars breakdown all the time just driving on the roads.
A Cherokee is a great way to go if you have more than two people and camping gear to haul around. You could buy one that is already built and save yourself some cash. Just buy it from somebody who knew what they were doing. (ahem att. Jeepinjoe) If you decide on a Cherokee, have some of the dudes on here help you look at it. You can post pics of it if you can't take someone with you. There is plenty of good knowledge on this forum to help you decide if it is the right one.
Oh, and the only thing on a Cherokee called a shroud is a fan shroud as mentioned above and those are not a problematic part. Your friends have their terminology wrong. Good luck.

bradm

shameless posing...
Since this is what you stated you're looking to use the rig for...
I want to go on easy trails with my family and would like to try rock crawling step by step.
I wouldn't worry too much about this comment from your friends...
My friends told me that if I go for Jeep Cherokee it would be not a good decision as in rock crawling your vehicle parts are going to be damage is normal and in Cherokee you have to replace the shrouds if there will be any damage. :confused:
Does anybody have anything to add to this?
I've had my Cherokee for 9 years now and I've used it for everything under the sun. It is a great all-around family 4x4. Yes I agree it's not the ideal platform for hardcore rockcrawling and I wouldn't recommend that. But for a good majority of the trails in Moab, and just all-around recreational use and wheeling, which is what you mentioned you're looking for, it's hard to beat. I run 6" of lift on my '99 with 33" tires, ARB's front and rear, and 4:56 gears and it's been a great setup.

Since this is what you stated you're looking to use the rig for...

I wouldn't worry too much about this comment from your friends...

I've had my Cherokee for 9 years now and I've used it for everything under the sun. It is a great all-around family 4x4. Yes I agree it's not the ideal platform for hardcore rockcrawling and I wouldn't recommend that. But for a good majority of the trails in Moab, and just all-around recreational use and wheeling, which is what you mentioned you're looking for, it's hard to beat. I run 6" of lift on my '99 with 33" tires, ARB's front and rear, and 4:56 gears and it's been a great setup.

Well put, and sounds like a great recipe. I LOVED my '88 Cherokee. 2" lift, 30" tires and rear lockrite and I did tons of stuff in Moab and all the canyons close to SLC (this was in the mid 90's) and took it to the dunes. And drove it daily. And hauled a popup. Awesome rig, especially if you have less than 4 kids.

Brett

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
I have been wheeling my '98 Cherokee ever since i got it in '00. It has been really dependable. 33's are upper limit with 6" of lift on the stock axles. You should definitely consider steering braces due to the dreaded unibody fatigue. A selectable locker in the front wouldn't hurt. The long arm kits are expensive and once you go there, it's tough to go back. In terms of stock parts, the t-cases are even money. 231's are cheaper to modify and find replacements, but the 242 has the full time option. The rear axle is a choice between a dana 35 and a chryco 8.25". Neither are great, but the 8.25" had served me well. I have the automatic transmission and with open axles I have made well built rigs look foolish in Moab. In terms of breakage, you will most certainly break something, but it will likely be steering and shafts before all else. I haul my whole family in it and routinely drag other peoples junk to and from the trail. (Spencurai) Lastly, the 4.0L is a tremendous engine. I have since converted it to E-85 and it runs great. It has nearly 135K and pulls strong.....

Just my $0.02,

James

RuggedH2

Just doing my thing.
Well I read the entire thread. Very good advice offered here.

Good questions were asked to determine what you're gonna do with it....helps.

Most here, custom build their rigs to suit their purpose. If they need to make it stronger......they do. Do you turn wrenches, weld, do math?

For the most part, I don't.......So I bought two Hummers. :eek: Yeah, I said it. :ugh:

$20,000 buys a used 2006 H3 Adventure package. You would want that with the Hummer. Stock 4.56 gears, 4:1 transfer case, 33's but 35's fit on stock wheels. The dealer fixes everything you break under warranty, (I still have 20,000 miles left on both trucks).

You shouldn't run "hardcore" trails like Pritchett with it, but that is pretty far from where you are right now anyway. It will run Moab Rim, Cliff-Hanger, Golden Spike, and everything easier......completely stock.

If you want to go past those, see the third sentence again.

