Jeep XJ front tube fenders/flares

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
Well Thanks to Cory (X1994J) for his mad welding skills and Stratton for his tube bender I was able to pull the trigger on some tube flares/fender. First it makes it legal again since my registration is due this month, second it adds protection third it will keep mud and sand off me with my half doors.

First we took some plate and lined it up with the body line and cut it to shape. It was not perfect but we got it close.

Next we cut two smaller pieces for the lower body line and welded them into place.

Next we bent tube. Cory and I have never done this so it was interesting. Considering our lack of experience we only make one wrong bend. We had enough tube that we were able to turn it around and start over. We would bend a piece line it up and then bend another one, line it up ect...

Next I clamped them into place and started to drill holes to keep it in place. I was thinking I was going to use counter sunk bolts for a clean look but decided against it and Cory suggested Carriage bolts. I like the way it is turning out. I will paint all the carriage bolts black so they wont be to noticeable. Had to do some trial and error to find the right hole to drill for the carriage bolts to fit just right.

Next was back to Cory's house for his welding skills and welder. Here we welded up the tube to the the plate.

I then made templates for the sheet metal that was going to go from the tubing to the fender. Cut them out and then Cory welded them into place. He was a stud at welding because he did a lot of welding that night. Well we finished them up. I took them home and started to grind them clean when my harbor freight grinder died. I am off to buy a new one today. Well finish cleaning them up and am going to have them powder coated next week. Then I will install them. I am going to do the entire thing black. I kind of dig the black rear quarter guards so now I will have some on the front. In the future I am going to do something similar with the rear but not yet. I want to give a huge shout out to Cory for all of his help and efforts. He is the MAN.
worthy.gif
headbanger.gif
thumbup.gif
clap.gif

kmboren

You're welcome Kevin ;) did you use my tube too? ;)
(Apparently my bender is like the village bicycle).
Looks slick.
You should definitely tie those into the bumper and sliders.

I guess I did use your tube too. Cory just had it there at his house. Let me know if I owe you anything for it. Cory never said anything. I do not have any plans on tying those to the bumper and sliders. I know it would make it stronger but these are pretty strong on their own. I like having the option to take it off if I need to. Same with bumper and sliders. That way when I trash this cheorkee enough to get another it is all easy to move it over. :D

kmboren

Finished and installed.

Will they are finished and on. I cleaned them up then off the get them powder coated. They came out nice. I silicon-ed around all the holes and on the edges to help keep out weather and prevent rusting. Also primed the fender before installing them onto it. I painted all the heads of the carriage bolts black to blend in. The color is semi-gloss black. On everything. I still plan on maybe adding a back support from fender to engine bay and know how I want to do it but I am in no rush to get that done.
Here they are installed. Again I need to thank Cory for all of his help.
headbanger.gif
shades.gif
clap.gif
thumbup.gif

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I guess I did use your tube too. Cory just had it there at his house. Let me know if I owe you anything for it. Cory never said anything. I do not have any plans on tying those to the bumper and sliders. I know it would make it stronger but these are pretty strong on their own. I like having the option to take it off if I need to. Same with bumper and sliders. That way when I trash this cheorkee enough to get another it is all easy to move it over. :D

That's cool, I'm not upset you used it. Let me know how many feet you used and you can either replace what you used or get me some money. I'll have to pm you about it.

Make sure you pay Cory for the top plate you broke on my bender (he ordered the new part for you). (You probably should have told me you broke it though)...

Cascadia

Undecided
Sounds like he's already tried to contact him privately. He'll see that someone posted up on his thread and want to check it out and see it for sure this way. And then feel guilty and get it taken care of...hopefully.