Which Shotgun to get?

sixstringsteve

Wait, just thought of the perfect home defense shotgun - A Taurus Judge! Handgun mobility, and with a handgun length rifled barrel the shot has a chance to spread a reasonable amount in the short distances of a house.

how about a circuit judge? That could be very cool. My wife has shot a 12 gauge and didn't have a problem with it.

blznnp

Here is one with a magazine for you steve....
[video=youtube;zxslOcJ9M3s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxslOcJ9M3s[/video]

blznnp

Go to auto zone an get whatever chrome stick on thing you can an you will be set. The guy I got my 9mm from, a guy in my ward, has one of those shotguns, haven't had the chance to shoot it yet, would love to.

Caleb

I happen to have a Remington 870 20ga 18" barrel home defense I would be willing to sell right now. I think it holds 8 rounds, maybe 7..... You can check it out when you try those tires

If Steve passes, let me know what you want for it.

Steve, another one worth checking out is the Benelli's. Some of their home defense guns come in around that price point and Benelli's are nice guns. As mentioned, the 870 is equivalent to the 10/22.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
That sorta looks like my old ford truck haha. Love the door target setup. Crazy!

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
If you're not going to get all crazy and just want a defense gun, Stevens (as Carl mentioned above), sells a nice pistol-grip, 18" barrel gun for $199 at Wally World. Great gun, I was set on it before I was offered a great deal on my previous choice (the Stevens won me over w/price)-- The Mossberg 500, I guess they call it the Tactical model. It's a short-barrel pump gun that has a collapsible stock, which I LOVE. Fully collapsed, it tucks up tight for creeping around the house. :D I'm waiting on a tritium front bead for it, and then it's the perfect defense gun--for me. YMMV, as with anything.

I like the Remingtons, but they have been harder to find lately for some reason. The Mossbergs work just fine, and the Stevens too. My choice basically came down to paying for the collapsible stock, which fit better. I had to have a pistol grip because my shoulder is unhappy w/standard shotgun stocks... If not, I would have bought a cheap old hunting gun and chopped the barrel to the shortest legal length. You can pick up shotguns CHEAP if you don't need a bunch of factory doo-dads.

I also picked up literally ALL the target ammo Vernal had to offer, about 1000rds, and punished my arms until I felt proficient enough at "house ranges", which is about all a short-barreled shotgun is good for anyway. Patterns opened up SIGNIFICANTLY between 30 and 50', for instance. (using 00 buckshot :D ).

anyway. Get what you are comfortable with and can justify. I know that mine is basically a tactical dust collector, as it should be, so I didn't need a $1200 super awesome 870 Tactical Laserlit stun gun with a Kevlar sling and a disco light. :D

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
Forgot to add that I own a Remington 870 Express 12ga. and love it. If I'm not mistaken they can be found for somewhere around $300.

zukijames

Love my remington 870 express only downside is it won't shoot 3.5 inchers I didn't know when I picked it out (11 years ago) that there were different lengths of shells

The magnum model will shoot 3.5 inchers although I don't know it that's needed for shooting intruders and 10 yards

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
The two basic good choices of 12 ga pump shotguns are the Remington 870 series and the Mossberg 500 series. Both come in every length, finish, shape, magazine tube length, etc that you could ever want and both are very modifiable as far as different barrels, tubes, stocks, grips, etc. Both are extremely well made (in the USA - if that matters to you) and dead reliable. They are both extremely easy to take apart, clean, switch barrels, and add accessories. Honestly, they are nearly the same shotgun and you can't go wrong with either. When I was looking for a shotgun, the major differences I found between the two models as far as basic shotgun design were:
a) safety position - mossberg puts theirs on the top where you can operate it with your thumb and remington puts theirs on the rear of the trigger guard behind the trigger
b) slide release - mossberg puts theirs on the trigger guard behind the trigger and remington puts theirs in front of the trigger guard

I'm an engineer who is picky about design and ease of use so these things matter to me alot. They don't matter to most people and or they just might have different preferences or reasoning. With that said, I find the mossberg design to be much better. I like being able to see the safety just by looking down, not having to twist the gun sideways, and look behind the trigger guard. On the 500 it is very easy to release and engage the safety without changing hand position. Same with the slide release - on the mossberg its in a more comfortable and natural place on the gun that allows you to use it without moving your hand as much.

