Work work work. Anyone else live to work?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
As of today I've worked at my job for ten years and that has given me a lot to think about. I feel pretty accomplished however in recent history I've had 5 days off since mid June and my head is about to spin off :chris: I LOVE my profession and it has been very good to me and my family so don't take this the wrong way but the forecast is saying 7 day weeks with no end in sight... Doh. In two years I'll but up to 4 weeks of vacation and I'm thinking about taking it back to back and spending it in Alaska. Yeah, that would be a nice.

Anyone else work a lot? What do you do to remain mostly sane?

Last edited:

Cascadia

Undecided
I feel like that all I do these days. I frame and build homes for a living. The plan was to have enough work to keep guys busy which would give me the chance to find more work and more guys. It has backfired on me. I can't find enough guys that can be trusted to do homes without me there. So I am there all day everyday, and a lot of Saturdays. It is my own company so I can take off when I want but it leaves me feeling like nothing is getting done and that I have to fix everything when I get back.

To stay sane I play with my boy when I get home, try and ride my bike when I can, look for new hobbies I won't have time for, and enjoy every minute with my family. I also look for more employees and work when I'm not working. So basically I work.

muleskinner

Yep, 70-90 hours a week, most weekends included. I was out here last night until midnight, then back out at 6 AM this morning. Still here. I like my job, but the 45 mile drive each way can get old sometimes. I'm going to head home and work on the crawler for a while until I have to come back out later this afternoon.

I usually stop and shoot something once or twice a week to keep my sanity:D

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I work two jobs and was working 75-80 hours a week and I finally got sick of it and decided that no matter what I was going to take time off... so I cut back to just 60-75 hours and it feels alot better... but still have not time to do anything it seems...

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Not healthy imo. I'm not afraid of burning the candle at both ends and I'm often in the shop before the sun comes up and not out until morning again, but there needs to be some payoff in site. I'll go from a full day in the shop, quick dinner with the misses and head up to work on our race car until 2-3 in the morning and then repeat. But... I wouldn't if it was just a 'job'. Travel invigorates me, much like hunting, religion, exercise, etc does for others... find what invigorates you and make more time for it. I'll sleep when I'm dead :D

LT.

I usually am very lucky if all i work is 50 hours. But, the norm is around 70 and up. I like the folks i work with and that is a huge help. The folks i work for is another story. For sanity i hang with my family, shoot, and try to wheel. I wish there was more time for wheeling but, there isnt. Shooting is a fantistic way to blow off some steam.

LT.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Ive been working more hours this year than I ever have.

Not near as many as a lot of you but Ive been 50-60 hours lately.

I also work construction but its just me and my Dad. We dont hire employees. I find its just as much work having them as to do the work myself. And I get all the paycheck that way.

Ive always just busted my ass for 4 days a week so I could take a day off a week to play. That doesnt happen anymore. I just bust my ass 6 days a week just to keep up. Crappy part is I have noticed NO difference in paychecks. Prices are way to low.

As for staying sane.....please let me know when you figure it out because Im about to lose it!

Dont get me wrong. I am not scared of work and I actually enjoy it and will work as hard as anyone....WHEN im getting paid what Im worth. Working for peanuts is depressing

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I say count your blessings. Too many people have no work.. Including myself currently.. I was busy busy, but a simple climb in interest rates and I'm sucking pond water now.
However, I agree with Kurt, you've got to get the playtime in or it's all pointless.
Remember, no headstone ever said "I wish I had spent more time at work"

rollover

Owning your own business you will always work {24/7 365}.

You have pressure an employee never sees, marketing, product expansion, customer service, accounts payable, accounts payable, taxes, CPA, legal services and lets not forget employees. Each employee comes with their own suitcase of quarks and problems, wife/husband, kids, friends, family, car/transportation this list is endless but it all effects how things go at work. As the Boss your responsible for their livelihood as well.

Money, taxes, regulations, product quality, customer service are always on the owners mind even when you get away for a day here or there. When I get back what will I have to fix or address this next week on top of what you do normally.

