Why the fear of a Taser

teknodestrukto

And if it would help me do my job better I would be willing to be Tased . . .

But if this is just an excuse to take a shot on lawyers: why don't you go ahead and go through law school, study for, and take the bar.

Looking back, I would have much rather been Tased than go through the last 8 years again.

Good idea. Go to the academy, graduate, work as a cop in Ogden or West Valley for a few years and then make a comment. It might have some credibility at that time.

teknodestrukto

Regarding the Canadian incident, you call your entire argument into question by quoting the Arizona Republic and CNN. Two of the most biased news sources in existence.

Let's see what the final pathologic diagnosis says after the ME's work has been reviewed by his peers. I'll bet he changes it or others dispute his findings. I'll also bet he has an agenda, but we'll see. Other medical examiners have cited the Tazer as the primary cause of death and have later recanted. According to the story, this ME listed electrocution as the primary cause of death. This will definately be overturned upon further review since the Tazer is incapable of causing electrocution.

There's nothing wrong with passing electric current through someone's body. Voltage is harmless without amperage. At approximately .076 joules, the tazer has not, and will not cause death. There is always something else going on, in every case, and the attorneys know it. They're just bucking for a class action suit.

In nearly every case, the subject has drugs or a mental health issue which prevents him/her from understanding that they've reached the point of complete exhaustion and that further exertion will cause their heart to stop. The jury is still out on the actual cause, however, the only death a tazer will ever cause is if someone is unwise enough to taze the bridge jumper who ultimately falls to his death due to his incapacitation. Even then the tazer would be a secondary cause to the sudden deceleration experience by the "jumper."

No one every cites the 75% decrease in officer involved shootings in Phoenix, just one city out of hundreds, since the department-wide use of the Tazer.

NE_Utah

Very good stuff here, but lets remeber not to get all pissy. StrobeNGH that was not a stab at you to get tased, It might help you in court.

As for the tools. I carry these tools everyday
Brain
Experience
Training
Gun
Rifle
Shot gun
Taser
Knife
OC (pepper spray)
ASP (baton)
Radio
Knowing how to talk to people.
spell and grammer check on the computer:D

I was reading through some of my old training manuals on knife defence.
All you need is less than one inch of a knife to hit any artery on the body. It also states that the death rate of the knife is 97% the gun is only 14%.
So why the taser. I am more afraid of a knife than a taser. At 21 Feet distance a person with a knife will still get the officer before he can draw his weapon. at 31 feet the officer is able to get two shots before getting stuck.

Take electric fences. should we not allow them to be used on farms, what are the death rates of cattle or farmers. They use more volts and amps than the X26.

StrobeNGH this is good to have you on here, you must be a defense attorney:D It is good to see how you see things and how the public views it.

In lawenforcement you need to have mental and physical control over the subject, the taser does both.

Most people know that they more than likely will not get shot with the officers duty weapon, but the taser they know they will get zapped.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I was reading through some of my old training manuals on knife defence.
All you need is less than one inch of a knife to hit any artery on the body. It also states that the death rate of the knife is 97% the gun is only 14%.
So why the taser. I am more afraid of a knife than a taser. At 21 Feet distance a person with a knife will still get the officer before he can draw his weapon. at 31 feet the officer is able to get two shots before getting stuck.

Take electric fences. should we not allow them to be used on farms, what are the death rates of cattle or farmers. They use more volts and amps than the X26.

That's some good info right there - gun versus knife... So why is the gun only 14%? Is it because of a bad shot? or? I don't know how other LEO's are trained, but I know how my wife was trained. She was trained to always aim for center mass and to stop the threat, even if it means unloading her 14 round clip of .40 hollow points - she also carries two more 14 round clips for a total of 43 rounds (granted she will be trying to get the heck out of there if she ever needs to grab a new clip!). To me, that says 100% death.

Good point on the electric fences.. But I think the animals can sense the electric current before they even touch it and can stay away from it. So I don't think they are ever actually shocked. ...Is my understanding...

NE_Utah

Wayne I have no idea why it is that way. Sounds like your wifes training is the same as here. Shoot to stop, center of mass. You hear all the time of people living through 5-8 gun shot wounds.

