worth of SM-465 tranny?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
If you went to a trany shop and bout a rebuilt one, you could expect to pay about $500-600.00.

If you went to a junk yard and bout one would would pay about $75-100.00 for one.

The good thing about the 465 is that they are almost bomb proof and they are a dime a doz.

Get a used one and build it yourself. I did, $300.00 ish.

ok that gives me a good estimate. i actually already have the tranny in my truck, but i am looking to trade it and the engine out so i can have fuel injection and over-drive. yeah i really do like the transmision, its pretty tough and the first granny first is nice. it just isnt too good for a daily driver.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Are you the one that was trying to sell that truck last year? I am glad you decided to keep it I have wanted one so bad for years. I really don't see the need for a overdrive in a truck like that. If you think about it you shouldn't need one. With a granny low and enough torque from the engine you should be able to run axle gears that will alow you to get down the highway just fine in the 1 to 1 fourth and still be able to crawl along just fine. There is also a low gear set coming (or maybe it is already out for the NP205 transfer case. It will really let the big truck crawl. That heavy of a truck will never get good milage no mater what you use for gearing so don't base your drivetrain on economy. Trucks did just fine before they ever came with overdrives. I also have to say that a 700r4 would be too light in a truck that heavy. Do you really want to put a half ton tranny in your 5/4 ton truck? That truck really shoud have a big block in it also. It is very heavy. Just consider a 454, SM465, NP205 drivetrain, that is what I know will go in my M715 when (not if) I get one.

yeah, i decided to keep it. i never really wanted to sell it, which is why i never did i guess. if your looking to buy an m-715 go to www.m715zone.com. they know a lot on that website and they have a lot of trucks on there for sale. it has been a big help for me. a lot of peolple on that website have 700r4 transmissions, and they say they work very well, granted they may be a little weak, but thats why i onley want a 305, and i can keep the divorced np-200. this will work nice for me because with overdrive i will be able to go faster on the highway, and is a lot quieter. not that being quiet is all that important, but when i drive it back and forth from Utah to New Hampshire all the time, it gets a little boring, especailly when top speed is curently 55 MPH. and when i get the engine and transmission for free (that includes computer and wireing harness and such). well anyway, good luck with finding an m-715. let everyone know how it goes when you get one.
-Brian