XJ Axle upgrade

Chevycrew

You could go the route of superduty axles too.

They have pros and cons tho. 8 on 170 pattern, unit bearings, and its a ball joint axle. But the matching rear is already setup with disc brakes.

If your really on a tight budget and want one tons the superduty axles may be the way to go.

I have a set for sale, although thats not what Im trying to do here. I recently talked someone with cash out of buying my 60, he would have just been better off with the older axles.

Pm me if you want...

Silly Willy

You could go the route of superduty axles too.

They have pros and cons tho. 8 on 170 pattern, unit bearings, and its a ball joint axle. But the matching rear is already setup with disc brakes.
I wouldn't have thought of that. What are you looking for for a set of superduty Axles?

Also what cons are you talking about?

Silly Willy

Do you already have the xj, or is this something you're just feeling out?
I have the XJ its currently just on a 4.5" lift, with 33's.

but I am feeling out the build. I plan on having most of the roof chopped and a full roll cage done before this next winter, I am just Feeling out what/how I am going to do the axles. I am planning 37" tiers most likely a double triangulated rear with coilovers all around. I just am workign on the details for the axles, Hence this Thread.

blueovalyj

I don't understand why folks are saying ball joints are a con...the ones in a ford 60 are designed to hold the weight of a 7.3 diesel on a ton (and larger) truck. for some reason I don't think your XJ is gona weigh that much.
I have ran both king pin and ball joint axles with 42's for years. the thing i had to do with the king pin axle every year was tear it down and replace the king pin bushing...all i have to do with the ball joint is shoot some grease in it.
yea you can get high steer on a king pin axle "easier" but if you really need your steering that high solid axle makes a ball joint knuckle for the ford axle. the reason i say "that high" is because if you want to keep your ride as low as you can then your "high steer" is gona be into the frame. however if you flip the tie rod on the ford knuckles to the top instead of the bottom your really just a couple of inches lower than your high steer king pin axle.

just my .02

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I have the XJ its currently just on a 4.5" lift, with 33's.

but I am feeling out the build. I plan on having most of the roof chopped and a full roll cage done before this next winter, I am just Feeling out what/how I am going to do the axles. I am planning 37" tiers most likely a double triangulated rear with coilovers all around. I just am workign on the details for the axles, Hence this Thread.

Coilovers on a Cherokee? Crazy talk!

:ugh:

Silly Willy

Coilovers on a Cherokee? Crazy talk!

I thought I remembered seeing coilovers at least in the rear on your build, but I could be mistaken.

In facti found them in your Cheap Cherokee build...

attachment.php

Last edited:

Silly Willy

I don't understand why folks are saying ball joints are a con...the ones in a ford 60 are designed to hold the weight of a 7.3 diesel on a ton (and larger) truck. for some reason I don't think your XJ is gona weigh that much.
I have ran both king pin and ball joint axles with 42's for years. the thing i had to do with the king pin axle every year was tear it down and replace the king pin bushing...all i have to do with the ball joint is shoot some grease in it.
yea you can get high steer on a king pin axle "easier" but if you really need your steering that high solid axle makes a ball joint knuckle for the ford axle. the reason i say "that high" is because if you want to keep your ride as low as you can then your "high steer" is gona be into the frame. however if you flip the tie rod on the ford knuckles to the top instead of the bottom your really just a couple of inches lower than your high steer king pin axle.

just my .02

Personally Im not a fan of high steer, I agree completely on if you just flip the tie rod from the bottom to the top of the Knuckles better clearance, and can get more articulation. without hitting things. i think I will be going with the Superduty axles.

I'm planning on keeping about a 4.5" lift and making the 37's fit or at least will attempt it. Yeah my wheel well's will probably end up being to my hood, and rear window, but I'm okay with that. I do plan on "trying" to keep a low center of gravity.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Although not all of those pictures are of my XJ, it's true that mine has coilovers all around. You're welcome to come check it out if you want. I can help walk you through everything that's involved in the build. It's not the easiest vehicle to put coilovers on. I only chose the XJ because I happened to get offered one in good condition for free.:greg:

pELYgroso

'Merica
I had an xj at one point with a built d30 w/ long arms, and a built d35 w/ a 3 link and ran 36's and it did pretty dern good. busted a couple ujoints and outer shafts here and there but I never really romped on it too hard either. just something to consider.....if you plan on using a lot of skinny pedal, you'll break anything you put under it. if you're a little careful, just about anything can work for you.

Silly Willy

Although not all of those pictures are of my XJ, it's true that mine has coilovers all around. You're welcome to come check it out if you want. I can help walk you through everything that's involved in the build. It's not the easiest vehicle to put coilovers on. I only chose the XJ because I happened to get offered one in good condition for free.:greg:
I already have the xj, it was my first car at 16, once I started doing stuff to it, i've really never wanted to stop, as for being easy or not, I've never claimed I wanted to take the easy way out, I know that the XJ is a tough vehicle to put coilovers on, but the tough stuff and experience is all part of the fun.

I may have to take you up on that offer to come check it out. I was fallowing your build pretty much as soonas I saw it, would be nice to see it in person.