Wrong way driving --- WTF? Seriously, how's this happening of late?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member

Did this happen all the time and just not get reported? I have no idea on solutions. Stronger punishment for DUI? Like car confiscation and such? How do people strat taking this seriously?

That bus might be one of the safer vehicles on the road? The rear axle is knocked loose. Incredible impact for sure
1711067525177.png1711067547413.png

1711067498666.png

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I blame distractions. Research has shown that having a hands-free phone conversation is just as impairing as being legally intoxicated, and messing with nav or texting is even worse.

We treat driving as a right in this country. Our driver's tests are a joke. I think we should treat it as a privilege, and be pretty quick to take it away from people who abuse it (or just suck at it).

Wife and I happened on a really bad accident on I80 10 years back where a car full of 4 folks pulled west on the eastbound side and hit traffic head on. They were all alive when we came upon them and drunk as could be. My wife had her EMT kit, so we stayed and did what we could until EMS and life flight arrived and took over. I never tracked what happened, but based on their condition, it would surprise me if any of them lived. Luckily, the folks they hit had newer cars with air bags and were going to be ok for the most part. I'm honestly not sure how you eliminate this without just locking them all up in jail.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
If a drunk driver dies, I shed no tears. It’s all the innocent drivers and passengers on the road that I fear for. I think drunk and distracted driving should be punished way harder than it is. First offense should be loss of license for a year. Second offense should be permanent. Have fun walking.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I blame distractions. Research has shown that having a hands-free phone conversation is just as impairing as being legally intoxicated, and messing with nav or texting is even worse.

We treat driving as a right in this country. Our driver's tests are a joke. I think we should treat it as a privilege, and be pretty quick to take it away from people who abuse it (or just suck at it).
If a drunk driver dies, I shed no tears. It’s all the innocent drivers and passengers on the road that I fear for. I think drunk and distracted driving should be punished way harder than it is. First offense should be loss of license for a year. Second offense should be permanent. Have fun walking.

Distractions 100%. Crazy to me how people were less distracted trying to navigate with a paper map or atlas than they are today. Drives me bananas watching people drive. Rip along at 80 mph, lane adjacent is wide open. Come up on a truck doing 65. Think we move over before... naw I can't think that far ahead so I'll just slam on my brakes slow to 60 then move over (in front of me because I planned ahead and moved over) and now slow me down to 60 mph because I can't be bothered to speed back up.

The problem with pulling peoples licenses is the same as DUI drivers. Taking the license does nothing, they just continue to drive. Its not super easy to identify a driver with a suspended license driving around. You can't pull a car over because the registered owner has a suspended license. You have to find another reason or positively identify.

I rarely wrote traffic tickets as the po-lice. If you got one from me you did something egregious or talked yourself into one. Traffic tickets are nothing but revenue generators. As Kevin said driving needs to be a privilege again, and until its thought of that way again things will just continue to degrade. IMO some currently lesser traffic offenses should carry more weight. Make it a real penalty for them, hit them in the wallet, not just one small fine in court and you're done. If "crime" has no consequence it just continues, I give you Portland for an example. If someone is caught driving without a license, suspended, revoked etc etc.... to bad so sad that car belongs to the state. Sold at auction, money given to victims of motor crimes. So sorry you just bought that 40k car, that will help a lot of people.

We as a country have become softer than two ply. We need to stop worrying about having three bathrooms or who's feelings are being hurt, and solve real issues in this country before we go the way of Rome.

/soapbox

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
How does that shake out if there is a loan/lean on the vehicle still?
Seized asset, up to the bank to go after the arrestee. No different than a drug seizure for a vehicle. Didn’t want your credit jacked, and paying for a vehicle you don’t own…. Should have thought about that before you drove like a jackwagon

RustEoldtrux

RustEoldtrux
I drove from Moab to Grand Junction tonight in my wife’s 2018 Buick, and trying to figure out how to properly work the lights, cruise control and radio was a huge distraction compared to my older vehicles with simple knobs and switches. Manufactures of newer vehicles have made the controls too complicated and really hard to see, causing big problems.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
DUI is a major contributor but its also a method to attempt to unlife yourself.

The parleys crash on Dec 14 involved a neighbor (he was going the right way.) I hadn't met the kid but do know his parents. He was touch and go for a couple weeks but came home end of February. He got super messed up which is sad, especially for a 20-something year old kid just starting life.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Distractions are also a huge part of it. When my students first start driving a semi, they all comment on the fact that everyone they see is on their phone. Sitting up high in a semi puts you in the perfect position to see what people are doing in their vehicles while driving.

Modern autos are much easier to drive these days. You can get pretty lazy/inattentive and still make your way down the road. We all should go back to driving 1995 Jeep YJ’s with no cruise control. You definitely stay engaged while driving those.

Last edited:

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
Distractions are also a huge part of it. When my students first start driving a semi, they all comment on the fact that everyone they see is on their phone. Sitting up high in a semi puts you in the perfect position to see what people are doing in their vehicles while driving.

Modern autos are much easier to drive these days. You can get pretty lazy/inattentive and still make your way down the road. We all should go back to driving 1995 Jeep YJ’s with no cruise control. You definitely stay engaged while driving those.
I agree with this. Bring back Manual vehicles!

rholbrook

Some of it has to be assisted suicide. I know someone whose brother purposely walked out in front of Front Runner in Clearfield. This same family had a member cross over the road on purpose up near Mountain View Wyoming. He left a note on kitchen table.