Working on a video edit... music or no?

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I'm finally working on a video edit, the video will probably be about 10 min long and it's just driving... there is sound from the mic on the camera, but it's not much. I'm thinking about adding some low volume background music, considering some random dubstep. Any thoughts? What do you prefer to watch, vids with or w/o music?

Pile of parts

Tough call as not all have the same music taste. If there are healthy sounding engines - don't drown them out. If it's just a driving video, music will probably be good.

Greg

Admin
I hear you, I feel the same way... I know plenty of people don't care for dubstep, I really don't really either, but it' something that's easy and doesn't usually have copyright issues like normal music.

Stock, quiet engine... you hear the suspension banging around more than anything.

STAG

If you wanted to get really fancy (which you probably dont) I'd say music it up, and in the parts with good motor sounds overlay those drowning out the music.

Greg

Admin
I don't think there are really any good motor sounds... the Land Cruiser is pretty quiet, we were going slow for the most part and we weren't pushing it hard at all, so no real engine sounds. :(

Corban_White

Bikes, sleds, ATVs, etc. I like to hear the engine. Otherwise, music is fine. If there is nothing to hear and I don't like the music it's not hard to hit mute.

Greg

Admin
Here's the footage I was working on... the music isn't as loud as the camera was, but the wind noise from the camera is a bit annoying. I think the music worked out OK... I used a remix for the first song, then apparently due to the transition between the 2 other songs Youtube didn't catch them for copyright issues. Fine by me!

[video=youtube;TQYWmWAvso0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQYWmWAvso0[/video]

Greg

Admin
Yeah, the wind noise was pretty annoying... I liked the sound of the tires splashing thru the water and didn't want to minimize it. The idea I had was to have the music not overwhelm the video, but after seeing the finished product I do wish I had the camera volume down to 75% and the music at 100%.

I didn't think there were any boring parts.... :p I've slowed down and sped up vids in the past, working with new software and still figuring it out. ;)

Greg

Admin
Just like you can clip and edit video, you can clip and edit music. Raise and lower levels in different spots.

Yeah, it's just a matter of finding the right balance with the wind noise from the camera... I've re-edited the vid with more music and less wind noise and it's uploading now.

I did buy Sony Movie Studio 13 Platinum and started using it yesterday... it's so nice! Way better than GoPro's editing software.

Greg

Admin
OK, the new edit... less wind/camera noise, more music. No other changes... Any better?

[video=youtube;ReSMtAVJDlc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReSMtAVJDlc[/video]

Greg

Admin
A couple things I don't like... the size of the screen on Youtube and how easy it blurs with anything that moves fast. I set the edit to match the source (camera) which was 1280 x 960 and the frame rate was 48 FPS.

Looks like I need it to be wider and more FPS on the frame rate.