Still I'd have it no other way.

JM2C

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I feel like that all I do these days. I frame and build homes for a living. The plan was to have enough work to keep guys busy which would give me the chance to find more work and more guys. It has backfired on me. I can't find enough guys that can be trusted to do homes without me there. So I am there all day everyday, and a lot of Saturdays. It is my own company so I can take off when I want but it leaves me feeling like nothing is getting done and that I have to fix everything when I get back.

To stay sane I play with my boy when I get home, try and ride my bike when I can, look for new hobbies I won't have time for, and enjoy every minute with my family. I also look for more employees and work when I'm not working. So basically I work.

A good friend of mine has this exact same problem. Too many worthless people out there, can't trust any of them. :(

ricsrx

You have pressure an employee never sees, marketing, product expansion, customer service, accounts payable, accounts payable, taxes, CPA, legal services and lets not forget employees. Each employee comes with their own suitcase of quarks and problems, wife/husband, kids, friends, family, car/transportation this list is endless but it all effects how things go at work. As the Boss your responsible for their livelihood as well.

Money, taxes, regulations, product quality, customer service are always on the owners mind even when you get away for a day here or there. When I get back what will I have to fix or address this next week on top of what you do normally.

JM2C

I don't have the balls to go out on my own because of all the above, I know it would be worth it

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time

JM2C

This is why my business is lacking.. I play too much, and don't work enough..

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
i work because there is nothing else to do. i'm bored out of my mind. i feel bad for my wife who has been cooped up with the kids in the 2 bedroom apartment for the last year. North Dakota sucks.

my job was supposed to be interesting, but lately it has become monotonous and i'm not accomplishing anything new. I'm dying to move and live somewhere else. i want to start a business with a good friend in Utah. I'm tired of working for people who don't care. I know I can be more successful on my own. I'm tired of not caring about what i do.

I am thankful i have a job though. i was unemployed for 4 year previously. I also lost a business I had for 2 years. I just want to so something i care about.

I take my family back to Wyoming at least once a month for a long weekend. We have no family up here.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I work to play... put in my 40 hours (but sometimes 60+ if the SHTF) over 4 days and call it good. I forget about work when I'm not there, 3 day weekends give me plenty of time to have a life of my own and still collect a paycheck. I'm not getting rich by any means, but I feel like I have a great balance of work & play life and I feel that is very important.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
i work because there is nothing else to do. i'm bored out of my mind. i feel bad for my wife who has been cooped up with the kids in the 2 bedroom apartment for the last year. North Dakota sucks.

my job was supposed to be interesting, but lately it has become monotonous and i'm not accomplishing anything new. I'm dying to move and live somewhere else. i want to start a business with a good friend in Utah. I'm tired of working for people who don't care. I know I can be more successful on my own. I'm tired of not caring about what i do.

I am thankful i have a job though. i was unemployed for 4 year previously. I also lost a business I had for 2 years. I just want to so something i care about.

I take my family back to Wyoming at least once a month for a long weekend. We have no family up here.

My brother and his family have been up in ND as well for over a year, he works hard and loves his days off taking the kids out on their fishing boat, he is even applying for a doe tag. He owned his own business for 8 years and doesn't miss it, he makes less money now but the benefits are good and he isn't married to the business.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I work to play... put in my 40 hours (but sometimes 60+ if the SHTF) over 4 days and call it good. I forget about work when I'm not there, 3 day weekends give me plenty of time to have a life of my own and still collect a paycheck. I'm not getting rich by any means, but I feel like I have a great balance of work & play life and I feel that is very important.

I look at it the same way, I'm not out to get rich and would rather play on the weekend instead of making more money. I have seen the effect on families where the dad works too much to spend time with their families, your kids are only young once.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I look at it the same way, I'm not out to get rich and would rather play on the weekend instead of making more money. I have seen the effect on families where the dad works too much to spend time with their families, your kids are only young once.

We don't have kids.... so, I'm only young once.