xj lifts??????????help me!!!!!!!!!!

xj beef

xj beef
i just bought a 1998 jeep cherokee. im wondering what the best kind of lift and height, would be good for krawling/some road driving. i heard that rock krawler makes a decent lift but the 3 link system is dangerous for road. sky jacker is way out of my price range. what about the rustys 6" to 8"long arm system? and is that a 3 link or 4 link front end. and how are those stock axles, would it be worth upgrading to some 44s and 60s or are the factory dana 30 and christler 8.25 decently strong.

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
We've got the Rubicon Express 4.5" superflex kit for my wife's XJ and it is AWESOME!!!!!!

You have to try to get a tire off the ground.

Very highly recommend it, unbeatable for the price.

utahxjer

www.rubiconexpress.com -great lifts

www.rustyoffroad.com not the best, I have some of his stuff and don't mind it

www.rockkrawler.com -also have some of their's and I like it

I don't think your gonna need D60's if your driving it on the road still. I'd say 98% of people with lifted XJ's have stock axles, most will upgrade the rear to a XJ D44, but that is it. If your going to drive it on the road I would basically stick with a D30/D44 combo, because if you get full width axles it might be kinda hard to get that to pass safety inspection.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
rockkrawler has a lot of failure prone items, i have talked to a lot of people that dislike their stuff.
rustys makes good springs and what not, but their longarm kits are not popular with people.

i would say rubicon express makes the best lifts available, hands down, the quality is amazing!!!!

go with stock axles till you break, then upgrade, thats what i did.

xj beef

xj beef
thanks for your responses, ive been researching and think ill go with rubicon express 5.5" system with a long arm up grade. ive been calling around and all the shops say that is a very dependeble liftf or rocks and road.
i will be running 33s do you think it would be a good investment to buy some gears and lockers, or no gears just a rear locker, or what? thanks.

xj beef

xj beef
i really want a 8" lift and run 35s because i dont see them around much and it would be sweet. should i go 5.5" rubicon then 2 inch puck or is that no good. what could i do there?

BigfootXJ

I like a 6" with 35s then 8" with 35s, lower center of gravity. bushwacker or rustys sell cut-out fender flairs that will allow 35s. Just my $.02 Gabe

Chiksic

Resident Stoner
I'd say get gears, definitely. I only run 31" tires, but I noticed a difference between 4.10's and 3.73's. Lockers are awesome things, too, though, so get both! But I'd say gears over a locker if it comes right down to it. And if you're running 35's, that's no question, ya gotta get geared.

xj beef

xj beef
Chiksic said:
I'd say get gears, definitely. I only run 31" tires, but I noticed a difference between 4.10's and 3.73's. Lockers are awesome things, too, though, so get both! But I'd say gears over a locker if it comes right down to it. And if you're running 35's, that's no question, ya gotta get geared.
what gears do you reccomend

DorkAlert

xj beef said:
what gears do you reccomend

Depends on what you want to do...It sounds like this is your daily driver so if you are going to run 33s you may want to go with 4:10s for economy...You can find gear ratio charts all over the internet...

jardine

hey dave if i were you i would go with the rubicon and 2 inch pucks or the rustys i think one of those two would be a good system. and for gears get 4.10s chase says that those are the best ratio if your going to be driving it everyday on the road and i have heard that if you go with 4.56s or 4.88s it tends to rev out really high on the highway. but hey im not a pro take advice from someone who knows alot. and are you still gonna run those 36 inch iroks?

xj beef

xj beef
jardine said:
hey dave if i were you i would go with the rubicon and 2 inch pucks or the rustys i think one of those two would be a good system. and for gears get 4.10s chase says that those are the best ratio if your going to be driving it everyday on the road and i have heard that if you go with 4.56s or 4.88s it tends to rev out really high on the highway. but hey im not a pro take advice from someone who knows alot. and are you still gonna run those 36 inch iroks?
yeah thats a good idea for the lift, and yes im still planning on running those 36 x 13.50 iroks unless some one says they dont like them. Iam gonna be doing some daily driving just around town and to school and stuff. not much freeway. so they shouldnt be to bad. does any one run iroks and are you pleased with them?

xj beef

xj beef
DorkAlert said:
Depends on what you want to do...It sounds like this is your daily driver so if you are going to run 33s you may want to go with 4:10s for economy...You can find gear ratio charts all over the internet...
thanks for the response ill look into that.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
xj beef said:
yeah thats a good idea for the lift, and yes im still planning on running those 36 x 13.50 iroks unless some one says they dont like them. Iam gonna be doing some daily driving just around town and to school and stuff. not much freeway. so they shouldnt be to bad. does any one run iroks and are you pleased with them?

That's a lot of tire for a D30. That's a lot of tire for a 297/760 joint without some alloy axles. I'd stick to 33" tires and a 5-6" lift if I did another XJ.

BigfootXJ

I've had no problems with 35 12.5s on a 15-10 steel simulock and stock D30! I havent even upgraded the u-joints! I'm hard on stuff, I've put that 4.0 through the paces. The D30 hasn't broke at all, not even a u-joint. the D35 on the other hand didnt stand a chance. I replaced that with a currie 9". But the mall isnt that hard on the grocery getter!! I like the skinny petal though. Gabe

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8701

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8702

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
this is going to sound stupid, but those allterrain looking tires you have are a lot lighter and less abusive on axles than irocs.

fatwreck

xj beef said:
you can run 35s with a 6 inch lift with out huge fender trimming and it will still suck up in the fender good and flex good?

Yes. :D

IMG_4844.jpg