Gear / Accessories Which Warn Winch?

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I have a 2010 JKU and I will soon be purchasing a new Warn winch. I hold nothing against the other brands, but I am buying a Warn.

My questions are:
What load rating should I get for the JKU? Is a 8000 enough, does 500lbs for the 10k make that much difference between the 9.5 and 10k?
Is there a material difference between the VR, XD, Zeon, etc models? Budget is a factor in determining if I buy it now, or wait until I get my tax return.
Synthetic or wire rope?

I don't plan to use the winch a lot, but I want a reliable, effective tool when I need it.

Thanks for any input!

Last edited:

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I run the 8K on my JK and it's been plenty. I had the 9.5 on my LJ and it was a NICE winch! I just couldn't justify the price difference, I picked up this lightly used 8K for about 1/3 the price of the 9.5.

I'm with you, Warn is expensive and worth it.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Just get as much winch as you can afford.

Im sure a 8000 would do the job 99% of the time. If you can afford the 9500.....why not? You never know when you will run into a ginormous Scout on its lid and needs flipped back over. :D

I put the M15000 on my rig and altho its a little slow.....I absolutely love it!

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
What load rating should I get for the JKU?

As they say, you should get a winch rated for at least 1.5x your rig's actual weight. This would mean an 8000-lb winch should suffice. Having some extra capacity "in reserve" never hurts, though.

Is there a material difference between the VR, XD, Zeon, etc models?

Yes!! It is telling that Warn breaks down their winch lineup into three broad categories: Entry Level, Premium Series and Ultimate Performance Series. While they may not tell you every last little internal difference from one series to the next, they do come right out and state that each step up gets you upgraded internal components. This made me really want to buy one of their Ultimate Performance models, but when I went to do so I didn't have the budget for it... so I had to step down to a Premium Series unit instead. I'm still very satisfied, though.

If you want to buy a warn winch, I suggest you carefully study their web site. They provide you with lots of important but often-ignored specs, such as pulling capacity by cable layer. Just because two different models are both rated for 8000 pounds, that doesn't mean each one is rated to pull the same weight on every layer. Study these specs carefully, decide what is important to you, and then buy accordingly.

For example, I noticed the Zeon8 is not as strong as the M8000. Sure, they're both rated to tug the same weight on the first layer... but after that, the Zeon trades away weight capacity for line speed. If/when you get to layer four, the Zeon8 is only rated to pull 5189 pounds while the M8000 is rated to pull 6230 pounds. On cable layer 4, the M8000 is still rated to pull 1.5x the weight of my Jeep... but the Zeon8 is not. Personally, I will gladly trade two or three ft/min of line speed for the peace of mind that comes from knowing your winch is not being worked beyond its limits. As for you, well, form your own conclusions.

Synthetic or wire rope?

Synthetic rope is a very desirable luxury, but IMO it is still a luxury. Jeepers around the globe have been using steel cable winches for decades. Especially if you are on a budget, I would suggest buying a stronger winch with steel cable instead of a lesser (read: cheaper) model with synthetic. If synthetic means that much to you, you can always upgrade to it in the future when additional funding becomes available.

Anyway, that is some of the thought process I went through when I bought my winch last June.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
good info!

personally I hate synthetic rope. Sure its safer when it breaks. Thats a good thing because it breaks CONSTANTLY. I cant count how many ropes Ive seen break and ruin peoples day and week at Top Truck Challenge the past 5 years.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Thanks for the input so far! I am leaning toward the 9.5 or 10k winches, and I have a synthetic line from my broken S*ittybuilt winch in my garage still, so wire is likely the way I will go too since it is cheaper and I can swap lines if I really want to go that route (but I don't really trust the s*ittybuilt line since the winch broke so easily).

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Well, I called Warn customer service and discussed my options with them. I have to say they were EXTREMELY helpful! I was super impressed with the guy I talked to. He was very willing to answer my questions and help me navigate through their products and offerings. I then went and bought the Zeon 10. I am hoping it shows up before FYTO, but no biggie if it doesn't.

Thanks for the input on here too! It definitley helped in my decision.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Whats wrong with your smitty built winch? Interested in donating/selling?

