Which axle should be upgraded? front vs rear?

Plumcrazy

Formerly GVHS
I am building our dana 60/14 bolt. We are running 38-40" tires. Welding the rear, 14 bolt disc brakes, etc... Front axle getting a detroit locker, and it stock for now. It is getting new brakes/rotors and king pin over haul. The front has manual hubs.

So I am looking at budget and trying to decide... Which axle should I put stronger shafts in? Should I go with chrome molly up front or in the rear? Why?

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Run 35 spline stub shafts in the front and call it good. The 14 bolt is pretty beefy stock. I would even run the stock inners on the 60.

STAG

Run 35 spline stub shafts in the front and call it good. The 14 bolt is pretty beefy stock. I would even run the stock inners on the 60.

I agree with this, but if budget allows go ahead and run chromoly inners and 35spl outers.

1TonTom

Poser Offroad Bronco
upgrade the 60 shafts first, you can find 14 bolt axleshafts at the junkyard IF... I repeat IF... you break them.

Plumcrazy

Formerly GVHS
Yep thanks a ton... I was leaning this way to up grade to the 35 spline outs. Since the axle had manual hubs up front what will I need to do in order to run the 35 spline outers? Will I need to find a flange setup? Or another hub? Thanks again...

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
You can run a drive flange or warn also makes a 35 spline hub for the 60. PM Pelygroso he will get you taken care of

thenag

I am building our dana 60/14 bolt. We are running 38-40" tires. Welding the rear, 14 bolt disc brakes, etc... Front axle getting a detroit locker, and it stock for now. It is getting new brakes/rotors and king pin over haul. The front has manual hubs.

So I am looking at budget and trying to decide... Which axle should I put stronger shafts in? Should I go with chrome molly up front or in the rear? Why?

I thought the whole point of using a gm 14 bolt was that you don't need after market shafts or anything else that axle is tough...

I am sure someone has broken a gm 14 bolt shaft but it is pretty rare...

As for the 60, chro-mo 35 spline outers, run drive flanges if you don't want to un-lock the hubs, then chro-mo inners. since you said budget I won't recommend these (although I want a set...)
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Dana-60-CV-Joint-p-2348.html

nathan
99 xj with big axles

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member

upgrade the 60 shafts first, you can find 14 bolt axleshafts at the junkyard IF... I repeat IF... you break them.

I have had no issue with my axle shafts in the last seven years. 35 spline alloy outers, stock inners in the D60 and stock shafts in the 14 bolt (ran a spool for about four years).

I run drive flanges. I'd like a locking hub, but wasn't real happy with the extra width of the Warn lockouts. The Dynatrac ones look cool, but for $400 they should come with some other favors as well.

Plumcrazy

Formerly GVHS
I'd throw fewer bucks into some spare shafts and save your wad for other gear. That's some beefy stock yer runnin.

I was leaning that way as well. Heck for the cost difference I might be able to go to a zip locker or other selectable locker.... I do not beat on my stuff like most. Heck I have been wheeling my amc 20 and stock front in my cj for years with lockers and 35s never had an issue...

So maybe run factory until it breaks or until I get more money... I will have to see...

Waiting for the alljeep.com to get back to me on prices etc.... that will determine my direction pretty fast.