Wild enduro lighting mission/quest (calling the electrical gurus)

jentzschman

Going on a wild mission here: I want to attempt to add a single HID light to my yz for those late night police chases and trail runs. :D

I found this stator that seems to offer the highest output: http://www.electrosport.com/dirt-bi...hting-stator-4-pole-yamaha-yz250-35w-507.html

However, HID's draw a good amount of power at initial start up. From some reading I have been doing, it seems that adding a capacitor (inline/in connection with (whatever the best way to wire one in) could potentially help with the initial power draw from the HID. Once the HID's get warmed up, the power draw is very minimal and the stator "should" be able to keep up. I would like to add this guy as well in hopes of it helping "maintain" some power reserve: http://www.motydesign.com/product.php?batteries=4-cell-battery . I also know I will need this guy as well: http://www.trailtech.net/7003-RR150.html

My question is: What is the best way to add the capacitor and what size capacitor would be best? (assuming this would all work)

Thanks for any input on this crazy idea. It wold be awesome to see it work. If not, guess the old fashion headlight will have to do.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I like the idea; however, with so many LED options why not find compromise on a powerful LED that requires very little amperage draw?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I like the idea; however, with so many LED options why not find compromise on a powerful LED that requires very little amperage draw?

I don't know the answer to this, but I've heard that LEDs still don't throw as far as HID.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
Here is a quick wiring diagram...

The stator will produce a sinewave like AC (house hold power) that will go into the rectifier that then takes the AC and converts it to somewhat of DC (car battery) which you will then put to the battery... The capacitor does not have a polarity so either side can be hooked up just make sure that the lite positive side goes to the battery positive side on the capacitor.

The capacitor will charge up but discharges really quickly so it might not do to hold enough until the lite fires up... but it will help. as far as what size... the bigger the better!

I think that more batteries in parallel would be a better option then the capacitor. They will hold the voltage better for the lite to fire. Presentation1.jpg

D

Deleted member 12904

As I now have a yz 250 myself the thought of a light has crossed my mind also. Here are my thoughts

Fisrt that stator is like $180 plus all the extras that's a lot of coin for light. Next the stator is only rated at 35 watts and I would not be surprised if that's at peak rpm. Trail riding at night with minimal light I don't think you will have a full 35 watts at theses rpm.

Next I could care less about being street legal. I have rode into small towns a number of times with nothing more then offroad tags for food or gas and never had one problem. That's why a removable light is far more appealing to me. If you haven seen it check out the light rack I made for my drz. I don't think I need or want anything that big for the yz but I plan to pick a light about 40 watts and build a removable rack. Your welcome to come build one the same time I do mine if you like. http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?94913-Custom-lighting-for-my-DRZ400

So now onto what I'm thinking. Battery! Or my 18 volt drill battery. I have several for all my cordless tools and have them in both 1.5 ah and 3 ah.

Now my test this morning in light of this thread I took a 1.5 ah and hooked it upto a 40 watt light.
40 watts / 18 volts = 2.2 amps / 1.5 ah = 1.5 hours. Or 3 hours with one of my 3 ah batteries. I can pack a few extra as they don't weigh much but really a 1.5 and a 3 should be plenty for a fun night trail ride.

I started this test 45 min ago as I type this so I will report back with my results

2013-04-07_08-25-36_580_zpscfc64fb4.jpg

2013-04-07_08-25-43_262_zps475e0f42.jpg

D

Deleted member 12904

Well I had some disappointing results. After about 55 minutes the light started to noticeably dim. I still think for me a battery is going to be the best option still.

I'm going to do a little bit more research and I have something else in mind so if you're interested I can post results when I get the new stuff.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Caleb

I don't have a whole lot to add other than I can garantee the BD light to be night and day nicer than the polisport. Although, I can save you about $20 on that polisport.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
reading on the BD light its talking about bikes with electric start having to have the stator rewound to be able to run LED lights.

Whats up with that?

D

Deleted member 12904

Ok so here is my new plan. I have had some of these in the past. They are small bright at 1800lm, have a great pattern for a bike and only draw 18 watts. Down side is I had to order 20 of them to get them to do a production run for me.

2013-01-05_15-21-06_939.jpg

2013-01-05_15-21-00_897.jpg

2013-01-05_15-20-55_77.jpg

The light will fit between the forks and I have a good idea for a mount to fit it flush mount it to the front number plate.

Then I ordered this battery and will fit it in a front fender pack.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170937990572?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Math says over 5 hours of light but if I get 3-4 I will be happy.

It may take a few weeks but will post new results.

jentzschman

Ok, back to another idea:

Get a stator, then add this, (or some bean pattern): http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/inde...rm2-specter-driving-beam-white-led-91231.html

Question is, can something like this be wired in to a dirt bike stator? I'm guessing yes, but could/will it pose any issues?

I don't mind doing electrical work, I am just not savvy with it. Once I get some understanding of it for a particular application I can tackle it ok.

D

Deleted member 12904

My battery showed up a few weeks ago but its been sitting on the back burner like a lot of projects. Anyways I charged it the other day and hooked it to one of the 18 watt lights. The light was on for nearly 4 hours and still going strong when I unplugged it to go to bed. Now that I know this will work for me when I get a free minute I will draw up the light mount in Cad and have it cut.

2013-05-02_21-14-25_746_zpsb69f6dd7.jpg

jentzschman

My battery showed up a few weeks ago but its been sitting on the back burner like a lot of projects. Anyways I charged it the other day and hooked it to one of the 18 watt lights. The light was on for nearly 4 hours and still going strong when I unplugged it to go to bed. Now that I know this will work for me when I get a free minute I will draw up the light mount in Cad and have it cut.

2013-05-02_21-14-25_746_zpsb69f6dd7.jpg

Sweet. I am looking to order my lighting stator soon so I am looking to try this light out on my yz. Did you get the lights in yet?

jentzschman

neagtea

Supporting Member
The Desert guys used to use Ricky stator parts that was before the low amp draw lighting so his stuff must put out some amps.
I have not investigated but their lighting was plenty bright.

I think deviant is on to something though for about 1/4 or less of the price.

jentzschman

I think deviant is on to something though for about 1/4 or less of the price.

For some reason it just hit me.... He plans on using just the batteries to power the light without a stator.... why that did not click till just now idk...

4 hours on one of those batteries is not bad. Wiring two, or more together with a switch should be a sweet set up...

D

Deleted member 12904

For some reason it just hit me.... He plans on using just the batteries to power the light without a stator.... why that did not click till just now idk...

4 hours on one of those batteries is not bad. Wiring two, or more together with a switch should be a sweet set up...

It has it's down sides. Like if your camping for more then a day and don't have a way to charge the batterie well your not going to be doing much night riding after the first day. The big plus for me is cost. I can still do some night rides without the large expense. If I was going street legal I would look into a stator but IMO the yz is just not a street bike. The drz tags expire at the end of this mouth and with the new bike I have been thinking about playing it but who knows I will most likely just renew online and not spend the time and money to plate it also.