XJ question

crzyjeep

I met a Cajun down here in Louisiana who has a '96 XJ. He has a few problems that I am unsure of the causes and thought I would ask some of you who have more experience than me.

1- His oil pressure is running at ~60 gauge tops at 80
2- Temp gauge spikes at an idle and drops when driving
3- Cat converter just replaced now the engine light is on, the vehicle idles okay(other than heating up) but after driving for approx. 1 mile he says it gets sluggish

He has replaced the water pump, thermostat, and radiator.
I am not a weathered mechanic, but love to tinker and can follow a manual/blowout to work on most things. I wonder if the fuel pump is going out or if the filter is clogged, but really don't know. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

-Mike

RKCRWLR

Oil sending unit is likely bad. If it were really 80, you'll be pushing oil out of it. Common issue. Check the code but its most likely an O2 sensor for the check engine. Could have messed up the wires, or bad sensor. Easy to pinch the wires or pull 'em when doing exhaust work. If they fail, they run lean and heat like mad. That said, he could have my old Jeep... darn thing was always heating up. I NEVER got the heat under control on that engine. Best of luck!

PS.. not to be an arse, but check to make sure the cat got placed in the right flow direction. Still sound like O2 though to me...