With All the fires...

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
At what point are a few more roads going to make sense? :confused:

Granted I am not familiar with the areas that are on Fire but it seems to me that with a little less "Green" influence there would probably be more roads and trails going through that area that could help move equipment and Fire Fighters around. In addition to that the roads could be acting as fire breaks.

Wasn't that the big problem with the Fires in New Mexico a couple of years ago. No access, therefore no roads, and therefore no way to fight the fires... :confused:

I think a little two track would less "envasive" and have less "enviromental impact" than the 50,000 plus arces that are now burnt or burning...

Am I the only one who thinks this way...

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
I agree. A couple years ago when there where alot of fire's close to Nephi the forest service made a couple roads to get to the fire, and those roads turned out to be a pretty good wheeling place.

Chewy

More roads won’t necessarily solve the problem. Firefighters are facing lots of grass and vegetation from a wet spring, dry lightning, wind, low relative humidity, steep terrain, stupid people who build their house in the middle of a forest of trees and grass… I’ll bring the marshmallows!

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Chewy said:
More roads won’t necessarily solve the problem. Firefighters are facing lots of grass and vegetation from a wet spring, dry lightning, wind, low relative humidity, steep terrain, stupid people who build their house in the middle of a forest of trees and grass… I’ll bring the marshmallows!

they will provide a means for the firefighters to access said areas.

Chewy

you are right, more roads can help. I'm simply saying in this situation more roads won't put out the fires. Firefighters in southern Utah have been struggling to save houses and neighborhoods. In most of the areas where the fires have been has had adequate roads.

Cory

Fires suck, especially if you have a home near the fire, but IMHO roads or lack there of is not a major issue. The issue is the build up of dry fuel due to fire suppresion for the last 100 plus years.

Of course the greens are still to blame for a portion of this problem :D . If they wouldn't fight to prevent all logging activities and if they were more willing to allow some fires to burn, and didn't fight against control burns then the fires would be much less dramatic and intense. Unfortunately, fire is necessary for a healthy eco-system here in the west.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
James K said:
If you're going to try and make sense of all this, then your not playing the game right.

James, my friend, you are king of classic one liners. :D I think that this statement sums up most of the "logic" behind the "Greenies" no access way of thinking.

Chewy said:
"more roads won't put out the fires."

BTW for the record I don't think that roads are going to "stop fires" or will "put out the fires"

"put[ing] out fires" would require fire fighters and other equipment to get to where the fire is silly. :rofl: ;) :rolleyes:

ACCESS to the land BEFORE there is a problem would help

Chewy

For the record, I’m not sure what a “greenie” is, and since I’m accused of such crimes perhaps you could fill me in on the subject. Don’t get the wrong impression of me, I love new roads! I’m guilty of making them.

I’m just adding my 2 cents about fire. The reason I know… I was a firefighter. I’ve had my fair share of fun on southern Utah fires. Roads in the desert are not a huge problem and if they are we fly in. Chances are if there are no roads than there isn’t much worth saving. As Cory put it, maybe it’s healthy to let it burn.

I recently talked to friends who are on the southern Utah fires and the Vegas and Mesquite fires. I can assure you in this particular area roads where not a factor.

I’m not saying roads are bad; I’m answering your question about the fire… silly.