Xj D44

teknodestrukto

I tried a search and got nuthin' So here's my rookie question. What XJ years/models had a 44 in the rear? Anyone...

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
rckcrlr said:
'87 is you best bet, but not all of them, infact only a few...

Bolt-in:
One's with the tow package in '87. Best place to look is the XJ Wagoneer. XJ "legend" is that the D44 was available from '87-89.

Easily adapted:
The 8.8 is an acceptable alternative and is arguably stronger. Definitely more readily available and similarly priced. Cut off the perches and move them in slightly. Check your shock brackets and you need a conversion yoke or some driveline work.

A Toy rear seems pretty interesting to me. Available electric locker, but you'll need to run spacers as they're a little narrow and have a 6 on 5.5" bolt pattern.

Caleb

mbryson said:
A Toy rear seems pretty interesting to me. Available electric locker, but you'll need to run spacers as they're a little narrow and have a 6 on 5.5" bolt pattern.

I believe 2wd toys are a little wider AND 5x4.5"...what did Von use in his?

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
you could just get a waggy 44, the one i got had the correct distance between the spring perches, so i just bolted it on. but then you have 6 lug, just like the toy axle... i think they are very comparable so either way is fine.

teknodestrukto

I'm building a Jeep Speed truck so I have to use stock drivetrain. I have an '89 Limited with the tow package but the rear does not look like a 44 (too small?). Thanks for the input.