Why is my Jeep hesitating?

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Okay, when it's nice and chilly out, my Jeep likes to hesitate when I am accelerating. It feels like it almost shudders, like it's not getting enough air or fuel...? Thought maybe it was slipping on the tranny the first time, but I know what that feels like and it's not that. What sensors am I going to be replacing this time? It's fine once it's warmed up enough to get above the 100 degree mark on my gauge. Kind of weird to me!

89 Cherokee 4.0 Auto :hickey:

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Forgot to mention that it idles odd now and then. Runs nice and smooth around 800 (seems higher than normal to me) and then suddenly it'll drop down about 75-100 RPM's and runs a bit rougher, almost like it's missing...???

Brett

Meat-Hippy
BioNuke1 said:
If you check engine light is on maybe get it scanned and see if any of your sensors are crap.

No check engine light on this baby, that's only the California models. This is pre OBD-1 here so no scanning either! :greg:

Come on Jeep people! I'm thinking that my IAC is going bad on me.

Caleb

it could be the IAC but have you checked the simple things? plugs wires rotor and cap? where you say it sounds like its missing or something I would look at spark first before air, then fuel delivery, then air ;)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Brett said:
Well, if it's plug wires (and I am not checking right now) why would it run fine when it warms up?
Ya got me. My mom had a hesitation like you described. Turned out to be a broken plug wire.