I think I will dig into that more.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Wayne I have no idea why it is that way. Sounds like your wifes training is the same as here. Shoot to stop, center of mass. You hear all the time of people living through 5-8 gun shot wounds.

I think I will dig into that more.

Yeah that's weird..... 5-8 ~1/2" holes in your chest and you're still alive? WOW! :eek: And most likely they have gone all the way through, so there is an even bigger exit hole. ...Cuz we're only talking like 30 yards.

...And just so you know, I'm not doubting your figures. I just find them fascinating. I've seen what her duty ammo can do to full pumpkins at ~50 feet.:cool:

cannoncrawler

TWERNT THE MORMONS!!!!!!
I have a pacemaker......will a tazer stop it? Logic says The tazer isn't good for it. But I would still rather be tazerized than shot or sprayed. I have had need a good swift kick in the butt before, and if I ever need it again, then tase me. (but be gentle)

Last edited:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
the gravitational force of my enormous head is usually enough to alter the trajectory of incoming bullets so that they miss me. I'm 100 times more difficult to shoot as a result of this which yields a .14% chance of hitting me.

I'm as close as it gets to being a real super hero. Were it not for my sterling moral fiber and unparalleled ethical standards I'd enter into a career as a bank robber.

Cody

Last edited:

teknodestrukto

I have a pacemaker......will a tazer stop it? Logic says The tazer isn't good for it. But I would still rather be tazerized than shot of sprayed. I hae need a good swift kick in the butt before, and if I ever need it again, then tase me. (but be gentle)

Taser Intl. placed pacemakers in pigs and hit them with the human and the animal versions of Tasers with no negative affect on the unit...

It's common for people to not die from a handgun wound, or even multiple wounds. A handgun is a compromise, at best. They're carried and deployed because they are portable and easily concealed, if necessary. Anyone serious about stopping a lethal threat has a long gun. Usually in the .223 or .30 cal range. Then there's my all-time favorite, the 12 gauge shotgun. As opposed to a handgun, with a long gun you can impose your will out to 600+ yards.

NE_Utah

Taser Intl. placed pacemakers in pigs and hit them with the human and the animal versions of Tasers with no negative affect on the unit...

It's common for people to not die from a handgun wound, or even multiple wounds. A handgun is a compromise, at best. They're carried and deployed because they are portable and easily concealed, if necessary. Anyone serious about stopping a lethal threat has a long gun. Usually in the .223 or .30 cal range. Then there's my all-time favorite, the 12 gauge shotgun. As opposed to a handgun, with a long gun you can impose your will out to 600+ yards.

I think a 12 gauge slug might stop someone.:D

I have tased a guy with a pacemaker about 3 diffrent times. He is still around causing problems

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I think a 12 gauge slug might stop someone.:D

Meet... THE HAMMER

Specifications:
Firearm: Firearm core utilizes MPS AA-12 tactical 12-gage shotgun
Dimensions: Approximately 2” x 12.5” x 33” (5cm x 32cm x 84cm)
Weight: Approximately 15 lbs (6.8 kg)
Materials: Aircraft grade stainless steel, thermoplastics, & anodized aluminum
Gage: 12 gage shotgun chambered for 2-3/4” – 3” version in testing now
Action: Gas operated from open bolt full-automatic with electronic select-fire
Safety: Manual safety lever overrides electronic functions
Orientation: Typical mounting with magazine facing up
Voltage: 18–30 Volts DC – standard firing system interface
Sighting: Daylight visible bore sighted laser – optional bore sighted camera
Maintenance: Minimal cleaning required – runs dry (no oil to attract sand & dust)
Recoil: Minimal – Approximately 10 lbs (4.5 kg) constant force
Capacity: 8 round box magazine & 20 round drum magazines available
Barrel: 13” (33cm) length stainless with locking breach
Rate of Fire: 300 rounds per minute (5 rounds per second)
Warranty: 1 year materials & workmanship

:greg::greg::greg::greg::greg:

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
yeah sorry about that.. that's the size they are on thier site..

Paging Herzog... resize pictures in my last post... Herzog... ;)

-Jason