XJ problem

ALF

SURE!?
Okay its a 96 with the 4.0 and an auto blah blah... If I start it and then stop at the gas station (before It warms up completely) it wont start again. It won't turn over at all. The jeep will power up lights will work, radio etc... But when you turn the key= nothing no clicking nothing :confused: . My stepdad ran a wire to the starter where all you have to do it put the key in the run position touch the wire to the battery and it fires right up but that sucks to have to do :( . This problem is non exsistant once it warms up. Any Ideas XJ Gurus

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
alf4444 said:
Okay its a 96 with the 4.0 and an auto blah blah... If I start it and then stop at the gas station (before It warms up completely) it wont start again. It won't turn over at all. The jeep will power up lights will work, radio etc... But when you turn the key= nothing no clicking nothing :confused: . My stepdad ran a wire to the starter where all you have to do it put the key in the run position touch the wire to the battery and it fires right up but that sucks to have to do :( . This problem is non exsistant once it warms up. Any Ideas XJ Gurus

I would say the start motor relay on the side wall i had the same problem with my tow rig or maybe since it's a Auto maybe it's not all the way in park try putting it in N and try to start it. Maybe the trans is cold. But i'm not an XJ expert. :confused:

Last edited:

utahxjer

Portrnrzuk said:
I would say the start motor relay on the side wall i had the same problem with my tow rig or maybe since it's a Auto maybe it's not all the way in park try putting it in N and try to start it. Maybe the trans is cold. But i'm not an XJ expert. :confused:
maybe the ignition switch on the steering column under the dashboard.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
utahxjer said:
maybe the ignition switch on the steering column under the dashboard.

Could be? I'm still thinking it's teh relay on the side wall. you should beable to run the jumper wire from the positive terminal to teh relay and if it turns over then the relay is good or if it clicks. If it dosen't do any of thoso two then maybe the ignition switch.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Might be the neutral safety switch. Mine sometimes won't turn over if it's not quite all the way into park. Usually I just have to push the shifter up a bit more, or just throw it into neutral and start it.

ALF

SURE!?
Brett said:
Might be the neutral safety switch. Mine sometimes won't turn over if it's not quite all the way into park. Usually I just have to push the shifter up a bit more, or just throw it into neutral and start it.

I guess any one of things could be it but do keep in mind once the vehicle warms up its fine, I don't think its the neutral safety switch or the ignition switch if it were them the bypass wire wouldn't start it either, right?

Caleb

alf4444 said:
I guess any one of things could be it but do keep in mind once the vehicle warms up its fine, I don't think its the neutral safety switch or the ignition switch if it were them the bypass wire wouldn't start it either, right?

not positive but I think it would start even if it was in gear because he basically buy passed everything by running the wire...I would have to go with brett and say its likely the neutral safety switch, once it warms up it shifts a lot better because the tranny is warm...when was the last time the tranny fluid was changed? may want to do that and then diagnose (or replace if it cheap enough) the neutral safety switch...

it could also be the relay, my old 88 ford would do something similar, if I hit any big bumps while I was driving it wouldn't start again till I got under the hood and jiggled the relay...then it would tart right up...

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
supergper said:
not positive but I think it would start even if it was in gear because he basically buy passed everything by running the wire...I would have to go with brett and say its likely the neutral safety switch, once it warms up it shifts a lot better because the tranny is warm...when was the last time the tranny fluid was changed? may want to do that and then diagnose (or replace if it cheap enough) the neutral safety switch...

it could also be the relay, my old 88 ford would do something similar, if I hit any big bumps while I was driving it wouldn't start again till I got under the hood and jiggled the relay...then it would tart right up...

Shift quality is not going to effect the ability for the vehicle to start. The PRNDLE switch(neutral safety) is most likely on the side of the trans, and would not be effected by the shifting of the trans. It would all be determined by the linkage.

As for your problem...have someone turn the key and check for power at the terminal on the starter relay, if its not present then I would guess the ignition switch. if it is present then it is a starter related problem. Solenoid, ground, quality of connections....etc.
Another thing you can do is hit the starter case with a rubber mallet while someone turns the key. The Chevs are notorious for having the armature "freeze" and the mallet will loosen it up.

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
alf4444 said:
I don't think its the neutral safety switch or the ignition switch if it were them the bypass wire wouldn't start it either, right?

Why wouldn't it?? He is esentially running power directly from the Batt to the starter solenoid....so yeah he is "bypassing" the Neutral safety switch and the ignition switch....

XJEEPER

mbryson said:
My XJ has neutral safety issues. I just put it in N to start if it won't start in park....

You can take them apart and clean them and they work like new........oh yah, I forgot you're in sub-zeroville..........wait til it's warmer.

My 89 XJ acted similarly a few years back and the starter relay was kissed.......
based on your description, it's likely that....... or old age is causing a similar joltage drop through the starter itself. Sounds like you're already bypassing the relay to bandaid the problem, so....... bad relay?

sams92xj

alf4444 said:

I have the exact same problem in my cherokee, I just put in nuetral and it starts right up. I have been told that there is somthing wrong with the sensor in the shifter.

bigjoe

alf4444 said:
My daughters '93 was doing the exact same thing just a few weeks ago. I thought of everytning that's been mentioned on this thread. I finally ended up taking the connector apart that goes to the neutral safety switch and did the test that the Haynes manual suggests. I jumped the park terminals and the jeep started right up. I called around and found that the switch is anywhere from 280 - 300 bucks. I just jumped the wire with a butt connector. The jeep hasn't failed to start since (cold or hot). Some of the side effects are that it will start in any gear and the reverse lights don't work when in reverse. I figure it's only a band-aid until it gets warmer and I can fix it correctly.