Why I Removed the ‘Black List’

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I guess I need to give an explanation as to why I removed the ‘Black List’.
After some careful thought and consideration, and especially after I alienated a friend’s business, I thought to myself, was this really such a good idea? Yes, it’s a good idea not to throw our support behind businesses that don’t support us, but shouldn’t we be doing that by only supporting businesses that directly support us? Thursday night the U4WDA talked at length about creating a ‘Trail Friendly Business’ program. It was finally agreed that we will pursue this route, and businesses that are members of this program will place a sticker in their window (door, wall, ect.) so that they can be recognized as supporters.
SUWA got us on this one guys, but by boycotting the businesses that ‘signed’ that letter, we may inadvertently push the businesses that where ‘duped’ into signing the letter into becoming full fledged supporters of SUWA, and wouldn’t that be worse? In regards to Mike Swensons approach of ‘turning up the heat’ and applying pressure to these businesses, I agree. But if you call up and ask, “So… do you support OHV’s?” what the hell do you think that they are going to say? If I ran a business in Moab and some guy calls up and asks that I’m gonna say, “Sure do buddy, come buy some granola before you hit the trails next time!” Wouldn’t it be better to apply pressure by only shopping at businesses with a ‘Trail Friendly’ sticker in the window? By placing that sticker in their window, the business is courting you as a customer. This will pressure companies that don’t have that sticker into wanting one so that they will get your money. That’s the ultimate way to hit someone in the pocket book, by being ignored, not boycotted. If this program goes well, U4WDA could possibly even put a list or ad in the EJS paper next year. Something like, “Look for this sticker before you shop!” Wouldn’t that be cool and deadly effective too?
In addition, that list has been stigmatized (perhaps by my own hand) as ‘The Black List’ even if it isn’t called one. As far as the companies that where duped, I fully think that USA-All should find out who they are and see if there is any legal route that they can take against SUWA on behalf of those businesses, any bad press for SUWA is good press for us.
So back to the ‘Trail Friendly Business’ program, this is what we should be focusing on. Let’s start putting a list together of companies that we know, without a doubt, support us. Only after we have that list should we start focusing on who is on the fringe and we aren’t sure about.

Sincerely,

~Stephen Robert Nielson
Historian, Utah 4-Wheel Drive Association

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
i like this idea much better, i think the SUWA can be very deceptive and im sure they were when they wrote up the petition, i personally know the guy (my cousin) that runs the chevron down there, i know he isnt some hard core wheeler but he sure is not against it! he profits off of ejs more than just about any other bussines down there, him and his wife even cheered my buddie on while going up potato salad. id sure hate to see his gas station be boycotted just because of a deceptive SUWA petition

Cory

If I owned a non-4x4 related Moab business, I wouldn't sign up for a program to support trail riding, just like I obviously wouldn't sign the SUWA letter. Why is a business going to want to risk alienating anyone? Sure having the sticker in the window might draw in one or two more people, but it is likely to keep even more out. Maybe many of the granola hippies that come to Moab don't spend a lot of money, but I'm sure they all spend a little and some of them probably spend a lot. If I owned a business, frankly I wouldn't care whose money I was taking, as long as I'm staying in business.

So unless a business if 4x4 related, I can't imagine them signing up to display a trail support sticker. But that is just my take.

Capt. Picky

quite
I'm tending to agree with Cory on this one.

If I may also add my opinion on the subject of the "trail-friendly" sticker idea that you submitted, I'd like to take the opportunity to add my 2 cents on that. I'm not in favor of this idea, either as an ordinary inhabitant of earth and member of the human species, or as a 'business person'. Why? My reasoning is that I see it as being somewhat akin to 'advertising a religion/ sexual preference' or other such concept. That idea could possibly affect and alienate a non-4 wheeling enthusiasts view of a business.

I'm not just talking from a pro / con 4-wheeling viewpoint here. What I'm trying to say is that I think a business - regardless of product or focus of clientele - should be truly non-partisan. It should be neutral and open to whomever the potential client might be, regardless of their political or other leanings. Tastes vary, and for instance, some might not like roller-bladers, classical music, heavy-metal, ballet, Chinese food...., whatever. Why even 'go there', is my feeling.

Now, I fully realize that all of this is/has been prompted by the simple fact that businesses were listed - including my own - as having a viewpoint in that SUWA Ad. I've already stated that this was (from my business and how that could possibly have come to pass) a huge mistake. Ordinarily - Customarily, as a rule, I support /detract from NO specific political/ religious/ or any other partisan point of view. I believe those issues are private and should remain that way. It is similar to the 'don't ask - don't tell' type of action. Simply my opinion.

