Which Winch?

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(

Stephen

Who Dares Wins

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Just throwing out another opinion:
I buy cheap winches. I have a 9.5k smitty on my Colorado, and a 12k x-bull on my f350. I have abused both of them pretty hard. They both cost less than $300.
If you’ve got extra money, and a fear of not having name brand, then get whatever makes you happy.
I believe both of these cheapo’s have proven themselves worthy to me, and would buy again.
Of course, I am not traveling to a 3rd world country depending on them to save my life either.
But for unstucking vehicles, toppling trees, pulling stumps, and dragging tractors they have been great.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Just throwing out another opinion:
I buy cheap winches. I have a 9.5k smitty on my Colorado, and a 12k x-bull on my f350. I have abused both of them pretty hard. They both cost less than $300.
If you’ve got extra money, and a fear of not having name brand, then get whatever makes you happy.
I believe both of these cheapo’s have proven themselves worthy to me, and would buy again.
Of course, I am not traveling to a 3rd world country depending on them to save my life either.
But for unstucking vehicles, toppling trees, pulling stumps, and dragging tractors they have been great.
13k xbull with synthetic line and a nice fairlead for $330 on the f150 figured it was worth a try

Tonkaman

What's everyone's thoughts on steel vs. synthetic line?
I think if your like Dave and your going to Ironman your way through the wilderness all alone every weekend with the sole purpose of finding Verizon’s dead zones, then get steel. If it’s up there just in case you find that bad situation “some day” then keep it light weight with synthetic.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
What's everyone's thoughts on steel vs. synthetic line?
I used to be pretty PRO-steel; more durable, more traditional, less expensive....

Then over the years, after play winch b!tch at a couple of events and rallies, I have really grown to appreciate the synthetic line. Easier to work with, easier to handle, (especially when pulled 30+ rigs through a wet nasty trail), the rock rash sleeves address the rock rubbing problem, no need to put a weight in the middle of the line to keep from killing someone...

I have even moved to the synthetic/soft shackles, simply because they are easier to use. Not much is worse than being at the hook up end of the winch party and having someone toss a metal clevis/shackle down to you with cold, wet hands 28 times... :D :rolleyes:

Just some things to think about.

FWIW my scrambler has synthetic on my Warn and my wife's rig has steel on her Ramsey... Both have worked great at helping with recoveries... :D

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Mythbusters addressed the steel cable myth.

I use my winches for dragging trees through rocks, dirt, and mud. That is the main reason I've stayed with steel. I am a fan of the soft shackles for either type of winch line.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
One of each for me.

I am always scared when I use the steel that I am going to get a sliver stab, and ALWAYS wear gloves and am cautious.

But I am always scared when I use the synthetic that I am going to rub it wrong or slice it on something sharp.

I say run what you brung and be happy.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Steel cable isn't even allowed in competition so that makes the choice even easier for me. I prefer a winching system with synthetic line and and no hard parts to kill me but I understand my needs are not the same as everybody else's. I look at all of Factor55's shiny parts and think wow that would be way cool to have that hit me in the face when the cable breaks :rofl:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I just looked up some soft shackles on Amazon. They have REALLY come down in price. They used to be like $75 each, so I never bought them. Now you can get a 2 pack of 48,000lb for $25!
again, I am sure these are not the same as name brand stuff.. but I bet they will fit my needs great.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I guess I need somebody to sit me down and show me what those bring to the table besides make your wallet lighter, because I don't get the appeal. But maybe that's because I'm dumb.
I'm pretty sure it's just street cred