why does my grand cherokee do this

fonzisjeepn

If you grand cherokee guys help me it would be great. when I start my jeep(96 grand cherokee V8) it revs up to 1200 - 1500 rpms and then dies also when it does stay running the rpms jump up and down up and down. I dont have a lot of power also. It has almost 100,000 miles on it. Would a tune up help this or is it a sensor or what??????? :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
brother-in-laws XJ did this I think it was the O2 sensors and I know he replaced the cam position sensor but not sure if that was related to the idling problem

Fester

I had a V8 Dakota do something similar..........no codes and local dealership couldn't find anything :rolleyes: . I ended up replacing the TPS on a hunch......all problems solved.

4x4phil

I owned a 97 zj and it did just what you said. Right when it started it'd rev too high and the rest of the time I had one foot on the gas and one on the break to keep it running and it was the tps. But I still had good power. The motor was running well, it just wouldn't idle properly. If you have bad power I'd probably look into the iac cause it'll effect the idle and power. My check engine light did come on.

fonzisjeepn

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help. I replaced the IAC and the jeep runs like a jeep. no but really it fixed the problem and thanks for all the help you guys rule. :D :D :D :D :D

H-K

INFIDEL
Supporting Member
Wanker Delux said:
Don't forget the new coversheet for your TPS reports!

LOL :D

Yeah. I got the memo. And I understand the policy. The problem is, I just forgot this one time. And I've already taken care of it so it's not even a problem anymore.