Once again, it is *my* avowed position to not push/favor one agenda or another, even though through no direct fault of *my* own (I've already addressed how this may have occurred) the Ad did have my business listed. I believe that no such 'political' (or any other - no matter how innocent or non-descript-neutral) will ever be elicited or forthcoming from my place of *business* at any time, for any purpose, ever again. Even if I actually like, support or dislike, or detest a particular ideal... I see no point in mixing up the two.

As for other businesses, business owner/operators, that is entirely their decision and choice, and I would no sooner suggest to them what avenue of action they should pursue than I would like to have others determine for me which way I should run my affairs.

Thanks,
Bob (Capt. Picky)

roktaxi

Locked Up = More Freedom
I agree with Cody & Bob.

I own two businesses in Moab. I proudly display various bumper / window stickers on my PERSONAL vehicles but my WORK vehicle if void of any such items. I feel it’s inappropriate to display personal preferences of any kind on my business vehicles. An old saying goes: “Don’t mix business with pleasure”. However, like it was previously stated, if the business is directly related to certain outdoor activities, it would not only be appropriate but also make good business sense to display preferences of those activities. It’s all a matter of healthy business practices.

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
Capt. Picky said:
If I may also add my opinion on the subject of the "trail-friendly" sticker idea that you submitted, I'd like to take the opportunity to add my 2 cents on that. I'm not in favor of this idea, either as an ordinary inhabitant of earth and member of the human species, or as a 'business person'. Why? My reasoning is that I see it as being somewhat akin to 'advertising a religion/ sexual preference' or other such concept. That idea could possibly affect and alienate a non-4 wheeling enthusiasts view of a business.

As a business owner (non-4x4 related) I wouldn't put one in my window either. The businesses in Moab are not the problem; it's the people. Educate them before segregating them.

Besides I kinda put this in the same league as Wal-Mart haters … most everyone thinks Wal-Mart is the evil of the earth and always spout that people shouldn’t shop there, but people will speak that as they are walking into their doors. What people say and do are not always the same.

I think the 'Trail Friendly' or 'Four-wheel Friendly' sticker is a great idea. If some businesses don't want to display such an affiliation because they don't want to offend some anti-offroad (or even neutral) customers, then it is their decision and I fully understand and support it. We can still start the program, and try to get as many businesses as possible to support the idea. If only one gas station in Moab gets a sticker, then maybe they'll get all the 4x4 business.

BLH

I like this Idea also. I think it will send a good message. About you people that posted you have business down there and would display it. That is your choice, but just cause you don't display it, don't mean you aren't still going to get business, those that know you in 4x4 comunity will still come. I got some friends I met threw my cousin down there with business also, there is know way in Hell! they will display something like that. I will still go there when I'm down there, we choose to respect each others views. Which they also have learned from me a better understanding of real offroad community. So I see this a good thing, cause I will still going places that don't post and ask them why? Kind hard to fix a problem if you really don't know what it is. I look at this problem with us and TreeHuggers, like a Electrical problem in a newer car!

UtahFire

Here is a SUWA update about the business boycott. It sounds like they don't think much of the impact of the OHV communities cash. For the sake of business owners in Moab, I hope the SUWA members cash is as "green" as their politics.

http://www.suwa.org/entry.php?entry_id=661

(3) FROM MOAB WITH LOVE

A huge thank you goes out to all our members in Colorado and Utah who sent emails and made phonecalls to Moab businesses regarding our open letter to Governor Huntsman. More than 100 Utah business owners signed the letter that appeared in a full-page ad in the Salt Lake Tribune on Sunday, March 27.

The ad clearly demonstrated the growing breadth of support for balanced management of our public lands. A few off-roaders in online discussion groups, alarmed by the long list of businesses, reacted to the non-confrontational letter by targeting the most mainstream supporters for a retaliatory boycott. It was highly effective when these businesses, who rely in no small part on tourism revenues, also heard from folks who supported their stand for the land.

Most of the businesses who signed on to the open letter to the governor reported that an overwhelming majority of the comments they received from the public were favorable. This has made a huge impression! Word is spreading that taking a public stand to protect the land can be good for business--even in conservative southern Utah. Rest assured that the impact of your emails and phone calls will be felt for months and years ahead as we continue to expand grassroots for balanced public lands management.