WHY?

Caleb

Primarily it's to have a better turning radius. If they are the same, you won't have as good of a turning radius. It's not a huge deal if they are the same.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
If the front is wider, the rear tires track more in line with the front tires while turning. (i.e., the rear tires ride in the same tracks that the front tires left...)

If the axles are the same width, the rear tires are more likely to run over things in the center of your turning circle that the front tires missed.

Clear as mud...?:hickey:

Mope

I would assume that this is magnified if the rear is a little wider than the front. My custom rear housing is about 1.5" wider than the front, and it does feel different than before.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
FWIW... An old buddy runs the desert roads at speed in a SC'd 3rd gen 4runner that has a wider front track width than the rear. He prefers it for handling in the sand and loose dirt. I have no experience with a setup like that, but he loved it.

rondo

rondo
I swapped in Ford 9 in my YJ back in the day making the rear axle wider than the front. I didn't rock crawl then but i really didn't notice anything bad about the arrangement. I definitely do not recommend spacers on any axle.