Who here has owned a BMW?

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Was it reliable? Did you like it? would you buy another? this is mostly pertaining to the 3 series and 5 series about 2008 and newer.....

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
We have had an '98 e36 M3 for nine years and still love it!
I have heard plenty of issues with some of the older(1990s-2000s) V8 and cooling problems, some autos don't hold up, it's not a Toyota, they NEED maintenance.
We have replaced the radiator, water pump, expansion tank(x3) valve cover gasket and now the suspension is needing a little TLC, however it has over 131K on it.
If I had the means I would get a newer one, but they are just too expensive, new BMWs don't have a dipstick so you can check your oil ;) sorry if it's not of much help.

SpeedyVic

Was it reliable? Did you like it? would you buy another? this is mostly pertaining to the 3 series and 5 series about 2008 and newer.....

I used to own a Mid 90's 525i. Got it used for cheap and used it as a DD for a couple of years before selling it and breaking even. I would buy another if the price was right.

Here is a resource that I found to be extremely helpful during my ownership period. It may help you out some too:

Bimmer Forums

blznnp

I had a 97 m3 and it was a fun car to drive, but some reason I had some issues with it. Broke two read ends from doing some donuts (could have been avoided of course) and had some electronics mess up in me after it got broken into. Other than that though, never had problems with it. I think if I was to buy another, it would have to be one that had a warranty. Just my thought though. I am sure mine would have been fine if someone didn't take my stereo out and mess up some things, or if I would have put in a aftermarket rear end/gear set up instead of going with stock.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I've owned 2 now.

An 2001 525 Sport E39

and

A 1988 325 Super ETA E30

Both have been good to me. Can't go wrong with the straight six.

The sport suspension models eat tires, but handle insanely well.

Newer ones are just as reliable. The V8's can get expensive ie 540's 740's etc. Stay away from the SUV's they have terrible resale values. Suck off road, and are a general pain in the arse.

dutchman

KI7KSV
Within a series, be it 7, 5, or 3 the second two numbers are the engine size/type. 525 is a 5 series with a 2.5L I6, 528 is 2.8L I6. The 335 or 535 IIRC is the 3.5L twin turbo. I believe the x or xi mean it's an AWD model.

sixstringsteve

The first number is the body type. 3XX is the 3 series. They all share the same (or very close to the same) body/shape. 5xx is the 5 series, which has a different shape/size/body from the 3 series. 3 series are smaller than 5 series, which are smaller than the 7 series. Kinda like a civic vs accord.

The last two numbers are the size of a motor. So a 325 is a 3 series body with a 2.5L engine in it. A 328 has a 2.8L, a 335 has a 3.5L. X usually means awd. i'm not sure what I or IS means, but they're usually upgraded from the base ones.

So a 328 and a 528 will share the same 2.8L motor, but they will have different body styles.

edit: dutchman beat me to it.

Last edited:

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I am finding alot of 328s with the 3.0 motor though.. I originally thought exactly what you described but I am finding this to not be true or are the people listing these cars for sale getting it wrong

sixstringsteve

now that's just confusing.

In my experience, BMWs are tanks. They've got some awesome engineering in them. They're great to drive, and very well built. However, I've learned not to equate well-built with reliable or maintenance-free. Expect more maintenance than your typical honda or toyota, and the maintenance isn't going to be cheap (especially on the newer ones). I had two buddies who worked at the BMW dealer in Lindon, and both said they'd never own a newer bimmer due to maintenance costs alone.

I think as long as you know that going into it, you'll be set.

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
"I" only means Fuel Injected.
My parents have a ci coupe

Any of the inline 6s are great! Again, our 14 year old M3 only has 245hp, but it will move and can get upwards of 30mpg on road trips, I would assume the newer I6 will be similar, but moving more weight.

dutchman

KI7KSV
Is the 2.5 or 2.8 or 3.0 a better or worse motor than others? Big Horsepower increase?

The wikipedia page I linked has the hp breakdown between motors. Like I said earlier my dad's 525i has had no major issues and is now close to 210,000 miles. He's only done the routine maintenance.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
What's the difference between a porcupine and a BMW?

The porcupine has its pricks on the outside!

:rofl: