Who owns a new Jeep Cherokee?

Caleb

Funny/sad story. Today, my wife and I were on the way home from test driving some vehicles and this retard cut me off, I got mad called that stupid minivan names (if you drive a minivan, you're already on my hate list...sorry :) ) then I realized it was a new Cherokee. I saw one a couple days ago from a ways off and thought it was some sort of new Aztec. I'm usually really good at identifying vehicles but this thing seems to morph...and it's always ugly :D

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Enough with the looks. Most say it looks like a piece of excrement but how does it perform on and off road? Of course if no one can get over the old square box no one will buy it and I will never find out. The cost looks high to me.

Caleb

Enough with the looks. Most say it looks like a piece of excrement but how does it perform on and off road? Of course if no one can get over the old square box no one will buy it and I will never find out. The cost looks high to me.

How was your test drive??? I assume you've at least done that, right???

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Well I have sold my trailer and Ram so got serious about the Cherokee and GC. I like the test drive but their prices were too high. I went to CarMax and now I am really confused. The jeeps were too expensive. I liked these cars; 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i wagon; 46k miles; 24/30 Mpg; $24,998; ;;; 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport; 20/26 Mpg; 43k miles; 20/26 Mpg; $20,998;;; 2013 Toyota Venza; 18/25 Mpg; 34k miles; $21,599... The Toyota is the only one with a V6.

So help me you guys---opinions needed.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
My opinion is that you have been wanting the jeep for more than 2 years.. Jumping ship now, and just going for what is available will disappoint you in the near future. I would search for jeeps on ksl or other private party sellers. I would also look out of state where 4x4 prices are often cheaper than Utah prices.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I have a coworker who traded in his subi XV for a new Cherokee a year ago. He likes the Cherokee a lot but the trans still needs better programming to take advantage of the 9 speeds. This was a early model, not sure if that has been addressed in the later ones

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I went to CarMax and now I am really confused. The jeeps were too expensive. I liked these cars; 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i wagon; 46k miles; 24/30 Mpg; $24,998; ;;; 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport; 20/26 Mpg; 43k miles; 20/26 Mpg; $20,998;;; 2013 Toyota Venza; 18/25 Mpg; 34k miles; $21,599... The Toyota is the only one with a V6.

So help me you guys---opinions needed.

Random related thoughts, in no particular order:

1) CarMax is a great place to test drive vehicles, but it's a lousy place to buy one (unless you have lots of excess cash you just don't know what to do with).

2) The Jeep/RME crowd will scoff, but Subaru is a master of car-based AWD capability. Ask Brett about driving his wife's Outback to his cabin.

3) Subaru (as a brand) has recently been ranked #1 at resale value. Again.

4) Having driven a Venza and an Outback back-to-back at Miller Motorsports Park, it is no surprise that Toyota has already discontinued the Venza due to poor sales. Compared to the Outback, it is smaller (especially in the cargo area), has significantly poorer outward vision and has a lot more road noise--I was genuinely shocked by how loud it was. Since it is essentially just a Camry wagon with AWD grafted in, I expect it to be a reliable car in the long haul.

5) Is a six cylinder engine a must-have feature, Jack?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
What is the difference between the outback and forester?

Mechanically, not much. The engine is the same; the AWD system is the same; the transmission is very similar; the ground clearance is identical. Due to all that similarity, you'd think they would feel exactly alike... but this is not true. The Outback is smoother, quieter, and feels much more luxurious, whereas the Forester feels quite a bit more utilitarian in comparison. The Forester's taller glass area and upright rear window give it outward visibility rivaled only by top-down convertibles. The Forester also has shorter front and rear overhangs, making it a better choice in some off-pavement situations. They are both at the very top of their class in safety ratings and resale value, and the fuel economy only differs by one whole mile per gallon... which means you ought to sample them both and pick the one you like better.

Need more in-depth info? Let me know.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
What is the difference between the outback and forester?

The Forester is classified as a SUV, much taller and more cargo room. We had a 2001 and it was awesome, best snow "car" we have ever had. We took it camping but that's about as far as I would wheel one.

Id trust the new Cherokee especially with the trial hawk package to do much better in the rough stuff.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
What about the i4 in the Cherokee. It seems strong and with the transmission very responsive like the old 4cyl sticks I used to drive. But it is a 4 and has to work harder at higher rpm. Any reliability information available?

mesha

By endurance we conquer
If you are looking at a subaru then you need to go see Dempsey. He has rainman level knowledge on everything subaru.

My wife REALLY wants a new cherokee. I bet we end up with one eventually.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
that is turbominivan on RME

He works at doug smith in american fork. I know that is a little drive for you, but it will be worth it.