who else lives in TOOELE?

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
what is the name of the mountain range on the west side of tooele valley?

is there anything up there?

is it private or open land?

are there any roads or trails?

i have been in this valley for 5 years and middle canyon is all i know.

frankenfab

The mountains on the west side of Tooele Valley are the Stansbury range. They are part of the Wasatch Cache National Forest. There are a lot of dirt roads to explore, but not really "trails". There are a lot of places to go in the Ochre range, from the south end of Stockton around to the Five Mile Pass area. Lots of narrow and rocky old mining roads. Some spectacular views can be found at the top.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I'm glad you asked this question. I just moved here about 2 months ago, and I've only gone up middle canyon as well. Is there anywhere i can get Topo maps of the Stansbury Range?

Jeremy

skylinerider said:
I'm glad you asked this question. I just moved here about 2 months ago, and I've only gone up middle canyon as well. Is there anywhere i can get Topo maps of the Stansbury Range?

looks like we are the only ones who live in tooele. i live about 1/4 mile from the golf cours at the mouth of middle canyon. i work in west jordan, that can sure be a nice drive to work in the morning. that is untill you get to the top and the sun is in your eyes the rest of the way down.

UTAHCRUISER

Supporting Vendor!
I just moved to Tooele a few months ago from Colorado. I've done a little exploring around here, but haven't really found much in the was of good wheelin' nearby. South Willow Canyon is one of the canyons over on the other side of the valley. I highly recommend driving up at least once, if you haven't already. Spectacular scenery up there. There's supposed to be a dirt bike trail up there that goes for quite a few miles, but no trucks allowed on it.

Chad

Jeep_people

I moved to Tooele in Jan. I have been so busy with competition I haven't had time to explore much out here either. I know five mile area is not far and I haven't even made it out there yet.

Jeremy

the only thing i know about five mile is the rattlesnake, we have done that a couple of times.

it is nice to know that i have a few neighbors with the same interests as i do.

i know there are some life long tooele residents out there that can tell me more about the stansbury mtn's.

is it open for camping? are there any lakes, with or without fish?

iceaxe

Backroad Adventurer
Stansbury range
Hiked up there once with a friend and found a nice little lake below some spectacular cliffs, A small group of people were playing up on a talus slope above the lake near a snowfield until huge bolders came off the cliff above them and landed below where they were standing. They came down in a hurry after that. Can't remember what canyon we drove up to start the hike but the road we turned off on was before the campgrounds and main trailhead area. We just hiked up the drainage at the end of the road we took, but we found a regular hiking trail crossing high above the canyon we started in and followed it south/west and up to the lake.

that can sure be a nice drive to work in the morning. that is untill you get to the top and the sun is in your eyes the rest of the way down.
So you go up middle canyon then down into the valley? what route takes you down because butterfield is still closed right? I've always wanted to drive over that there mountain to get to "Too-lee", I mean "too-will-a"

Caleb

iceaxe said:
So you go up middle canyon then down into the valley? what route takes you down because butterfield is still closed right? I've always wanted to drive over that there mountain to get to "Too-lee", I mean "too-will-a"

that road is open all summer long...opens generally in May sometime and stays open till Oct/Nov or till the first real snow...

Caleb

EKSJAE said:
the road is paved almost all the way up butterfield. i never see it being done but every year they get a little closer to the top. :-\

yep, I remember about ten years ago (or more) when Butterfields had no pavement and GREAT camping all the way up the to the top...now its all fenced off and paved the whole way (or just about) :-\

Lazarus401

Old Time RME'r
I have been lived Stansbury Park for about 1 1/2 years now. Moved here from Colorado as well. But due to my work schedule I havent done any wheelin in the area, yet! I have heard there are quite a few nice trails over on the mountains on the Grantsville side of the valley.

maintain

The Rattle Monster!
Tooele Too!

Hey all, I’m here too and have had some trail exploring experience in these hills.

We need to get together and go splorin some trails. :D

Can have some fun in an afternoon, be back in time for dinner. (keeps the wife happy!)

Pony Express
Jacob City
Little Moab
Constrictor
Rattlesnake
Way too many side trails.

I have been in a couple of areas that are 3 1/2 to 4 ratting but have no name, to my knowledge.

Terry

Last edited:

maintain

The Rattle Monster!
Run!

Keep your eyes on the trail rides list for upcoming events.

I am Thinking RS again this weekend, loved saturday, or possibly Jacob City. :cool:

Would enjoy hookin up with a couple of others! :greg:

tiny2085

HomeGrown
I live in Tooele by Elton park. I've lived here for about 3 years. I know A LOT of trails here around Tooele, a couple up middle like white pine, and some on the butterfield pass side, but that is blocked off for the season. I know of one that is about 20 miles and goes from ophir into stockton. that one is a pretty good trail and hogans trail. South mountain is not too bad, but white rock in dugway is a rock about 110' tall and has about a 1/2 mile base that calls for people to crawl it. I'm headed to Moab this weekend to the upper helldorado.