Who has used FMF Gnarly Torque pipe?

jentzschman

Just curious: Has anyone used one on their bike and what do you think of it?

Any input would be helpful. Yes, I have read the reviews on RMATV, but its always nice to get local opinions as well.

Thanks.

Caleb

I've heard nothing but great things about them for the 300s. If I had kept my 300, I would have added a Gnarly pipe for sure.

pELYgroso

'Merica
for my WR 250, I had the FMF fatty pipe. My buddy had the exact same bike w/ the FMF gnarly pipe. His had a little more bottom end, but it took from his top end a little. Mine added to the mid range quite a bit and didn't take any from the top or bottom. I like to ride the technical stuff in the mid-range, so it was exactly what I wanted. I would suggest the fatty, unless you're only into the 1st gear tractor crawl kind of stuff.

jentzschman

Sweet guys, thanks. This is what I was looking for. Everything I read leaned me toward the gnarly. I will look into the fatty more.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I had the gnarly on my Old 2004 CR250 and I loved it for all around riding, Although I had aftermarket reeds and other go fast goodies to make up for the power it robbed me on the top end

jentzschman

It seems from some research, the fatty moto will still give good gains in the bottom and top, but focused on the mid..... Hummm

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

D

Deleted member 12904

No, its a pro circuit platinum.

I am going to give you the same unsolicited advice I gave you on the trail. Quit changing everything on your bike and learn to ride it how its setup. You have a really nice bike but seriously this sprocket that tire this pipe are not going to make up for the skill you learn just riding it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

pELYgroso

'Merica
I am going to give you the same unsolicited advice I gave you on the trail. Quit changing everything on your bike and learn to ride it how its setup. You have a really nice bike but seriously this sprocket that tire this pipe are not going to make up for the skill you learn just riding it.

This is good advice. Use your money for gas to get to the trail if your bike is running good! It seemed to run amazing the other day when I rode it! I assumed you had the stock pipe....the pro circuit pipes are pretty nice (although geared more toward mx racing) and should work well for you. Practice will help you get up the trail with ease much faster than bike mods! :) -But if you're dead-set on a pipe, I vote the fatty!

jentzschman

I enjoy research is all.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I like how much you've learned from all your experimentation. Ypuvr made it real and learned by experience. You'll continue to learn more and more the better you get.

You already know how to jet a bike better than 80% of the riders out there.

jentzschman

I like how much you've learned from all your experimentation. Ypuvr made it real and learned by experience. You'll continue to learn more and more the better you get.

You already know how to jet a bike better than 80% of the riders out there.

IDK about that, but thanks for the moral boost. ;)

I am just a frigidity guy and like to learn when it comes to things like this. The more I ask and gain form other, the more it helps me.
Deviant does have a valid point though. There could come a time when too much of this or that could potentially get me into trouble. However, this is why I strive to learn and ask questions from those who know more about a topic then I do.

I am very grateful for all the advice I get. Everyone see's things in slightly a different color and that helps me see things differently as well and hopefully learn from that.

Caleb

I disagree to a point. If his bike is not setup for the kind of riding he wants to do, then it will be frustrating and discouraging when all your other buddies are making those technical sections and you continuously fail to. Before he can "just ride" he needs to be comfortable on his bike and a major part of that is getting his bike setup for how he rides it. Changing sprockets, tires, pipes, bars, etc is all part of this process and in the grand scheme of things, doesn't cost that much.

D

Deleted member 12904

I disagree to a point. If his bike is not setup for the kind of riding he wants to do, then it will be frustrating and discouraging when all your other buddies are making those technical sections and you continuously fail to. Before he can "just ride" he needs to be comfortable on his bike and a major part of that is getting his bike setup for how he rides it. Changing sprockets, tires, pipes, bars, etc is all part of this process and in the grand scheme of things, doesn't cost that much.

Trevor came out to my place to go for a ride with me and my neighbor. This is his first bike and first year riding a bike. He did awesome! Ge runs a 14 t front sprocket and from my personal experience and seeing him I think that combo works just fine for him. At one point he was talking about running a few different sizes of rear sprockets just try them out. We ran into a few small sections of mud right before we turned around and he mentioned he laid the bike down a few times because of the horrible traction his new trials tire had in the mud. When I asked him why he decided to go to trial tire anyways he replied because Steve and the guys rave about how amazing they are. From what I remember of his bike is Pro Circuit pipe was in great shape. I understand this hobby is new exciting and fun to him and I remember being in the same spot in 06 when I got my first bike. I'm not saying don't set your bike up with the suspension you need the bars you need or other stuff to make it fit you. Again just my unsolicited opinion but at some point you are switching these items out for nothing more than boredom or just the novelty of it. Everybody has different opinions of what works best for them but before you spend all the cash that you're never going to see you again on a 14 year old bike spend some time on it and at least make sure that's the bike you really want. Because I honestly think that for the type of trail riding he does he would find it much more enjoyable on a 4t that already has that lowend grunt out of the box.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
We ran into a few small sections of mud right before we turned around and he mentioned he laid the bike down a few times because of the horrible traction his new trials tire had in the mud. When I asked him why he decided to go to trial tire anyways he replied because Steve and the guys rave about how amazing they are.

Almost any change you make to a bike is to have its benefits and detractions. You need to find what is best for your style of riding. This statement is a perfect example. There is nothing better for mountain riding than a trials tire.......as long as it is not muddy. Knowing how set up changes are going to effect the bike and tailoring that to your riding conditions is a key to having a fun experience.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
I like the power the FMF's give. I might get reamed for this one but I hate the gold plating and dislike the durability to the point I won't buy one again. Even with pipe guards (not the cool guard like Greg has just the plain aluminum style) I had a habit of smashing them beyond repair. With that said every pipe has its limits and maybe I should learn how to ride lol.

I'd personally run what you have PC makes outstanding pipes. The last two pipes I bought new were from Dyno Port. I loved the performance on both my ATK and RM. Good looks don't hurt either.

EDIT: I forgot how ugly my RM was haha. Black plastics = :rolleyes:

DSC01667.jpg

Last edited: