Who's the experienced post hole digger?

ZUKEYPR

I got six 12" holes to dig for footers. I rented a Ground hog (pull along auger) and it didn't the first two pretty easy, struggled with the third but got it done, but the remaining three I can't get it to go more than six or so inches. Does the auger's mounted to the skid steers do any better before I go renting one?

XJEEPER

Raised on a ranch, I've dug more post holes by hand than I can count.....was a happy day when Dad showed up with a PTO driven digger that was 3 point hitch mounted to the tractor. Still had to do alot of hand work with a bar and shovel in steep rocky terrain though......man work.
Enough of my stroll down memory lane, the Toro Dingo is a track driven unit that has a post hole auger attachment and will work much better than a trailer mounted unit. Full size skid steer augers are even better. Home Depot used to rent Dingo's..... Good luck.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
For holes that shallow a pickaxe is awesome, even in rocky soil. I dug 8 36" deep holes through this bullshit rock-strewn clay in a couple hours....

If you can get a skid-steer, there's really no argument against THAT. They are awesome, and way less work . :D