Who owns a new Jeep Cherokee?

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I liked the old Cherokee but I like the specs for this new one. Does anyone out there own one and what is it like on the trail and around town? It just might be my next vehicle as it seems like it would be a great expedition ride.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Last I heard is that they are having issue with the new transmission which is cause the delay.

They are still finalizing exact software calibration of the new 9-spd transmission. They have actually built about 15,000 of them; they are all sitting in on-site storage. Once the final calibration is complete, they will each receive a software upgrade and then be sent on their way to their respective dealerships.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
UPDATE: new Cherokees have begun to arrive at my store, including some Trailhawk models. If anyone would like to see/drive one, let me know.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
What are your first impressions? Are they as ugly in person as they are in pictures?

Full disclosure: I have always hated chrome. For that reason, I wasn't fond of photos of the non-Trailhawk models since they have that chrome grille setup. The Trailhawk replaces the chrome with an 'accent' color, which is argent on the two that are here. That makes the Trailhawk much less offensive to me personally.

Having said all that, I think they look much better in person than they do in photos. Yes, the stacked lights will take a little getting used to. Still, it's a nice design overall IMO. From some angles, I think it looks downright fantastic.

I finally had a chance to take one for a drive (V6 Trailhawk). I was quite impressed. It is nicely composed, quiet, and feel really solid. The 9-speed transmission goes about its business such that you hardly notice it--most shifts are just about imperceptible unless you're looking at the tachometer.

I'd love to take one off pavement and see how it does.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Full disclosure: I have always hated chrome. For that reason, I wasn't fond of photos of the non-Trailhawk models since they have that chrome grille setup. The Trailhawk replaces the chrome with an 'accent' color, which is argent on the two that are here. That makes the Trailhawk much less offensive to me personally.

Having said all that, I think they look much better in person than they do in photos. Yes, the stacked lights will take a little getting used to. Still, it's a nice design overall IMO. From some angles, I think it looks downright fantastic.

I finally had a chance to take one for a drive (V6 Trailhawk). I was quite impressed. It is nicely composed, quiet, and feel really solid. The 9-speed transmission goes about its business such that you hardly notice it--most shifts are just about imperceptible unless you're looking at the tachometer.

I'd love to take one off pavement and see how it does.

Lets have an off pavement review soon.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I do not care about looks because they will grow on you in time. I am more interested in on and off highway usage and its mechanical abilities.