Who would you recommend for an engine swap?

Tacomatose

I would like to know who you guys would recommend to swap a 4.0ltr injected engine into an 83 scrambler. My buddies engine just died and we have the 4.O with wiring and everything. Please let me know what you think. He is looking to get this done fairly quickly. Thanks guys

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I have a 4.0L in my CJ and its does much better than the old 4.2L. I think it also is an "easier" bolt because it should mate up to the tranny and mounts. If money was no objeect I would rather have a Chevy 350 for more power.

RockPaws

It's All About Rocks!
It all should just bolt right in as far as the engine goes. Are you using the donor vehicles wiring? If so has it been mapped to determine where each wire goes? That takes the longest to make a professional looking job. Its about 20-30 hours labor all depending on the condition of it all. Sometimes more if its a mess. Do you have the high pressure pump, OBD harness?
If my home shop was not so busy at the moment, I would take a crack at it. Sounds like a good project.
Check with Jerry Lambert Automotive in SLC, They do good work. I usually refer to them when I'm busy.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I just did this in my 84 scrambler. Everything bolts up well. I used a TJ motor and XJ injection and wiring. The xj wiring and fuel lines fit well into a scrambler, I didn't even have to re-drill the holes for the fuse block connector. I also used the XJ interior wiring and steering column so that I could have tilt, cruise, delay wipers, and on the column light dimming. I used the stock CJ gauges to keep it looking stock. If you friend wants help I can tell him where to look for the information on how to do it or answer any questions.
Dave

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
Not to hyjack the thread but if anyone has time to help me ficgure out how to get my gauges working (86 CJ with a 97 4.0L from a XJ) would be much appreciated. The previous owner did the swap and the fuel/temp/oil/voltage don't work

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
V-DAWG said:
I would recommend a 502 :greg:

Me too. I really don't see the sense in a 4.0 swap. The guy has the last year Jeep that can really go nuts on an engine swap with and not have IM worrys. He can put a V8 of his choice not use any polution control hardware and pass the test with no trouble.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Jay5.9L said:
Not to hyjack the thread but if anyone has time to help me ficgure out how to get my gauges working (86 CJ with a 97 4.0L from a XJ) would be much appreciated. The previous owner did the swap and the fuel/temp/oil/voltage don't work

I can help you with that. Did they use the 97 xj engine wiring harness and computer or an aftermarket harness ? If they used the 97 harness and computer it is a bit more complicated but can still be made to work. If they kept the stock cj instrument panel the voltage guage just needs to be hooked up to an ignition switched 12V source on the positive side of the guage and ground on the other. The fuel guage should also be hooked up in the same way except that the ground side of the meter goes to the sending unit. This assumes that they left the sending unit in the tank or if they swapped out the sending unit for the 97 compatible pump and sending unit. The 97s used an in tank pump and regulator. I would need to know how they did the tank to tell you for sure. The temp guage is a bit tougher since a 97 only has one temperature guage and it is used by the computer for engine control. On the 95 and older 4.0 engines there are two temp sensors one on the front of the engine for the computer and one on the back of the head for the guage. What most guys do is add the cj 6 cylinder temp sending unit in the second sending unit location or drill and tap the thermostat housing to accept another sending unit. One side of the temp guage goes to switched 12 v and the other side goes to the sending unit. The oil pressure sending unit is mounted near the oil filter. On the older wiring harnesses (95 and older) the computer doesn't sense the oil pressure so you can screw in a cj sending unit and wire it up just like the temp circuit. I think the 97 computer senses oil pressure so you need to put a Tee joint in that will allow you to screw both sending units in, one for the computer and one for your guage.
Dave