I haven't decided what to do with it except swear at it. It is the XRC 8 with synthetic line. It just gets hot (wont' turn the drum) when you engage the clutch (will spool in and out with the clutch disengaged). I took it to 4WP and paid them $40-$50 (i can't remeber now) for them to tell me it would be cheaper to buy a new one than fix the one I have.

Make me an offer if you want it. I was thinking of taking it to a metal recycler to see what they would give me for it. I can't remember what prices are for dirty steel, but it isn't much.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I'm sure your extra research paid off and you'll be happy with that winch.

Thanks! What winch did you end up getting?

FWIW to anyone in the same situation I was in, I chose the Zeon 10 for 3 basic reasons:
1) My bumper is only rated for a 10k lb winch, otherwise I would have got the Zeon 12. I can't afford to switch bumpers and buy a winch, and a 10k winch should be more than enough for my Jeep.
2) Price. I seriously considered the XD9000 and the XP9.5, but I couldn't justify the cost increases for those models when the Zeon 10 will be more than adequate.
3) Ultimate Performance Features in a Premium series winch. The Zeon's don't have all of the specs of the Ultimate Performance winches, or even the pulling power on all lines that the XD9000 has, but per the Warn guy, the Zeon is sealed up better than the XD, and is more than adequate if you spool off enough line.

Line speed means nothing to me since I don't compete in competition, but pulling power per line on the drum was where I was getting hung up. This winch should work great for what I do with it. And for the cost savings over the other Warn models, it was worth it to me.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member

LT.

Check out the VR Warn series of winches. It sounds like exactly what you were wanting. Warn quailty, great value, and built for the occasional use. I have no experience with them just what I have read.

LT.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Check out the VR Warn series of winches. It sounds like exactly what you were wanting. Warn quailty, great value, and built for the occasional use. I have no experience with them just what I have read.

LT.

I was originally leaning this way, but the guy from Warn dissuaded me. Maybe I fell for the sales pitch to pay more :confused:, but he had legitimate answers to my questions. The VR line of winches are great winches I am sure, but he mentioned that to get to that price point, they aren't sealed and the internals are of lesser quality than the other winches they make. That is how I wound up deciding on the Zeon. It is sealed like the Ultimate performance line (or very close to it), and the performance is pretty close. If I had less of a budget, the VR would be how I would have gone. Having the ability to get a better winch, I did.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Thanks! What winch did you end up getting?

I once owned an XD9000i and I loved it. I had thought about getting a new one, but for the same price I could get a 9.5cti instead. This would give me an updated design and bump me into the Ultimate Performance Series, so that's what I wanted. I priced it out back in October 2012; at that time, my cost was $925. This was pushing the ceiling of my budget, but I figured it was worth the stretch (and it was a stretch). So that's what I told myself I was going to get.

June 2013 rolls around and I'm finally ready to pull the trigger... only to find out the 9.5cti's price had jumped $200 in that time. That was simply more than I could spend, so I had to develop a new strategy. I dropped back to the Premium Series and, going with a lower price tag, decided on an M8000. It was only $600 (which was nice), and this is a rugged, proven design. Everybody I spoke to with an M8000 had nothing but positive things to say about it, and it is stronger than the Zeon8 model so how could I go wrong?

So that's how I ended up with my winch.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Good news is my winch came today. Bad news, it won't fit on my bumper. As I see it, my options are to 1) Return the winch and get a different one that will fit my bumper, 2) Buy a new bumper and sell the one I currently have, or 3) Modify (cut) my current bumper to fit the winch I have.

Option one will cost the most since I will be spending 300 to 400 more to get the winch I would want that will fit. Option 2 could make or cost money depending on how much I spend on a new bumper vs what I can get out of my current bumper. Option 3 will cost me some too since I won't be the one cutting into my existing bumper. I would have it done by someone with a plasma cutter so it looks professional and clean.

My current bumper is a Fab Fours Lifestyle full width bumper with the winch mount and grill guard. I am not in love with my bumper, but it isn't horrible. Plus, it is painted to match. I don't want to paint my new one to match, but my rear is painted to match too. So, if I buy a new bumper, I have to pull the rear off too and get it painted to match the front.

I think the easiest thing is to buy a different winch and keep everything else the same. My dilemma is, do I do that and keep a bumper I don't love, or get the one I love and go through the hassle and expense to get it the way I want it...

Thoughts?