I ended up going with a Mossberg 590, which is the semi-mil spec version of the 500. It has a heat shield, bayonet lug, 20" barrel, and a full length magazine tube (to the end of the barrel), so it'll hold 9 or 10 shells total. The 590A1 is the actual US mil-spec version which has a heavier barrel and I think a metal rather than plastic trigger group. IMO 20" is a good length for a home defense shotgun as its long enough to get a decent range, but short enough to wield in a house and get a decent spread with buckshot (BTW, 00 buckshot is awesome - its 8 .33 caliber balls in one shot!).

Other cool shotguns are Binelli tactical semi autos - like the SWAT guys use, which are very expensive, and the Russian made Saiga-12 which is basically a 12 gauge semi auto AK47.

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
Also of note, some shotguns come with something in the magazine tube to prevent you from putting more than 3 in there to be legal for bird hunting. It can be taken out, but make sure you have it in when you go hunting. If you don't have one, cut a dowel or something to length. Its easy to drop in there when you are switching to your longer hunting barrel.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Steve I have a Remington 870 express mag you are welcome to come check out, borrow, and shoot.

I also have a semi Auto 12 gauge that you can come shoot

4x4life

Love my remington 870 express only downside is it won't shoot 3.5 inchers I didn't know when I picked it out (11 years ago) that there were different lengths of shells

The magnum model will shoot 3.5 inchers although I don't know it that's needed for shooting intruders and 10 yards

I agree, don’t need a magnum round to shoot 10 yards. Although I think the magnum is a great home defense gun. A magnum will hold more 2.75 inch shells without going to a short barrel home defense gun, which are not fun for sport shooting. It also leaves the options open for all kinds of shooting you may decide to do in the future. Stoeger P350, Remington 870, and Benelli Nova would be my recommendations.

Houndoc

For the money, I would agree with others have said with Mossberg and Savage. Both seem to be great quality for the price.

Depending on what your use will be, 12 gauge or 20. If you will be hunting waterfowl or birds with longer range shots, then for sure the 12. If primary protection, smaller game (pheasant included) or trap, then a 20 will work great with less kick, especially with a pump (won't mater much with a semiauto.)

Cost is higher, but I have some shooting with Browning Auto5 and own a Beretta semiauto that is a fantastic gun.

On the low end of the price scale, I also have a single shot 20 gauge. Not great option of home protection since only holds one round, and so light that even in 20 gauge kicks like a bugger. But is cheap ($100 range) and can carry it on multiple day backpack trips and arms never tire.

Caleb

Something worth considering, if this is truly a home defense gun, you may want to consider a Taurus Circuit Judge. It's a five shot and shoots 410 shells and 45 long colts. Home Defense, load three 410s and then two 45 Long colts. If the 410s don't stop the intruder then the 45 long colt will :) This will also allow your wife to easily shoot it and be able to get off multiple rounds if needed as well. This is what my dad went with since he's out-of-town a lot, my mom is comfortable shooting it...not so with a 12 gauge.

carsonc1974

Im a big fan of Benelli shotguns. I've owned/shot a couple from the pump action novas all the way up, and was impressed by all of them. I currently sport their 12 gauge Super Nova and dont think i will ever get rid of it.

As far as the circuit judge, i shot a coworkers a while, he loved it, me, not so much. More of a novelty gun similar to the Judge IMO. Many others will have very different opinions. The biggest reason i didnt like the circuit judge is the trigger is horrendous! Secondly, i havent priced 410 shells in a long time, but back when i was curious about them, they cost more then the 12 or 20 guage (cant get the big cases from walmart to blast away like a 22LR). Forget about 45 long colt unless you reload yourself! Bank breaker!!