Who has done the new GoPro 3 update?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I have not done an update since I bought both of mine around Christmas time. What type of freezing issues are you having? As far as battery life I can get about 1 1/2 hours out of mine with the standard battery.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I get 45 minutes to 1.5 battery life I average 70 minutes. Compared to about 3 with my HD Hero. It's frustrating.

It would freeze during video, and worse with the battery bac-pac I got from Steve.
Almost 1 in 5 times with my battery Bac-Pac.

And I believe it ate an expensive SanDisk Ultra 64 GB microSD XC 10 speed card (They warrantied it)

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Both mine are the silver editions and I have never had a freezing problem. How many FPS are you recording at? I went to lower quality and fewer FPS and it seemed to increase my battery life a little.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I'm generally shooting 1080p60fps or 1440p48fps. Often in low light conditions.

But I have had it freeze at 720p.

I can see how running a lower frame rate/ resolution would increase battery life,
however I would have likely kept a Hero 2 if I wanted to film at a lower frame rate or resolution.

I will report back if there is any difference with the software update. I can live with the shortened battery life (using the battery bac-pac) if they have hopefully sorted the freezing issue.

sixstringsteve

The problem I've been having is that I'll start recording, then 5-10 seconds later it'll stop recording. I have to push the top button to start recording again. After that it's fine.

Apart from that (and the stupid short battery life) I absolutely love my black edition. I'll have to install the update tonight.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Mine will just belligerently freeze after I stop recording. I have to remove the battery to unfreeze it. Then it won't recognize the SD card until I remove and reinstall it.

Seems worse with the battery pac but it's lousy. I absolutely adore it when it works. It is by far the most versatile camera I've used.

Karnage Fab

mine was freezing at 10 secs and I did the update on my hero 3 white edition and the update stopped the freezing. I don't have a huge battery problem cause I bought a spare battery for the long days.

sixstringsteve

Mine will just belligerently freeze after I stop recording. I have to remove the battery to unfreeze it.

Now that you mention it, I have had to do that once or twice.

I don't have a huge battery problem cause I bought a spare battery for the long days.

I've got 3 batteries, but it's still quite a shock to go from 3.5-4hr battery life with the hero 2 down to <1hr on the hero 3. Even with 3 batteries, I end up draining them enough in a day that I can't keep them charged fast enough. I sure hope this update fixes battery life. Even another 1/2 hr would be a huge improvement to me.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
tru dat.

It's worth it to point out that the white edition has similar resolution specs to the HD Hero 1
Silver has similar resolution specs[/I to the Hero 2
and the Black is a whole different animal

Tonkaman

I finally bought a go pro 3 black as a bonus with the new bike. It's still in the box so I guess I'll see if you like the update before I plug it in