This will probably not be a very popular post....but if you buy a Hummer....get used to it. :hickey::eek::rofl:

I wheel a 87 xj. All be it heavily modified, exod, sub framed, boat sides, 60s the list goes on and on. It will and has done 5+ trails and goes where the buggys go. and it has room for kids and gear. I love it, and the after market is endless four them. You stated that you would like to spend around 20,000.
You could get a realy nice xj for under 10 and spend the rest building it. or just keep you eyes on the forums and buy a built Rig. Good luck

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Well I read the entire thread. Very good advice offered here.

Good questions were asked to determine what you're gonna do with it....helps.

Most here, custom build their rigs to suit their purpose. If they need to make it stronger......they do. Do you turn wrenches, weld, do math?

For the most part, I don't.......So I bought two Hummers. :eek: Yeah, I said it. :ugh:

$20,000 buys a used 2006 H3 Adventure package. You would want that with the Hummer. Stock 4.56 gears, 4:1 transfer case, 33's but 35's fit on stock wheels. The dealer fixes everything you break under warranty, (I still have 20,000 miles left on both trucks).

You shouldn't run "hardcore" trails like Pritchett with it, but that is pretty far from where you are right now anyway. It will run Moab Rim, Cliff-Hanger, Golden Spike, and everything easier......completely stock.

If you want to go past those, see the third sentence again.

This will probably not be a very popular post....but if you buy a Hummer....get used to it. :hickey::eek::rofl:

I dont' really have a problem with Hummers, it's more the attitude behind the wheel (normally). Like everything else, there's always exceptions to the rule. They're an OK rig for most things. EXPENSIVE to modify from stock, but if they'll work for you stock, go for it.

I'm not a fan of the styling or some of the 'foo-foo' stuff in them, but if you're wheeling it, that helps a lot.

RuggedH2

Just doing my thing.
I dont' really have a problem with Hummers, it's more the attitude behind the wheel (normally). Like everything else, there's always exceptions to the rule. They're an OK rig for most things. EXPENSIVE to modify from stock, but if they'll work for you stock, go for it.

I'm not a fan of the styling or some of the 'foo-foo' stuff in them, but if you're wheeling it, that helps a lot.

Thanks Bryson,

I know what you mean, most people almost automatically assume my attitude is gonna suck, I'm not like that though I'll wheel with anybody who wheels with me.

The "foo-foo" stuff is kinda nice, leather heated seats work great after a long day at Brighton. The CD changer and the DVD players (with PS3) keep the kids busy on long road trips. The satellite nav comes in handy, the On-star service with in-truck phone will summon a tow truck to a broken rig wrestled off the trail (free), and the dealer will provide me a loaner Hummer till I get mine back. :D

red

I dont' really have a problem with Hummers, it's more the attitude behind the wheel (normally). Like everything else, there's always exceptions to the rule.

thats how i feel. doesnt matter what you wheel so long as your out there to have fun thats all that matters to me.

JRYOTA

parts galore, dirt cheap, and easy to work on fullsize ford or gm.
parts galore, can be pricy, less clearance to work on jeep.
harder to find parts, cheap or pricy, and not alot of working room toyota.
these are my experiances.

TOYOTA!!! and i will argue , lots of room to work. both under hood and under the frame. i can just about sit upright under mine :)

SemperFied

Banned
Jeep

I've had my 92 Jeep Cherokee Laredo for 13 years. It has been great, and stood up to the recent wear and tear of a spoiled brat teenage step daughter that never heard the word discipline...nevermind...I'd find a 92 Cherokee, and plan on rebuilding the motor. EASY!...plenty cores around too, easy to work on, plenty of room in the 92. AND you won't believe the power. As for the "2 door" hype, you'll soon realize that even if it's just you and that special person going for some under the stars erotica, you won't have enough room for gear.

I also have a 95 Toyota 4runner, dumb move, I didn't realize how gutless the pre 96's were. The wife drives that one. She's the type B driver of our family.

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
I also have a 95 Toyota 4runner, dumb move, I didn't realize how gutless the pre 96's were.
There is a saying that was told to me when I went down the toyota path...
if you want to get somewhere drive a Toyota, if you want to go fast, drive something else.

Point being they don't quit, they are under horsed for a reason, they will stall and have to be started before they self destruct, in a stock application, and they don't quit.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I'd actually go for that one. The guy can be a jerk, but the rig is nice. AND you will save money. Make him include the Winch for the $4200 though.

:eek::ugh: where's the 'foot in the mouth' smiley?

My vote would be for a built up late 90's Cruiser w/ OEM lockers

Next vote, why not build up a V8 cherokee, or a 4 door Wrangler?

$20k will go pretty far...

-Jason